User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default question to the people of the UK about grilled cheese aka cheese toasties

whenever i'm watching a show from over there and someones making a grilled cheese they always cook it open face then put it together, as over here its assembled before it goes into the pan. Is that a true depiction on how to make cheese toasties or is it cuz you have a queen it looks more sophisticated and since you have a queen the rest of the world must believe you drink tea with your pinkies out? or is it truly a more effecient way to cook it? whats the purpose of cooking it open face then putting it together after?

unless i'm confusing what a cheese toastie is and you have grilled cheese over there and they are different then ignore this.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

You get two pieces of bread and put them on the bottom plates of this machine here (called a "toastie-pie maker" informally).

Put cheese of top of the pieces of bread then put another piece of bread on top of that. Then flap the top plates down and turn the heat on. Most people use a mild, relatively hard cheese like Edam or Colby.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I'd reckon that when toasting on a grill (rather than in a "toastie-pie maker") that toasting a pre-assembled sandwich/toastie takes longer, but results in the cheese being more heated/melted than toasting each half separately (since the bread of the current "top" helps hold the heat in). Conversely, toasting each half separately is clearly more time efficient for a single sandwich, since each half gets toasted in parallel.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I'd reckon that when toasting on a grill (rather than in a "toastie-pie maker") that toasting a pre-assembled sandwich/toastie takes longer, but results in the cheese being more heated/melted than toasting each half separately (since the bread of the current "top" helps hold the heat in). Conversely, toasting each half separately is clearly more time efficient for a single sandwich, since each half gets toasted in parallel.
    makes sense I always do pre-assembled medium-just below medium put a lid on so the cheese melts quickly. and eat. once done
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

At my house we always made grilled cheese with two pieces of bread face-up (open) in the convection oven/toaster. We'd put the cheese on one side of the bread in the beginning or midway. Is that unusual for the States?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    At my house we always made grilled cheese with two pieces of bread face-up (open) in the convection oven/toaster. We'd put the cheese on one side of the bread in the beginning or midway. Is that unusual for the States?
    yeah in the states you slather the bread with butter on both sides put cheese on close it like a sandwhich placeit in a preheated pan and cook
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This reminds me that I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich in YEARS
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I find anything Alton Brown does is superior.

Grilled Grilled Cheese : ALTON BROWN

But it seems like the open-faced thing would create a theoretical faster cooking time, but a less convenient cooking strategy. I mean, if you get the heat right, you can cook a just-as-melty sandwich in the space of only one slice of bread vs two... Or two pre-assembled sandwiches vs just one at a time.. But I could see if you used shredded cheese, or if you were worried about flipping the bread and letting the cheese spill out, that cooking it open faced would remedy those problems. You could see the cheese melting.. But I suspect you have a cover the pan otherwise the cheese will stay cool and defeat the purpose entirely?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My grilled cheese sandwiches are god tier.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    My grilled cheese sandwiches are god tier.
    then make me a sandwhich
    In no likes experiment.

that is all