User Tag List

First 12

I don't know how much time you have, but I like to brine meats if they're going to be roasted or slow cooked. It adds a lot of flavor and you don't need to add extra liquid to the pot.

Use as much brine as you need to cover your meat, but the basic formula is 1/2 gallon of water, 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. You can also add any spices you want. Let the meat sit in the water in the fridge for at least 2 hours but as much as overnight. The salt draws out the moisture from the meat and then it's reabsorbed with all the spices so the meat is juicy and flavorful.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't know how much time you have, but I like to brine meats if they're going to be roasted or slow cooked. It adds a lot of flavor and you don't need to add extra liquid to the pot.

Use as much brine as you need to cover your meat, but the basic formula is 1/2 gallon of water, 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. You can also add any spices you want. Let the meat sit in the water in the fridge for at least 2 hours but as much as overnight. The salt draws out the moisture from the meat and then it's reabsorbed with all the spices so the meat is juicy and flavorful.
    I bought the meat tonight (i needed creamer) i plan making it friday so if i do the brine thursday night and put in the crock pot friday when I wake up, after i brine it I'm guessing a throw out the brine, but do i do anything else special?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I bought the meat tonight (i needed creamer) i plan making it friday so if i do the brine thursday night and put in the crock pot friday when I wake up, after i brine it I'm guessing a throw out the brine, but do i do anything else special?
    Correct, you throw out the brine. You can still put a rub on it, which is actually what I like to do as well. Just make sure you pat the roast dry first to help the rub stick. You don't need to add any additional liquid, but if you want to for flavor (like with beer) you can, just not too much.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I assume this is a beef roast. Beer is a good choice, the darker the better, but wine would work as well. I usually save rosemary for pork or lamb, and use garlic, pepper, savory, and a bay leaf or two for beef. Rosemary's not "wrong", though, so if you like it, use it. If you want something different, cut up a rutabaga with the other veggies. Their strong, sharp flavor gets very mellow when cooked like this, and is a nice addition.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I'm probably gonna do half to 3/4th bottle of fat tire, a large onion, 1-2 carrots, 1 stalk celery, 2-3 potatoes, salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of olive oil. Just keep it simple
    @Coriolis, I like rutabaga, except iirc they're a bit of a bitch to cut up, plus i had already gotten all the stuff by the time you posted, next time i'll try that. I tend to avoid the grocery store, well mostly that parking lot as much as possible
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

I ended up doing half a beer, one giant onion (the ones that are slightly smaller than a newborns head), 3 small stalks of celery, 2 carrots, salt and pepper, and a splash of olive oil, potatoes will be added about half way to 3 quarters of the way through, hopefully it's good. the roast was 2.11 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In no likes experiment.

that is all