User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I mean, literally, a whole or half cow.

Does anyone here buy their meat in bulk from farmers? If you ever have, would you recommend it? Or was it more of a pain in the ass than buying farmer market meat as needed?
    My mom did this for a long time, buying from a local farm. She said it tasted better and was cheaper in the long run. It'd last like, the whole year.
    You do need a whole separate freezer for it, but yeah, it's worthwhile for the lower cost and convenience if you eat beef. Definitely know what cuts you like and which you don't, though.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Currently we have a freezer, but my father keeps shoving other stuff in there instead of eating it down -_- .. I was thinking about this as a potential option for us in the near future.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Currently we have a freezer, but my father keeps shoving other stuff in there instead of eating it down -_- .. I was thinking about this as a potential option for us in the near future.
    It's a good option. We are considering a pig in the fall. I currently get chickens and meat from a local co-op. This is a great way to do it and support local farming. I order from the website and pick up on whatever day they schedule. I volunteer on pickup days when I can too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It's a good option. We are considering a pig in the fall. I currently get chickens and meat from a local co-op. This is a great way to do it and support local farming. I order from the website and pick up on whatever day they schedule. I volunteer on pickup days when I can too.
    There's a really great co-op here in the Houston area but it's only fruits and vegetables, as the owner is 80/10/10. I just found a small market up the road that sells discount veggies and fruits and beef and eggs, so I think I'm going to ask them about chickens.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I grew up on a farm and we filled our own freezers in addition to my Dad selling sides of beef, pork and lamb to many friends and family. I would suggest striking up a relationship with a local farmer who has a good reputation aligned with any personal values on the life of the animals that you feel is important. A fully pastured beef will be far more lean than you might expect. Some grain in the feed will naturally up the fat content of the meat.

Alternately, you could purchase a steer and have it raised by a farmer of your choosing. Then, once it reaches slaughter weight, make arrangements with the abbatoir yourself. You'll need a large freezer, as ceecee pointed out, and you get to choose the cuts, sizes of roasts, how much to make into ground beef etc.

Since I grew up living like this, it seems pretty natural and it is certainly economical. You do, however, get some variability in taste from each animal. Even if you're not happy, you then still have to find ways of cooking to help it be more palatable to you.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My father had red deer for quite some time and when one of the younger stags turned out to be Testosterone 2000, killed a hind and injured another, he bought a big freezer and had him slaughtered.

Cost wise, that was a lot of cheap grade A meat we had the pleasure of indulging in for quite some time. Plus, red deer meat is soooooo good. Cows don't compare.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Plus, red deer meat is soooooooo good. Cows don't compare.
    Says the wolf