User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Stealth RV/Van living and camping...

I'm in the process of a 125 square foot RV build, I just finished installing 1,380 watts of solar on the roof, a 6,000 watt AGM battery bank, sine wave inverter, chest freezer, stock tank bath/shower, I've fabricated everything from scratch to keep it completely stealth. All of the interior is aluminum or hardwood and while the interior is going to have to be a work in progress and adaptive to my needs as I figure them out, I have my power system functional and I'm about as under the radar as you can get on this large of a scale. I will post a picture here or there but figured I would start the thread and see what others have done or are interested in doing. I'm planning to leave in the next week for a couple months and decide if full timing is a good fit for me.

Here's a photo from a couple days ago of the sunrise over the solar panels.

sunrise.jpg

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

While I get off the grid living, you're describing this as stealth. Is there a reason for all the covertness?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    583 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    While I get off the grid living, you're describing this as stealth. Is there a reason for all the covertness?
    I think it's so you have more options for parking and you're less likely to get hassled. (Random blog post.)

RVs aren't allowed in some places. Cities may have ordinances against parking overnight, and RVs stand out. Sucks if you're full-timing. I've heard of people doing the stealth van thing while having a regular job. Commuting from outside the city seems like a waste of time and gas when your home can fit in a parking space.

While I doubt stealth camping is for me, I like the idea of designing my own interior for an RV. The people who design them tend to have an abysmal sense of taste. An the exterior paint jobs are hideous, too. Trying to maximize every inch of space would be fun, like solving a puzzle.

I love the idea of a roof deck—not skoolie style, something nicer looking and safer. I picture parking on an overlook, sitting on the roof deck with a cup of tea and enjoying the view.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Let me know how this works out for ya!
    @Ghost I agree on the RVs being awful design wise. It's just not acceptable with how much technology and potential they have now-a-days for them to be stuck in the dark ages.

Deciding to Make a Trailer My Home

I really loved this place, this girl used ikea to basically turn a really run down trailer into a very modern, nice home over the years.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

awesome! good luck.

take me with you
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Awesome! If I didn't have responsibilities, I would've dropped out a long time ago...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The issue with newer units is they're either built well and $500,000 diesel pusher class a motorhomes or they're built like crap, have a rubber (well, EMPD) roof, leak, rot, look like crap, are made of toxic chemicals and really aren't fit for human consumption. You can get a heck of a deal these days on 20 year old high end class a units but really, they just don't fit my needs... at all. I need easy to work on, off the shelve parts, I want to know how the entire system works and functions, I don't want to be scratching my head wondering why this is there or making compromises for things I don't want.

Here's a photo of my engine and transmission, hard to get any easier to fix. I could very honestly almost replace the serpentine belt myself from inside if it were raining, there is nothing but room!

116.jpg

What the heck is this thing based on, a stepvan?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    What the heck is this thing based on, a stepvan?
    Si! I said stealth! It's an old bread truck, I can hide it in or behind any grocery store in the country and sleep if need be.

Looks like it's got a Ford engine, so i'm guessing it's a Utilimaster.