• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to remove henna smell?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So I've been applying a light red-gloss henna to my hair for almost two years now? When I stopped using silicone in my conditioners, I started having a problem with the way the henna smells. (Don't say you like the way it smells, I don't care.. I don't like it and it reminds me of wet dog.) I smell it, in my scalp, whenever it is wet. It fades away when dry. So when I work out I smell it, and when I shower I smell it. It'll eventually fade away after a couple weeks (i.e. when my hair starts to grow out of my scalp and get replaced) but I usually just avoid washing my hair altogether as a result.

This time I only did my roots (to avoid the smell being overpowering), washed it completely out (usually when I shower again I have some greenish/brownish still washing out.. this time nope!) on the first try, and no amount of shampoo (as much as I can stand without drying my scalp out), or even my lovely and awesomely strong smelling conditioner that'll last in my hair as long as I don't wash it will get rid of this smell. I used an ACV rinse and let it settle for about 5-7 minutes before rinsing it out, and still I can smell it. Tomorrow I'm going to try putting my conditioner on it while it's dry and see if it'll absorb it that way.

Some forums are saying ginger root powder will stave off some of the smell when applying the henna, but that doesn't really help me for now or in the future really.

Any ideas? (serious only plz.. no pictures of cats playing pianos.)

á´…eparted

passages
I can't honestly think of anything that could remove it that wouldn't damage your hair or skin. I also do not know what is in henna that could cause such an odor. You're likely going to need to stop using it for the time being and possibly find an alternative.

The best way to get rid of a stinky smell is to oxidize it. Some 3% hydrogen peroxide might work, but you'll run the risk of bleaching your hair.

W

WhoCares

You could try clear rather than colored Henna, they are different plants (senna versus lawsonia) and from memory I dont think clear smells as bad. Or you could put either patchouli or vetiver essential oils into your Henna mix to mask the scent. Depends on how you feel about those scents I suppose. But those are the two that I can think of which are both relatively inexpensive and will work with the natural scent of Henna. I'm guessing though if Henna's earthy scent offends you those two essential oils may not be on your faves list either.

I've also made a leather accord from these essential oils (if you're into that kind of thing)

Vetiver
Atlas cedarwood
Rosemary
Jasmine Sambac
Bergamot
Mandarin

Heavy on the citrus and vetiver, just a tiny drop of Jasmine, wait a week and voila leather! Leather actually gets its scent (originally) from these essential oils which were used to mask the smell of urine and brains which actually tans the hide.

Pinker85

You could try clear rather than colored Henna, they are different plants (senna versus lawsonia) and from memory I dont think clear smells as bad. Or you could put either patchouli or vetiver essential oils into your Henna mix to mask the scent. Depends on how you feel about those scents I suppose. But those are the two that I can think of which are both relatively inexpensive and will work with the natural scent of Henna. I'm guessing though if Henna's earthy scent offends you those two essential oils may not be on your faves list either.

I've also made a leather accord from these essential oils (if you're into that kind of thing)

Vetiver
Atlas cedarwood
Rosemary
Jasmine Sambac
Bergamot
Mandarin

Heavy on the citrus and vetiver, just a tiny drop of Jasmine, wait a week and voila leather! Leather actually gets its scent (originally) from these essential oils which were used to mask the smell of urine and brains which actually tans the hide.

This sounds like it'd smell amazing. I especially love anything with mandarin. Just spent 10 minutes googling perfumery terms since I had no idea what an 'accord' was. Interesting tidbit about leather getting its smell from these essential oils.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Revisiting this--I put some henna on my roots. I added about a teaspoon of vanilla extract + 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder in with 3 square bricks of Lush henna. It still smelled powerfully of henna when I was applying it on my head. My current attack strategy is to rinse before I wash with apple cider vinegar and give it a minute, then wash as normal, then do a diluted final-rinse of vanilla extract + water in my roots.. In the morning I'll wet some of my scalp and see if I smell it.. If that doesn't work, I have some ripe bananas, and my next attack strategy is to mash up some bananas + vanilla extract + honey (for thickness) + ginger powder and leave it on my scalp for about an hour.. then rinse it out, wash lightly, and leave on some ginger powder + conditioner then rinse it out and see how it does then. If THAT doesn't help.. I'm lost. Stupid henna smelling like garbage.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You are one of those people that do things for a purpose not just to look pretty (at least not the only reason) is there a reason henna is good for your hair? what is the benefits? If it's because to dye your hair, why that vs conventional dye? or does it do a conditioning thing to it? I honestly don't know how to get henna smell out of hair. I have no plan to put henna in my hair I don't have a desire for it to be a different color and my hair is already baby soft, I'm just merely curious. Hopefully someone knows good luck.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You are one of those people that do things for a purpose not just to look pretty (at least not the only reason) is there a reason henna is good for your hair? what is the benefits? If it's because to dye your hair, why that vs conventional dye? or does it do a conditioning thing to it? I honestly don't know how to get henna smell out of hair. I have no plan to put henna in my hair I don't have a desire for it to be a different color and my hair is already baby soft, I'm just merely curious. Hopefully someone knows good luck.

:laugh: Definitely my primary focus with henna is how it looks--it brings out the red in my hair that's fading with sun damage + age that's inevitable from me NOT taking care of myself. It's way easier to stick in some henna 2-3x a year than it is for me to wear hats, cover up constantly, etc. etc.

But it DOES do a great deal of good for my scalp. My skin has all the issues of being Scandinavian-raped-Irish-decent without any of the benefits (unless you consider not being able to tan properly outside of a slight farmer's tan a benefit). The henna when it is sitting on my scalp conditions it REALLY deeply, thanks to the moisturizing agents and oils in Lush's henna bricks, and it produces a (mostly) predictable color to boot. For those first couple weeks afterwards my scalp feels NORMAL.. no itching, irritation, scratching, etc. Well worth it smelling weird when I wash it and/or sweat for a while.

I've never dyed my hair before outside of the color tinting henna does.. but my mother and sisters both dye their hair--and they all just look.. meh. Floppy, gross, breaking off... I grow my hair out and donate it, I need it to be as healthy as possible for those wigs. Henna doesn't change the color of my hair--which I like (if you put blond color into black hair with dye, you'll turn your hair blond. It's not possible with henna--there is no blond to draw out)--but it brings it back to life, conditions my scalp so that my scalp can rest for a change, and helps keep my hair growing at a healthy rate.

I admit, I'm a soap-on-a-rope person. I love the idea of just having like.. 2 things that fixes everything. 2 minutes to put on make up. 2 minutes to get dressed. But the reality is my stupid girly body doesn't work that way.. so I try to find the most efficient things possible. My hair looks great doing this stupid all-natural bullshit, and I can't deny results.. so instead of the shampoo-conditioner-itch-like-crazy route I've finally had weeks spans where my scalp isn't flaked out like crazy and dry as shit.

And to bring a girly element into this.. If you have great looking stuff to start with--you just end up looking really good when you slap some different clothes on. A few touches of the only make up pieces I know how to apply + a dress + braiding my hair to 'curl' it the night before? I can dress up pretty snazzy on the fly if my hair's pretty awesome all the time already.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: Definitely my primary focus with henna is how it looks--it brings out the red in my hair that's fading with sun damage + age that's inevitable from me NOT taking care of myself. It's way easier to stick in some henna 2-3x a year than it is for me to wear hats, cover up constantly, etc. etc.

But it DOES do a great deal of good for my scalp. My skin has all the issues of being Scandinavian-raped-Irish-decent without any of the benefits (unless you consider not being able to tan properly outside of a slight farmer's tan a benefit). The henna when it is sitting on my scalp conditions it REALLY deeply, thanks to the moisturizing agents and oils in Lush's henna bricks, and it produces a (mostly) predictable color to boot. For those first couple weeks afterwards my scalp feels NORMAL.. no itching, irritation, scratching, etc. Well worth it smelling weird when I wash it and/or sweat for a while.

I've never dyed my hair before outside of the color tinting henna does.. but my mother and sisters both dye their hair--and they all just look.. meh. Floppy, gross, breaking off... I grow my hair out and donate it, I need it to be as healthy as possible for those wigs. Henna doesn't change the color of my hair--which I like (if you put blond color into black hair with dye, you'll turn your hair blond. It's not possible with henna--there is no blond to draw out)--but it brings it back to life, conditions my scalp so that my scalp can rest for a change, and helps keep my hair growing at a healthy rate.

I admit, I'm a soap-on-a-rope person. I love the idea of just having like.. 2 things that fixes everything. 2 minutes to put on make up. 2 minutes to get dressed. But the reality is my stupid girly body doesn't work that way.. so I try to find the most efficient things possible. My hair looks great doing this stupid all-natural bullshit, and I can't deny results.. so instead of the shampoo-conditioner-itch-like-crazy route I've finally had weeks spans where my scalp isn't flaked out like crazy and dry as shit.

And to bring a girly element into this.. If you have great looking stuff to start with--you just end up looking really good when you slap some different clothes on. A few touches of the only make up pieces I know how to apply + a dress + braiding my hair to 'curl' it the night before? I can dress up pretty snazzy on the fly if my hair's pretty awesome all the time already.
if it works for you, keep doing it.