User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default Tips and tricks for home, garden and nature

I thought i would make a topic where you girls(and guys?) can share some tips and tricks regarding to home, food, garden or what ever appropriate for this subforum.

Ill start with this home fragrance thing i came up with some time ago:

Instruction:

1: Get a plate
    2: Place a cotton ball on it
    3: Put some drops of essential oil on it(i like orange, orange flower or neroli which basically as far as i remember is just orange flower of some certain strain of orange grown mostly for this sort of stuff). How many obviously depends on how strong smell you want, what essential oil you use and how strong that oil is.
    4: Place the plate(s) somewhere in your apartment

Words of caution: Some essential oils might cause irritation to you or pets. So check the properties of the oil you are planning to use and keep in mind that some oils might cause irritation to your pets even tho it may be safe for humans. I wouldnt recommend using any in large amounts(as in many of these all over the house with dripping wet cotton ball) if you have pets.

It will surely be better than any of those (nasty chemical smelling)home fragrances you buy from supermarkets and will be cheaper in the long run.

Personally i only tested with orange and orange flower oils and they seem to last quite a long time and you can easily add few drops to make it smell and moist again.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes Codex liked this post

Oh! I'm in.

Bury your food scraps under mulch. I did this and now have two Japanese pumpkin vines growing nicely in my yard.

MBTI
    INTJ

Love this thread already!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Leaves make the best compost you can ever ask for in your garden. Just use one of those horrible leaf blowers with the shredder attachment, shred them into a bag, and pile them up high in a pile and let them bake all spring, summer, and fall without disturbing them. Come 1 year later, scrape the top leaves off and the dirt underneath is actually far easier to make and better than just hippy composting scraps thrown into an expensive composting bin.

Worms do better for people food--or another animal that eats scraps. Pigs or worms are easier to care for, don't care if it's 'red' 'green' or 'brown', the ratios are easier to figure out, and they eat almost anything. Worms are cheap and the bins to make for them are free or just as cheap. They process compost faster and safer than any of the balancing acts needed for compost bins. If you're looking for practicality, not having to think 'oh, will this be able to go in?' is a lot easier and better for the average joe trying to do better for the landfills.

The trick to good potting soil is variety. The forest naturally gets that variety from animals and the plants themselves as well as fungus. You'll get two out of those three with the leaves, worms will give you the nutrient density of the people-food-side of things. Mix a bit together with some ashes from a fireplace (plants love ashes and winter time people burn it like crazy) and you've got a better recipe for a garden than you could buy at a store.

BTW, Fig trees looove ashes. If you're feeling down about a fig tree not blossoming, they take years to start producing fruit (like almost any other annoying fruit tree) but if you throw your ashes along their roots all winter they love it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Leaves make the best compost you can ever ask for in your garden. Just use one of those horrible leaf blowers with the shredder attachment, shred them into a bag, and pile them up high in a pile and let them bake all spring, summer, and fall without disturbing them. Come 1 year later, scrape the top leaves off and the dirt underneath is actually far easier to make and better than just hippy composting scraps thrown into an expensive composting bin.

Worms do better for people food--or another animal that eats scraps. Pigs or worms are easier to care for, don't care if it's 'red' 'green' or 'brown', the ratios are easier to figure out, and they eat almost anything. Worms are cheap and the bins to make for them are free or just as cheap. They process compost faster and safer than any of the balancing acts needed for compost bins. If you're looking for practicality, not having to think 'oh, will this be able to go in?' is a lot easier and better for the average joe trying to do better for the landfills.

The trick to good potting soil is variety. The forest naturally gets that variety from animals and the plants themselves as well as fungus. You'll get two out of those three with the leaves, worms will give you the nutrient density of the people-food-side of things. Mix a bit together with some ashes from a fireplace (plants love ashes and winter time people burn it like crazy) and you've got a better recipe for a garden than you could buy at a store.

BTW, Fig trees looove ashes. If you're feeling down about a fig tree not blossoming, they take years to start producing fruit (like almost any other annoying fruit tree) but if you throw your ashes along their roots all winter they love it.
    do the ashes of love ones work the best? since they're spirit can talk to the tree and tell the tree how awesome you are and that it would mean the world if they'd hurry up and produce figs?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Get rid of everything you don't need, use, or LOVE.

My parents are a bit hoard-y so I had to learn that one as an adult. So much easier to keep fewer things tidy than many things.

If things are getting messy, it's not time to reorganize, it's time to get rid of stuff.

Then you can organize.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Codex, ~ReggieRebel~, Poki liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    But i might some day need the small motor i salvaged from a toy car as a kid
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes gromit liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

My parents are a bit hoard-y so I had to learn that one as an adult. So much easier to keep fewer things tidy than many things.

If things are getting messy, it's not time to reorganize, it's time to get rid of stuff.

Then you can organize.
    my mom uses this philosphy and everytime i needed something she threw out what i needed a week previous. so don't listen to this advice
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes gromit liked this post

Haha. Yeah I'm talking about when you have more stuff than space to keep it.

I personally prefer to err on getting rid of a lot of small and cheap things (and MAYBE needing one or two of them later) than hanging onto all this junk (and MAYBE needing one or two items later).
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    yupp

Haha. Yeah I'm talking about when you have more stuff than space to keep it.

I personally prefer to err on getting rid of a lot of small and cheap things (and MAYBE needing one or two of them later) than hanging onto all this junk (and MAYBE needing one or two items later).
    I think it was a sash i needed
    In no likes experiment.

that is all