User Tag List

12 Last

WhoCares

Default Making my own mattress

So innersprings are a relatively new concept in bedding. It was only about 60 years ago that the springs moves form the bed base into the mattress itself. What I dont like about innersrings is this....

They are full of fire retardants, by law
    They are expensive and yucky to get rid of, and if you move around a lot like I do you'll be getting rid of a lot of them.
    No real way to clean them
    Difficult to move as they are bulky
    Cost a lot of money

So I went online looking for what we used before innersprings. Turns out in some parts of Europe the traditional mattress (unspring wool and horse hair) are still in use today. Its not uncommon for such mattresses with the proper care to last 50yrs. So it gets a big tick from me in terms of eco friendly, biodegrable and natural. Trouble is where the hell do you buy one? And can I afford it?

Answer, nowhere in my country and no I flipping well can't. So I got it into my head to make one. Small problem was the tonnes of wool I would need for stuffing it. Here, any kind of wool is expensive and as you can imagine a double sized mattress stuffed entirely or mostly with wool will cost a fortune. But I've git the luck of the irish in my veins and as it turns out, one week later, I got for free from a crazy scotsman 12 full alpaca fleeces. Absolutely free, all I had to do was hire a car, take a country drive and collect them. I thought a dozen fleeces might be enough for a 2" pillow top. But this guy has the biggest alpacas ever because I got enough to probably make a 6" single mattress or a 4" pillow top for a double. I can't get horsehair easily so I'm substituting coconut fibre for that. Besides the idea of sleeping on horsetails from poor creatures gone to an abattoir kind of creeps me out.

Now, the fleeces are raw which means they've got bits of chaff, yicky fleece and dags still attached. I dont know how many years it will take me to process this fleece into carded fibre but for free I'm willing to chance it. The fleece is really lovely actually. So soft with great loft. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity as I will be the only one with an alpaca mattress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've read of straw or heather being used, too.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

An alpaca mattress? This really does sound wonderful, it's so soft. The only thing I can think that would make it better would be to top it with Qiviut .
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've read of straw or heather being used, too.
    Yeah I heard of straw too and that was my initial thought, at least temporarily as I heard you need to change the straw very 6 months or so. What squashed it for me is that its really hard to buy strawbales where I am. Coconut fibre though I can mail order from an upholstery supplier so much easier to get hold of. plus its got a bit more longevity to it. Should get 3-5yrs out of it.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    An alpaca mattress? This really does sound wonderful, it's so soft. The only thing I can think that would make it better would be to top it with Qiviut .
    MuskOx sounds great, I had entertained goose down as well, but I think I'm getting a bit princess and the pea with it. To be honest if the alapaca wasn't gifted I'd settling for good old sheeps wool. Wish I had access to all the exotic stuff but meh....things are a little limiting where I am. As it is, I'e still got a messy job ahead of me processing all that 'musky' alpaca fleece. Its not an unpleasant smell, but then again I'm not burying my face in it either at this stage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Yeah I heard of straw too and that was my initial thought, at least temporarily as I heard you need to change the straw very 6 months or so. What squashed it for me is that its really hard to buy strawbales where I am. Coconut fibre though I can mail order from an upholstery supplier so much easier to get hold of. plus its got a bit more longevity to it. Should get 3-5yrs out of it.
    Very cool. Straw is abundant where I am but yikes! I think it would be cool to try a wood and rope bed frame sometime.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Are you secretly trying to become Amish?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Do you ever watch those BBC reality-ish shows like Edwardian Farm? I love those.

I also like to watch Jas. Townsend & Son cooking videos.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by calb View Post
    Are you secretly trying to become Amish?
    I was convinced you were the op even though I've already read this thread. Personally I can't be assed to make a mattress I'll just get back cancer it'll be fine. I would sleep on an alpaca mattress though. And I think it's cool @WhoCares that you're doing this
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

so cool! let me know if you ever go into business. i would love an alpaca mattress
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.