User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Organic vs. conventional vs. gmo

Which foods do you always purchase organic?

Which foods do you pass on organic and purchase that are conventional or GMO?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I don't have time at the moment to go into detail but I buy food
    That's it. This whole anti-gmo movement is driven buy a bunch of anti-science ninnies and it drives me crazy.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    This whole anti-gmo movement is driven by a bunch of anti-science ninnies and it drives me crazy.
    There are plenty of scientists/geneticists that are not in favor of genetically modified food, and some countries are even making different kinds of bans on it after their scientists recommended it. If you are a proponent of GMO food, that’s fine, but to claim that the “whole anti-gmo movement is driven by a bunch of anti-science ninnies” is a bit much.

I’m sure you could cite research and I could cite research...

But the fact of the matter is that neither side knows enough about GMO food to make any definitive statements.

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    But the fact of the matter is that neither side knows enough about GMO food to make any definitive statements.
    The fact of the matter is that there is a broad scientific consensus that marketed GMO foods pose no greater risks than conventional food.

"In contrast to adverse health effects that have been associated with some traditional food production methods, similar serious health effects have not been identified as a result of genetic engineering techniques used in food production. This may be because developers of bioengineered organisms perform extensive compositional analyses to determine that each phenotype is desirable and to ensure that unintended changes have not occurred in key components of food."
    The only viable opposition to GMO come from angles unrelated to human health.

Lastly, please have some common knowledge and sense of shame when choosing which websites to get your information from in the future, staying away from conspiratorial hovels such as GlobalResearch.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Lastly, please have some common knowledge and sense of shame when choosing which websites to get your information from in the future, staying away from conspiratorial hovels such as GlobalResearch.
    I could've linked a better site, true. I sort of just threw that one out there in haste.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Uhhh. The only organic foods I go out of my way to buy organic are ones that I like that have no alternatives usually (i.e. pink lady apples usually only come from the organic section around here), when they're on the clearance rack of my local farmer's market (that place has decent prices regularly so sometimes from there too), and when I grow it myself.

I know I'm suppose to care a lot.. and sometimes I do. I get in moods where I really want to care.. but I was raised poor, eating garbage and the same cheap foods each week, and I really think I came out okay despite it. I'd horrify vegan parents now-a-days telling them about my hot-dog and mayo sandwiches, the school lunches everyday where I'd have the same cheeseburger every single damn day, or how I ate nothing but pickles for 3 days in a row, or how I'd slam through 4-5 slices of that nasty American singles cheese in a day easily, meticulously eating around it until it became a fish so that I could pretend to be a cat and eat it.

I'm more conscientious now.. I make an effort to garden because it's better for you and it's cheaper. I buy cereals that are made with beans and such instead of sugary off-brand reese's puffs (you used to lose your head if you ate the last bowl of that in my house). I try to make healthier swaps now, and that's working really great for me. Using better sugars, non-fat milks or powdered milk (mostly because of the stupid amount of calcium in it for the price.. it's cheaper than supplements), fresh orange juices, etc. Keeps the costs down, but makes my diet really flexible.

I admire people who can stick with healthy foods 100% of the time--I watch them frequently on youtube and whatnot and how happy they are about eating raw dandelion weeds and shit. But it's not for me. I like fried chicken livers.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I know I'm suppose to care a lot.. and sometimes I do. I get in moods where I really want to care.. but I was raised poor, eating garbage and the same cheap foods each week, and I really think I came out okay despite it. I'd horrify vegan parents now-a-days telling them about my hot-dog and mayo sandwiches, the school lunches everyday where I'd have the same cheeseburger every single damn day, or how I ate nothing but pickles for 3 days in a row, or how I'd slam through 4-5 slices of that nasty American singles cheese in a day easily
    I used to eat the same kind of crap too when I was younger. Neither I nor my parents knew any better. My biggest regret though is how much soda I consumed as a kid, in hindsight I can see how it affected my development.

meticulously eating around it until it became a fish so that I could pretend to be a cat and eat it.
    Weirdo.

I'm more conscientious now.. I make an effort to garden because it's better for you and it's cheaper.
    Gardening is something I would like to learn how to do. Teach me.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    I used to eat the same kind of crap too when I was younger. Neither I nor my parents knew any better. My biggest regret though is how much soda I consumed as a kid, in hindsight I can see how it affected my development.
    I always hated soda, even as a kid. My big bad habit is salt and breads.

Gardening is something I would like to learn how to do. Teach me.
    To go against most avid gardeners:
    Just buy some cheap potting soil/mulch mix and mix it up with whatever crappy dirt you have. Plant a bunch of shit. See what grows and what doesn't. The stuff that sucked at growing, try again in a pot--if it still sucks at growing, maybe give up on it. The stuff that grows well, just keep feeding it water. I use cedar chips to keep bugs away because it's free and easy to do. I also used to collect leaves in the fall and let them sit in a pile in the corner. About a year later they turn into better mulch. That stuff + ashes from the fire pit = decent soil. When you get sick of your plants, let them grow and die out. Then let it all mulch up for the next year while you plant next to that spot. You can switch back and forth like that.

I never weed. I just pluck out the particularly nasty weeds. The harmless ones that don't grow very high I keep them there, and they help suppress the shitty thorny weeds from coming in.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Organic kale, spinach, berries. I don't know if one can buy organic cashews, almonds, and peanuts.

P.S. It's blueberry season and organic blueberries are real cheap right now.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I just buy food from local producers as much as I can, not because it is "organic" (a very misleading term as all food is by definition organic) but because it is fresher and doesn't have to be caked with preservatives. It goes without saying that pumping food full of inorganic chemicals and hormones isn't good for your health, and I feel sorry for Americans in this respect.

GM technology could reduce the need for a lot of the above while mitigating the health risks. I don't see a problem with the technology. The problem is that it will become patented and monopolies will form.
    Last edited by Kullervo; 07-16-2014 at 03:37 AM.