• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christmas Food

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
What are some of your favourite christmas recipes? (keeping in mind flavour counts more than tradition)

Please share ( recipes as well if you have any)!

I would like to bring something home cooked with me to dinner this year and could use some guidance :)

Last edited:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's kiiind of a tradition, but also tastes really good...
Cookies! All sorts. Either decorated sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, or just about any kind of home-baked cookies. They make a really great holiday treat.
Also, don't know if it's just me, but cinnamon... cinnamon cookies seem Christmas-y to me.

As for non-sweets, cheesy bread makes a really good Christmas dinner side dish. Or just an every day side dish. The point here is, cheesy bread is really good. :laugh:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cookies! All sorts. Either decorated sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, or just about any kind of home-baked cookies.

Not home-baked, but I could literally eat the cookie dough for these raw:

christmas-tree-cookie-dough-lip-balm.jpg

^#1 reason why I love Christmas and Halloween.

@ OP: My mom and I make a cake now that my grandma taught to us. During the holidays we like to keep my grandma's recipes a tradition so we do a lot of that. It's like a pistachio pound cake. I might post the recipe when I go home for winter break.

Because we get turkey on Thanksgiving, for Christmas dinner we usually have a ham steak. Otherwise we basically take Christmas dinner as Thanksgiving round 2 - green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce.

Not on the day of, but around this time of the year I love hearty warm food. I'll have any kind of stew. Vegetable, beef, all that good stuff. :wubbie:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stuffed shells with ricotta and spinach baked in marinara

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
A smoked ham that has been glazed in a series of dijon mustard, brown sugar, bourbon, and milled/crushed gingersnap cookies.

Pumpkin Mushroom stuffing, which isn't my recipe but I use a pumpkin bread recipe from a friend of mine that's somewhere finely between a cake and bread. I put the recipe on my cookbook somewhere. Pumpkin Mushroom Stuffing with fresh chives, tarragon, parsley and rosemary And that's the stuffing itself. It takes 2 days to prep the ingredients (i.e. turning the cake into overly dried out croutons) but my family likes this combo of recipes so much I have to cook it every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas now, whichever one I end up home for.

Black Bean Brownies with Dark chocolate chips

aaand I make a great peachy apricot chutney out of four easy ingredients which is also in my cookbook somewhere. That chutney + some cheese + a dried sausage + crackers is like an appetizer before Christmas dinner. It's best when you let it all settle for a couple days before digging in.

I make an olive sable (sort of like a sweet/savory cookie that sort of wanted to be a cracker when it was a kid) as well that people really enjoy, and you can freeze the pre-made dough ahead of time.

Warm fresh chocolate chip cookies made by my mom are my favorite though.

This year for Thanksgiving (I made enough for Christmas too) I made a cranberry sauce. It was my first stab at it, and everyone liked it a lot if they happened to already like cranberries.

1 1/3 cup red port
1/3 cup orange juice
A little less than 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 vanilla bean cut down the center
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
8 dried figs cut into small pieces and de-stemmed
1 6" long stem fresh rosemary sprig, leaves attached to the branch still
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
1 12oz bag cranberries
3/4 cup sugar

All the ingredients before the last two get combined in a pot. Boil it until the sugar and everything dissolves and stuff gets nice and hot. Reduce the heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes. Take the rosemary out, mix in the rest and crank up the heat to medium, stirring occasionally until the cranberries burst open.. 6-10 minutes. Once they're nice and softened up, turn off the heat, and use a potato masher to mash the mixture up into a thicker, richer paste. Alternatively you can blend half of it and then return it to the pot. Or blend all of it if you want it super creamy smooth. Either way, let it cool off completely, stick it in the fridge, and serve cold. This can be made like a week in advance too.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you plan on bringing something sweet or something savory?

My favorite Christmas food ever is banket.

banket+101.jpg

It is this amazing Dutch almond roll ... ughhh. So good.

Recipe here.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Christmas season food (when visiting parents):
  • Spicy oven-baked chex mix with Worcestershire and Tabasco
  • Mexican wedding cookies
  • Festively shaped sugar cookies with icing

Christmas season food/drink (with friends and without parents):
  • Ginger snaps
  • Hot buttered rum
  • Mulled wine/cider
  • Winter beer

Christmas Day food:
  • Southern-style brunch: Country ham or bacon, cheesy scrambled eggs, drop biscuits with apple butter
  • Chinese food (ordered on Christmas Eve) for dinner: Szhechuan eggplant, kung pao chicken, twice-cooked pork, vegetable lo mein

Will share recipes if I can find them online -- a lot of this stuff is only on paper, and at my folks' house

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Christmas season food (when visiting parents):
  • Spicy oven-baked chex mix with Worcestershire and Tabasco
  • Mexican wedding cookies
  • Festively shaped sugar cookies with icing

Christmas season food/drink (with friends and without parents):
  • Ginger snaps
  • Hot buttered rum
  • Mulled wine/cider
  • Winter beer

Christmas Day food:
  • Southern-style brunch: Country ham or bacon, cheesy scrambled eggs, drop biscuits with apple butter
  • Chinese food (ordered on Christmas Eve) for dinner: Szhechuan eggplant, kung pao chicken, twice-cooked pork, vegetable lo mein

Will share recipes if I can find them online -- a lot of this stuff is only on paper, and at my folks' house

That southern-style brunch sounds really good. I'm tempted to try it out this year. ;)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION]

Here's a recipe I found. 5stars and it looks right. Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells - Fork Knife Swoon

As far as the marinara sauce I like to make my own. Olive oil heated over a stove, a shitload of garlic (i usually use ~ 5 cloves), cook up the garlic and oil, add canned tomato sauce, a small amount of tomato paste if you like, and basil to taste. Bring to boil then simmer for as long as you want. Gets better the longer it simmers.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That southern-style brunch sounds really good. I'm tempted to try it out this year. ;)
You should! It helps when you use family recipes and ingredients. Traditionally, my family uses

- My great-grandmother's egg-scrambling method
- Ham/bacon that my grandmother sends over every year
- My mother's biscuit recipe
- My mother's apple butter recipe (prepared/canned way in advance, usually in the fall)

Would probably be really great with mimosas, but usually we have hot tea because my parents don't like mixed drinks.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For Christmas, I usually keep it pretty straightforward. I stick to beef such as..

Beef Tenderloin
Standing Rib Roast
Rib Eye Roast

Sides would include some potato dish like twice baked or steakhouse au gratin with cheese sauce and bacon. Roasted fresh vegetables and salad with homemade rolls.

Dessert is usually a Bûche de Noël. No reason other than I enjoy making it and Christmas should have a showstopper dessert.

I always make many kinds of Christmas cookies. Some family favorites (kifli or ginger molassas) and a couple new ones. I make Finnish Pulla for breakfast - it's the only traditional kind of pastry my husband ever asks for.

gromit

likes this
On Christmas Eve for many years when I was growing up we would have soft white rolls split and grilled in butter. We would eat them topped with bruschetta and marinated mozzarella balls. Spread out a blankie on the floor and eat it like a picnic, maybe watch a Christmas movie.

I have no idea how that started.

When I was very little my aunt did a huge family Christmas Eve party. Then she sold her giant house. But the past few years now, her daughter, my cousin, has started doing them. So the roll thing I guess was an interim tradition?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My family has a tradition of eating fondue (or possibly raclette, usually one on christmas eve and the other on new years eve) on christmas eve (the main christmas event in this country) and some sort of roast on the first and second day of christmas.

The few times I have stayed in town instead of seeing the family I have started a little tradition of my own of making duck breast with potatoes and a special sort of gravy/roux that contains a few spoonful of sweet jam-like asian sauce. As I only eat small portions anyway and the duck usually gives off a loooot of fat and produces masses of gravy, the gravy lasts for several further meals along the line (great on potato or rice with all sorts of vegetables).

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't celebrate Christmas but my mother would usually make duck a l'orange. A few years ago, I got in the habit of making pernil, plantains, rice and pigeon peas on Xmas. Fighting for the skin will work off the calories from the meal.