User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default How to season a roast?

I'm gonna do one in the crock pot, I know onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, and towards the end add potatoes, but do i need to add any liquid such as beef stock or water and what herbs sage and rosemary?
    @EJCC @Showbread
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm gonna do one in the crock pot, I know onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, and towards the end add potatoes, but do i need to add any liquid such as beef stock or water and what herbs sage and rosemary?
    I'm waiting for @kyuuei /Gordon Ramsay to chime in, but there should be enough fat that it could be ok by itself, however, I usually add like a cup of water or beer. Or what I really love is Zesty Italian, like 2 cups. It's goddang delicious. Probably no matter what you do, if it's in a crockpot at around 5-7 hours, it'll be delicious. I've also added dried Onion Soup mix with great success.

Never tried beef stock, but that is very common.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes prplchknz, EJCC, Codex liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Italian dressing abd beer sound yummy. I use olive oil also for additional juicyness.

just remember, It is a sin to eat meat fat. man is not supposed to eat the fat of meat as it is meant as an offering to God only.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah I'd add at least a little bit of a liquid. Beer sounds REALLY good @johnnyyukon.
    Last edited by EJCC; 12-04-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Yeah I'd add at least a little bit of a liquid. Beer sounds REALLY good @johnnyyukon.
    @johnnyyukon as well, yeah I have some fat tire maybe a bottle of that or half a bottle.
    Last edited by EJCC; 12-04-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hm. Roast I don't do much because we ate it on the weekly growing up (it used to be a cheap cut of meat people didn't really want..) but I do it occasionally.

Crock pot, slow cooking is best if you don't want an oven on forever. The roast is hopefully fatty enough to melt it down and be its own basting... but I do add liquid because it just freaks me out trying to cook things in a crockpot without liquids. The liquids help cook evenly, and on top of that make clean up way easier. I add beer generally, and a bottle of it is more than enough and you can probably get away with half a bottle.

(I'm the queen of freezing-for-later, and wine and beer happen to be things people tend to not polish off at parties. I don't drink beer, so I freeze wine and beer leftover in muffin tins and then store them in baggies for recipes. The beer doesn't have to be stellar quality to cook well, and in fact makes you feel less guilty about alcohol waste if you use rejected watery beer. I save fancy beers for stews.)

The vegetables themselves lend to flavor, and the roast actually has its own flavor.. the more spices you add, the more you'll alter it. I like dry rub/BBQ style spices because I'm from Texas and we put that shit on everything. But beer mellows them out, and lets the roast shine through. An alternative that you could use that's getting really popular lately is hard apple cider. Either way, something not too overpowering works. Chicken broth would definitely work and be cheaper, but I think the beer adds something to it the chicken broth just lacks.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Pot roasts w/veggies isn't my favorite but I do make this, sometimes with and sometimes without the vegetables but the gravy is so good.

2 1/2 pounds beef or pork roast; (up to 3 pounds) (can also use a pork roast)
    1 packet Good Seasons zesty Italian dressing
    1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
    1 packet brown or onion gravy
    1 packet au jus

1 onion
    1 garlic
    potatoes
    carrots

Mix together packets of dressing and gravy, then coat roast on all sides. Place in crock pot, and add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. I will also usually add some fresh minced garlic cloves (3 or so) and one small onion that I've chopped up at this time. Turn crock pot to low temperature. About four hours later, I add potatoes and carrots. I'll also eyeball the roast at this time, and will sometimes add another packet of onion gravy or au jus gravy and another 1/2 cup of water. Let roast and vegetables cook another 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until potatoes are tender and roast is 150-160 degrees. Remove vegetables and roast from crock pot, pour juice in crock pot into sauce pan. I make a thickening agent of cornstarch and water to add to the juice. Bring to a boil until it thickens, stirring constantly.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Italian dressing abd beer sound yummy. I use olive oil also for additional juicyness.

just remember, It is a sin to eat meat fat. man is not supposed to eat the fat of meat as it is meant as an offering to God only.
    That explains why it's so sinfully delicious.

MBTI
    INTP

I use spices and onions.....these depend on the meat in question. i find stronger spices like paprika work better with red meats. and not overdone, but like a light coating on the outside.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    (I'm the queen of freezing-for-later, and wine and beer happen to be things people tend to not polish off at parties. I don't drink beer, so I freeze wine and beer leftover in muffin tins and then store them in baggies for recipes. The beer doesn't have to be stellar quality to cook well, and in fact makes you feel less guilty about alcohol waste if you use rejected watery beer. I save fancy beers for stews.)
    We had people over this summer and someone brought lime beer. While I like one, there were 4 left, no one would drink them all. I threw a couple cut up chickens in a big freezer bag, added 2 of the lime beers, garlic, salt and pepper, a little cumin and paprika and I put it in the freezer. I grilled them a few weeks later, the chicken was excellent. I'm sure I didn't invent this recipe or anything but it was a good way to use up the beer that would have sat in the fridge otherwise.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes kyuuei liked this post