User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Charred octopus is really tasty, it brings out more flavor and helps with the rubbery texture. As far as sentience, I have no qualms with eating one until I can have a conversation with one, but I am happy when people err on the side of empathy in their food choices.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

So, if you don't feel a personal connection through conversation or something interpersonal, you cannot factor in the others' experience?

Octopus are begging to be eaten as calamari.

Try Thai-spiced Calamari Recipe - Taste.com.au - delicious!
    Likes GarrotTheThief, chickpea liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Octopus are begging to be eaten as calamari.

Try Thai-spiced Calamari Recipe - Taste.com.au - delicious!
    On this we can agree Mole, for I am a huge fan of the calamari being of hellenic origin, although I will say, Vas has made me think twice about it.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Tis not kosher.

#theend
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by NancyD View Post
    If a creature is sentient, they want to live and feel pain when they die. That is the only relevant factor. There are humans who are severely mentally challenged, but we don't think that means there is no issue hurting or killing them. It's a sentience issue - not an intelligence issue. So, yea, if you're eating animals, it makes no difference which one you ate - except to the animal. They all feel the pain. When people start trying to factor in intelligence and personality, it is just skewing the topic and extremely odd rationalization.
    It might not be logically rational, but it doesn't have to be because it's an emotional reasoning, and in this context that's ok. It's a personal decision (meaning, for one individual within themsevles) they're making.

For some, it simply makes them feel poor or guilty to eat something that they regard as "higher" or more intelligent. It's usually equated with higher value and a higher likelyhood of self-awareness on par with humans. If they feel a connection in some sort to it it's going to disuade them. It's not rational, but it doesn't need to be.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I'm sure intelligence has something to do with it. But if so, it must be selective. People eat pigs, and they're pretty intelligent.
    Found a good discussion on the 'selective' thing.

A recent study suggests that an animal’s perceived intelligence is the main factor in determining whether or not we will be disgusted by the thought of eating it.

The key word here, though, is “perceived”.

According to this study, people tend to ascribe lower levels of mental functioning to animals that they are about to eat.

So do we eat tuna because tuna aren’t very intelligent, or do we tell ourselves that tuna aren’t very intelligent so that we can eat them?
    Pigs aren't smart, if we define smartness by e.g. "lack of propensity to roll around in mud." There, done. They're now okay to eat. Sweet, juicy justification.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It might not be logically rational, but it doesn't have to be because it's an emotional reasoning, and in this context that's ok. It's a personal decision (meaning, for one individual within themsevles) they're making.

For some, it simply makes them feel poor or guilty to eat something that they regard as "higher" or more intelligent. It's usually equated with higher value and a higher likelyhood of self-awareness on par with humans. If they feel a connection in some sort to it it's going to disuade them. It's not rational, but it doesn't need to be.
    If you're going to go that far, what needs to be rational? We can just make emotional choices (reasonings?) based on preferences. However, I have a feeling this is when people start to say, "O no. You can't make emotional choices here. Only there." The point I was trying to make is it's really not a personal choice if you factor in another sentient being is involved. So, one person is making a choice that effects another sentient being.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by NancyD View Post
    If you're going to go that far, what needs to be rational? We can just make emotional choices based on preferences. However, I have a feeling this is when people start to say, "O no. You can't make emotional choices here. Only there."
    I don't know? I can't answer such a vauge question.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Found a good discussion on the 'selective' thing.

Pigs aren't smart, if we define smartness by e.g. "lack of propensity to roll around in mud." There, done. They're now okay to eat. Sweet, juicy justification.
    I don't agree with the theory that intelligence that mimics a human's is a factor. However, for people who think like that, scientists say pigs are as intelligent as 5 year old children.

But I like your comment. It proves my point.