User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

When I was a kid my mom tried to feed me healthy non-processed food, I wouldn't eat and she finally had to give in and buy junk just so I would eat. Now I prefer the non-processed stuff. I would not eat wheat bread and other things.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Mostly I just buy what is cheapest. If it is something I peel, I don't even think about organic. If it is something like strawberries or lettuce, I tend to buy non-organic, but if the organic is on sale for only slightly more expensive, I might buy the organic.

I think it's better to eat more non-organic vegetables than fewer organic vegetables.

But I honestly havent' researched it a ton.

GMO/non-GMO doesn't really seem like a big deal to me, but maybe it should? Again, I haven't looked into it that thoroughly.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think you can google up on ones that contain most to least pesiticides and spend money wisely on that? Or grow your own? Something like cucumbers would be great (they contain high amounts of pesticides- non organic).

I personally try to buy all organic as much as I can. Some things like frozen pineapple is hard to find organic and very expensive!

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    I think you can google up on ones that contain most to least pesiticides and spend money wisely on that? Or grow your own? Something like cucumbers would be great (they contain high amounts of pesticides- non organic).

I personally try to buy all organic as much as I can. Some things like frozen pineapple is hard to find organic and very expensive!
    This is the EWG’s 2014 list of dirtiest to cleanest conventional produce:

Lower numbers = more pesticides

1. Apples
    2. Strawberries
    3. Grapes
    4. Celery
    5. Spinach
    6. Peaches
    7. Sweet bell peppers
    8. Nectarines – imported
    9. Cucumbers
    10. Cherry tomatoes
    11. Snap peas – imported
    12. Potatoes
    13. Hot peppers
    14. Blueberries – domestic
    15. Lettuce
    16. Kale / collard greens
    17. Plums
    18. Cherries
    19. Nectarines – domestic
    20. Pears
    21. Tangerines
    22. Carrots
    23. Blueberries – imported
    24. Green beans
    25. Winter squash
    26. Summer squash
    27. Raspberries
    28. Broccoli
    29. Snap peas – domestic
    30. Green onions
    31. Oranges
    32. Bananas
    33. Tomatoes
    34. Watermelon
    35. Honeydew melon
    36. Mushrooms
    37. Sweep potatoes
    38. Cauliflower
    39. Cantaloupe
    40. Grapefruit
    41. Eggplant
    42. kiwi
    43. Papaya
    44. Mangos
    45. Asparagus
    46. Onions
    47. Sweep peas – frozen
    48. Cabbage
    49. Pineapples
    50. Sweet corn
    51. Avocados

EWG's 2014 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™

The average potato had more pesticides by weight than any other food.
    A single grape sample contained 15 pesticides. Single samples of celery, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and strawberries showed 13 different pesticides apiece.
    Three other things they mentioned were about kale, collard greens, and hot peppers.

Two American food crops - leafy greens and hot peppers - are of special concern for public health because residue tests conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture have found these foods laced with particularly toxic pesticides. Among the chemicals at issue are organophosphate and carbamate insecticides no longer detected widely on other produce, either because of binding legal restrictions or voluntary phase-outs.
    They recommended that people who frequently eat those three things to buy organic varieties, and if they can’t afford organic, to cook them in order to diminish the pesticide levels.

@gromit conventionally grown strawberries are one of the worst things when it comes to pesticide exposure. They’re often one of the top things mentioned in different articles of “things to only eat if they’re organic.”

12 foods to eat only if they're organic - Canadian Living
    Organic vs. Nonorganic: What Should You Buy? - ABC News

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    GM technology could reduce the need for a lot of the above while mitigating the health risks. I don't see a problem with the technology. The problem is that it will become patented and monopolies will form.
    Isn't that already happening with Monsanto?

There is kind of a culture of "OMG everything you do is horrible for your health!!!" that just starts to get pretty exhausting if you buy into it all.

Yeah it would prob be better to eat organic strawb and stuff. But organic is just more expensive (sometimes even 2x more expensive)'and I don't know if I can justify that at this point, on a student budget.

I am hoping once I'm a little more settled with life to start cranking out lettuce and other greens in a small side yard garden bed. My parents do that and have almost more than they can eat.

I actually have been growing some kale and chard, and they're doing ok, but still pretty small. Don't know if I'll get to eat any of it before I leave for my internship in MT. The soil isn't great here, very clay-y, so it would be expensive to improve the soil quality quickly just for one, maybe 2, years of harvest
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

There's two episodes about organic food and anti-GM food on Penn & Teller: Bullshit!, unfortunately it seems like the episodes aren't on YouTube anymore. But basically what they said is that organic food is overpriced bullshit and that anti-GM food people are selfish first world hippie fucks. Other than that I don't know much about it, but I do think it's overhyped. I'd bet it's the typical hipster health hysteria, the kind of people who think gluten is bad even though they aren't allergic etc. If organic food is so good then why isn't all food organic? Surely we would have made the change quickly. Like anything else, the organic food industry is about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Of course they'll hype it and have ridiculous prices!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    There is kind of a culture of "OMG everything you do is horrible for your health!!!" that just starts to get pretty exhausting if you buy into it all.
    This. Certain aspects of GMO foods are an issue for ethical reasons, but there's no sound science proving it's harmful to human health. There's not just one thing that makes up what "genetically modified" means, anyway. It's the latest boogieman in the food industry.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This. Certain aspects of GMO foods are an issue for ethical reasons, but there's no sound science proving it's harmful to human health. There's not just one thing that makes up what "genetically modified" means, anyway. It's the latest boogieman in the food industry.
    Right. Fortunately I grow a good amount of what we eat and I buy directly from local farms much of the year. I do buy organic for some things but I don't go overboard. The milk/butter/cream/eggs we use are exclusively from a farm and it's organic. It's great that it's organic but the main reason I get it is that the dairy is so fucking good I can't go back to store bought. Even better than the Euro butter I used before.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's us too. I buy from a local produce delivery service, including all our meat and dairy, because I believe in buying local when possible and because it tastes damn good.