• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tips and tricks for home, garden and nature

Chthonic

If you grow Ammi Majus in your garden you will never have a problem with aphids. Umbellifers are a lady bug nursery who will then farm the aphids and consume them all. Ammi Majus makes a beautiful cut flower and looks amazing as a backdrop in the garden.

798.jpg

Curl grubs are a beetle larvae that devastate mature plants and grass by consuming the roots, killing the plant. They are a massive problem for many gardeners and they were a terrible infestation in the garden I worked a few years ago. When I first started cultivating the yard every time I turned the earth over there would be loads of these. I threw them into the chook yard. But over time I noticed something very interesting. When we cultivated the earth worm populations in various garden beds, the curl grubs disappeared. Within 6 months we eliminated them completely simply by encouraging earth worm populations to grow by turning green matter directly into the soil. I have yet to find any scientific explanation for this but it worked.

Beetle_Larvae_Lg.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
D.E. is one of the best anti-bug agents ever. Since it's only silicone, as long as you don't have dogs directly breathing it in for a while and you go out on a not-so-windy day, sprinkle the stuff on the ground and let it sit overnight.. you can also treat carpets with it and vacuum it up after.

Most bugs are attracted to light colors, heat, food, and light. So a white saucer filled with some soapy sugar water with a lamp directed onto it will let you know if you're having a bug issue or not.

Fruit flies are always a problem where I'm from, and they get into the house somehow no matter what you do. Keep your vegetables used up, stored properly, and food sealed to keep them from getting into your house. Although, they will tell you quickly about that potato that rolled into the back of the pantry without you knowing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ One of these days I'll have a decent garden.. I like roses when they're growing outside.. but I struggle with the fact that it seems every rose I've ever planted has attracted copious amounts of bees in comparison to other flowers. @_@

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coffee grounds are not only crack for earth worms and draw them from afar (high carbon content). But they also blend perfectly with your garden soil. Dump at will your plants will thank you for it.

So if you have a compost pile with coffee help attract worms?