• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stealth RV/Van living and camping...

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm in the process of a 125 square foot RV build, I just finished installing 1,380 watts of solar on the roof, a 6,000 watt AGM battery bank, sine wave inverter, chest freezer, stock tank bath/shower, I've fabricated everything from scratch to keep it completely stealth. All of the interior is aluminum or hardwood and while the interior is going to have to be a work in progress and adaptive to my needs as I figure them out, I have my power system functional and I'm about as under the radar as you can get on this large of a scale. I will post a picture here or there but figured I would start the thread and see what others have done or are interested in doing. I'm planning to leave in the next week for a couple months and decide if full timing is a good fit for me.

Here's a photo from a couple days ago of the sunrise over the solar panels.

sunrise.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I get off the grid living, you're describing this as stealth. Is there a reason for all the covertness?

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I get off the grid living, you're describing this as stealth. Is there a reason for all the covertness?

I think it's so you have more options for parking and you're less likely to get hassled. (Random blog post.)

RVs aren't allowed in some places. Cities may have ordinances against parking overnight, and RVs stand out. Sucks if you're full-timing. I've heard of people doing the stealth van thing while having a regular job. Commuting from outside the city seems like a waste of time and gas when your home can fit in a parking space.

While I doubt stealth camping is for me, I like the idea of designing my own interior for an RV. The people who design them tend to have an abysmal sense of taste. An the exterior paint jobs are hideous, too. Trying to maximize every inch of space would be fun, like solving a puzzle.

I love the idea of a roof deck—not skoolie style, something nicer looking and safer. I picture parking on an overlook, sitting on the roof deck with a cup of tea and enjoying the view.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Let me know how this works out for ya!
[MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] I agree on the RVs being awful design wise. It's just not acceptable with how much technology and potential they have now-a-days for them to be stuck in the dark ages.

Deciding to Make a Trailer My Home

I really loved this place, this girl used ikea to basically turn a really run down trailer into a very modern, nice home over the years.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
awesome! good luck.

take me with you

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesome! If I didn't have responsibilities, I would've dropped out a long time ago...

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The issue with newer units is they're either built well and $500,000 diesel pusher class a motorhomes or they're built like crap, have a rubber (well, EMPD) roof, leak, rot, look like crap, are made of toxic chemicals and really aren't fit for human consumption. You can get a heck of a deal these days on 20 year old high end class a units but really, they just don't fit my needs... at all. I need easy to work on, off the shelve parts, I want to know how the entire system works and functions, I don't want to be scratching my head wondering why this is there or making compromises for things I don't want.

Here's a photo of my engine and transmission, hard to get any easier to fix. I could very honestly almost replace the serpentine belt myself from inside if it were raining, there is nothing but room!

116.jpg

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What the heck is this thing based on, a stepvan?

Si! I said stealth! It's an old bread truck, I can hide it in or behind any grocery store in the country and sleep if need be.

93JC

Utilimaster used the P-30 Chevy chassis so it's a 350 in there.

Did you remove the distributor? Chevy V8s have them at the back. I figured it was a Ford because it looks like the plug wires are coming from the front.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Did you remove the distributor? Chevy V8s have them at the back. I figured it was a Ford because it looks like the plug wires are coming from the front.

You can see the cap at the back (in the middle) of the motor, it's flat with the 8 plug wires coming out.

93JC

You can see the cap at the back (in the middle) of the motor, it's flat with the 8 plug wires coming out.

Hmm, I can't see it.

Oh well, don't mind me, I was just being cheeky. Have fun renovating it. :)

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My god, you are living my dream.

It's scary as shit and I haven't even jumped off the edge of the cliff...yet but plan to this week. It's super hard to push out of your comfort zone with something like this for sure. What has stopped you from doing it?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's scary as shit and I haven't even jumped off the edge of the cliff...yet but plan to this week. It's super hard to push out of your comfort zone with something like this for sure. What has stopped you from doing it?

Lack of finances and mechanical knowledge, mostly. Substituting a 24-hour Fitness pass for a built-in shower might make a similar lifestyle more feasible for me.

Mole

Permabanned
I lived out of my volkswagon, but I was careful where I lived.

I parked and lived on the University campus, surrounded by all the physical facilities for free, with social facilities for free, educational facilities for free, sporting facilities for almost free, many different clubs and societies on campus, and I even had a girlfriend.

I took part in campus activities and was made a Life Member of the Student's Union.

I could have tried to be self sufficient, but instead I plonked myself in the middle of llfe, and reaped the benefits.