failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I was convinced you were the op even though I've already read this thread. Personally I can't be assed to make a mattress I'll just get back cancer it'll be fine. I would sleep on an alpaca mattress though. And I think it's cool @WhoCares that you're doing this
    wtf...

yeah the mattress sounds like a good idea... it was just all the eco friendly, biodegrable and natural, talk that got me thinking... the only difference is the embedded side of religion they have with everything. But then again, the Khoisan people also had their whole existence based on the stars and their spirituality.

/me just noticing stuff

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by calb View Post
    Are you secretly trying to become Amish?
    No. Secretly living without modern conveniences though, or rather modern inconveniences... I've no interest in religion or religion based societies but loads of interest in lost skill sets. There are still artisans making these mattresses in Europe, but I'd love to bring the skill here and benefit from it. Not all modern inventions are actually improvements. We (humanity) got so gung-ho about our own cleverness we forget to plan for the disposal of all this stuff we produce and later throw away. Landfill solutions are very finite. End...eco rant.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Do you ever watch those BBC reality-ish shows like Edwardian Farm? I love those.

I also like to watch Jas. Townsend & Son cooking videos.
    Yep! Any kind of recreation lifestyle show is my cup of tea, or bag of oats! I loved the doco series filthiest cities, that looked at what life was really like in pre-industrial places like London and Paris. It was literally vomititious, but at the same time entirely interesting. We've come a long way in terms of hygiene but then we lost a lot of good skills too with the industrial revolution.

WhoCares

So for those of you wondering what I might be aspiring to. This is the only online guide I can find. Its rather pictorial and gives me enough to go on to make my own. It will either work, or I'll learn something....

http://designandwool.blogspot.com.au...ss-making.html

But this gives you a nice idea of what the finished product should look like. Quite nice isn't it? Of course a traditional mattress just wouldn't be right without that striped ticking. Trouble is, ticking (yes thats the technical term) is a bit of a designer thing now and costs an absolute fortune to buy. Thanks shabby chic....

Luckily Ikea has come to the rescue. This rather gorgeous 100% cotton upholstery fabric comes in the fashionable mattress stripe, is heavy enough with a close weave for the job, and costs a mere $10 a meter, instead of $64m. I'll need about 5.5m for my double bed (210cm x 180cm) mattress. I checked this fabric out in person today, its nice!

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60217916/

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60217916/

Yarn-dyed fabric; the pattern is visible on both sides; looks good from the back, too.

WhoCares

Theres always one in every thread.....

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is very cool. FYI, I sleep on a traditional Japanese futon, it is all wool and organic cotton.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Pics plz!!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    This is very cool. FYI, I sleep on a traditional Japanese futon, it is all wool and organic cotton.
    I had one (not a propper japanese one, one of those naff 'western' versions, 6" thick and weighing a tonne). But sold it when I moved. I liked the fact it was rock hard but hate the fact they cost around $1k to buy here for a base model. Hence the exploration into making my own.