• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

question to the people of the UK about grilled cheese aka cheese toasties

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
whenever i'm watching a show from over there and someones making a grilled cheese they always cook it open face then put it together, as over here its assembled before it goes into the pan. Is that a true depiction on how to make cheese toasties or is it cuz you have a queen it looks more sophisticated and since you have a queen the rest of the world must believe you drink tea with your pinkies out? or is it truly a more effecient way to cook it? whats the purpose of cooking it open face then putting it together after?

unless i'm confusing what a cheese toastie is and you have grilled cheese over there and they are different then ignore this.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
You get two pieces of bread and put them on the bottom plates of this machine here (called a "toastie-pie maker" informally).

2u5q6h4.jpg

Put cheese of top of the pieces of bread then put another piece of bread on top of that. Then flap the top plates down and turn the heat on. Most people use a mild, relatively hard cheese like Edam or Colby.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd reckon that when toasting on a grill (rather than in a "toastie-pie maker") that toasting a pre-assembled sandwich/toastie takes longer, but results in the cheese being more heated/melted than toasting each half separately (since the bread of the current "top" helps hold the heat in). Conversely, toasting each half separately is clearly more time efficient for a single sandwich, since each half gets toasted in parallel.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'd reckon that when toasting on a grill (rather than in a "toastie-pie maker") that toasting a pre-assembled sandwich/toastie takes longer, but results in the cheese being more heated/melted than toasting each half separately (since the bread of the current "top" helps hold the heat in). Conversely, toasting each half separately is clearly more time efficient for a single sandwich, since each half gets toasted in parallel.

makes sense I always do pre-assembled medium-just below medium put a lid on so the cheese melts quickly. and eat. once done

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
At my house we always made grilled cheese with two pieces of bread face-up (open) in the convection oven/toaster. We'd put the cheese on one side of the bread in the beginning or midway. Is that unusual for the States? :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
At my house we always made grilled cheese with two pieces of bread face-up (open) in the convection oven/toaster. We'd put the cheese on one side of the bread in the beginning or midway. Is that unusual for the States? :shrug:

yeah in the states you slather the bread with butter on both sides put cheese on close it like a sandwhich placeit in a preheated pan and cook

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This reminds me that I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich in YEARS :shock:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I find anything Alton Brown does is superior.

Grilled Grilled Cheese : ALTON BROWN

But it seems like the open-faced thing would create a theoretical faster cooking time, but a less convenient cooking strategy. I mean, if you get the heat right, you can cook a just-as-melty sandwich in the space of only one slice of bread vs two... Or two pre-assembled sandwiches vs just one at a time.. But I could see if you used shredded cheese, or if you were worried about flipping the bread and letting the cheese spill out, that cooking it open faced would remedy those problems. You could see the cheese melting.. But I suspect you have a cover the pan otherwise the cheese will stay cool and defeat the purpose entirely?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My grilled cheese sandwiches are god tier.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
You get two pieces of bread and put them on the bottom plates of this machine here (called a "toastie-pie maker" informally).

2u5q6h4.jpg

Put cheese of top of the pieces of bread then put another piece of bread on top of that. Then flap the top plates down and turn the heat on. Most people use a mild, relatively hard cheese like Edam or Colby.

Yeah that's how we do it in our house.

I don't think I've seen it done the way [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] has described myself. Normally if someone is cooking the cheese separately on top of the bread, then that's just cheese on toast, but from what I can remember I've never really squashed it together, I can't speak for the rest of the countries in the UK though, even my own.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I don't think I've seen it done the way [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] has described myself. Normally if someone is cooking the cheese separately on top of the bread, then that's just cheese on toast, but from what I can remember I've never really squashed it together, I can't speak for the rest of the countries in the UK though, even my own.
yeah that's how it is over here cooking cheese on top of bread= cheese toast. which is delicious btw

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

2u5q6h4.jpg

14397.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Cheese toast = weird

I usually put tomatoes and/or ham into the toastie as well.
no it's not it's basically a traditional grilled cheese with with out the top piece of bread

best grilled cheese I had was a grilled cheese with 7 different kinds of cheese fried green tomatoes and bacon mmmmmmm :drool:

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
itt: Uk and commonwealth trolls

toasties of peace

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just read a thing that says to butter and grill the bread on one side first, then assemble the sandwich with the grilled sides on the inside with the cheese, and then butter and grill as usual. Can't wait to try.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'll never understand how a thread about grilled cheeses, a thread about men's genitals disappearing, and a thread about my problem with typing others over a forum end up with a decent amount of posts. but I never considered toasted the bread then making the sandwhich then toasting the other side. not sure if that would work it might I dunno. Speaking of toast is putting olive oil on the bread then toasting it. I actually have a toaster oven toaster combo so in the morning I toast the bread normally then i put butter on it (and cuz butter's hard out of the fridge) i put in the toaster oven for like 30 seconds to slightly melt it and then take it out and put peanutbutter on it.