User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Liquor, where to start?

I'm sick and tired of beer.

I've been listening to James Bond audio books and I want to be able to order a wide range of mixed drinks to fit my mood and surroundings.

I need someone to instruct me on the ways of simple mixes.
    wails from the crypt.

Banned

Try Barlenders.

MBTI
    ISTx

Your bartender should be able to help.

I'm not into liquor.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Liquor, where to start?
    Wherever she tells you.

MBTI
    ENTP

If you want something solid, that does the trick, and doesn't taste overwhelmingly like something you pay $100 for at the perfume counter, try a simple gin and tonic. The best gin is probably Bombay Sapphire.

There are always the vodkas... a college staple, nowadays... Stolichnaya's good, but Grey Goose is the best... there are some newfangled vodkas (Skyy) which have hints of lime, orange, strawberry, etc. flavoring, which may suit your taste. Purists would obviously have none of that. Have it with a tonic or orange juice or a variety of other mixes... I like mine in straight shots.

Classic tequila shot, lime and salt. Always an excellent punctuation point during a night of drinking. Jose Cuervo will do. Nothing more need be said.

A light liquor is Bailey's Irish Cream... I enjoy mine 1-part milk, 3-parts B's I.C. It's more of a "I don't bloody care what anyone thinks it tastes like something from bloody Starbucks and I LIKE it and NO I'm not a fucking alcoholic.... where's that bloody bottle? What? It's finished? Already? Damn thing runs out quicker than excuses..."-drink than a real dyed-in-the-wool liquor.

Others... a jack and coke... Jack Daniels, a whiskey, and coca-cola... whiskeys and their cousin bourbons are an acquired taste, though... I doubt a beer drinker would take quickly to them.

With many of these drinks there are many ways to have them... straight or on-the-rocks is always an option, but I recommend starting with mixes first... particularly when it comes to whiskeys, bourbons, cognacs...

This isn't a very original or comprehensive list... but it's a start... and it works for me!

The other option is to just to just look behind the bartender, check out the bottles, don't be shy to ask a couple of questions (bartenders, when not very busy, are usually good talkers and everyone likes to talk about his/her own profession) and ask for a recommendation. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS but make sure you're sober enough to get back home.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Be a man and try whiskey. Add a cigar and you'll smokin'. Hah.

Oberon

Unlike Samuel, I recommend bourbons; just don't start at the bottom. Buy a pint of Wild Turkey or George Dickel and blend it with soda to start. These are smooth enough to drink over ice or straight up if you wish.

Avoid Jack Daniels. Technically not a bourbon but a Tennessee Whiskey, it isn't as smooth as the bourbons I mentioned, and costs more than George Dickel.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    If you want something solid, that does the trick, and doesn't taste overwhelmingly like something you pay $100 for at the perfume counter, try a simple gin and tonic. The best gin is probably Bombay Sapphire.

There are always the vodkas... a college staple, nowadays... Stolichnaya's good, but Grey Goose is the best... there are some newfangled vodkas (Skyy) which have hints of lime, orange, strawberry, etc. flavoring, which may suit your taste. Purists would obviously have none of that. Have it with a tonic or orange juice or a variety of other mixes... I like mine in straight shots.

Classic tequila shot, lime and salt. Always an excellent punctuation point during a night of drinking. Jose Cuervo will do. Nothing more need be said.

A light liquor is Bailey's Irish Cream... I enjoy mine 1-part milk, 3-parts B's I.C. It's more of a "I don't bloody care what anyone thinks it tastes like something from bloody Starbucks and I LIKE it and NO I'm not a fucking alcoholic.... where's that bloody bottle? What? It's finished? Already? Damn thing runs out quicker than excuses..."-drink than a real dyed-in-the-wool liquor.

Others... a jack and coke... Jack Daniels, a whiskey, and coca-cola... whiskeys and their cousin bourbons are an acquired taste, though... I doubt a beer drinker would take quickly to them.

With many of these drinks there are many ways to have them... straight or on-the-rocks is always an option, but I recommend starting with mixes first... particularly when it comes to whiskeys, bourbons, cognacs...

This isn't a very original or comprehensive list... but it's a start... and it works for me!

The other option is to just to just look behind the bartender, check out the bottles, don't be shy to ask a couple of questions (bartenders, when not very busy, are usually good talkers and everyone likes to talk about his/her own profession) and ask for a recommendation. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS but make sure you're sober enough to get back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Unlike Samuel, I recommend bourbons; just don't start at the bottom. Buy a pint of Wild Turkey or George Dickel and blend it with soda to start. These are smooth enough to drink over ice or straight up if you wish.

Avoid Jack Daniels. Technically not a bourbon but a Tennessee Whiskey, it isn't as smooth as the bourbons I mentioned, and costs more than George Dickel.
    That's all good and I second Oberon's addition of bourbon. The only thing I'd add is don't waste expensive gin on G&Ts. There's no need, you won't taste the difference through the tonic and lime.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's all good and I second Oberon's addition of bourbon. The only thing I'd add is don't waste expensive gin on G&Ts. There's no need, you won't taste the difference through the tonic and lime.
    Depends on how much tonic you put in... I usually ask the bartender to "give me a gin with a splash of tonic"... takes the edge off for me... but then again, I'm not a connoisseur.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

<------ Blanton's bourbon, neat. Makes Wild Turkey and Jim Beam look like turpentine. High alcohol content, too.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"