• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Liquor, where to start?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's nothing to write home about. It just seemed like a really strong drink to me (which is what it is). And as far as I know it's not illegal to purchase for personal consumption anywhere in the U.S.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, pretty sure it was recently legalized throughout the whole U.S.

Don't really care though, liquor FTL.

gopher

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm sick and tired of beer.

I've been listening to James Bond audio books and I want to be able to order a wide range of mixed drinks to fit my mood and surroundings.

I need someone to instruct me on the ways of simple mixes.

Even with simple mixes, get your wallet out...

My wife and I have gotten into Liqour over the last couple years, but have really started branching out lately. Oh, and find a good lime supply...

The best ones recently, given the heat of summer and all, are mojito (rum, lime juice, simple syrup, mint leaves, and soda water - play with it until it tastes good to you) and gin and tonic (gin, tonic, lime wedge - again to taste). They just have a simple freshness to them and you can tweek them to your specific taste/tolerance for alcohol. Rum is great, but you usually have to get some sort of juice and other liqour for mixing, or just go with the rum and coke. There is so much out there, you just have to start making that investment into the stuff that you add to the liqour, like grenadine, Rose's lime juice, Bitters, sweet and sour, various juices (check out pomagranite in place of cranberry...). Oh, and Triple Sec goes with a lot of stuff. We don't do tequila too often, again mixed with other stuff. There are also a lot of options for soda water to help change the flavor. It isn't really flavored, but it has the essence of lime or lemon or orange. Very good...

Then, there are so many different types of each liqour. We have had Gin Night with a few different types to find the one we like. We have also had Rum Night and Tequila Night. We tried Vodka Night, but I couldn't tell a difference.

Tuaca in the hot tub on a brisk night, even in the snow, is great.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a bottle of regular wormwood absinthe as a souvenir from my time in Canada, but I don't know if I'll ever open it. It's better as a conversation piece, and I hate the taste of licorice/anise.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
The Rogue Brewery concocts Spirits!

Spruce Gin (World's First Spruce Gin) - I had this one the rocks. And I've never really appreciated Gin just on the rocks. This Gin on the rocks well rocks. You get the flavour of Spruce with that distinctive Gin taste coupled with a smooth yet deceivingly alcoholic beverage. One of the best Gins I've had in my life.

Hazelnut Rum - When it first enters your mouth, you feel 'half' of the hazelnut flavour but once you swallow, you get the other 'half' of a smooth yet deceivingly alcoholic beverage like the Gin. The best Rum I've had in my life.

Their 'smoothness' by no means detracts from their richness - it just makes more damn drinkable.

Dark/White Rum - Pending examination.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just found out that they legalized absinthe in chicago. I want to try some, but I kinda want to get a group together to do that, plus it's expensive. Not too mention I know very very little about absinthe, so I would prefer to try it with someone who knows what to get and how to mix it.

First off, there are no hallucinogens in absinthe. The wormwood thats in them was mistaken for having hallucinogenic effects when really in Van Gogh's time period when absinthe was at its peak, the chemicals they used to preserve the alcohol were contaminated and/or had some nasty effects.
Absinthe is only a badass alcohol because the herbal combinations in it give it both stimulant and dissociative properties while being incredibly alcoholic.

Place a fork over your cup. put 2 sugar cubes in the fork. pour absinthe slowly over the cubes into the drink.

Be warned, its gonna taste like minty licorice evil voodoo, but the side-effects of it are fun as hell.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Drank a Vanilla Porter brewed at a local brewery/restaurant here recently. It was pretty damn tasty I must say.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'll share my personal favorites, as I too am not a fan of beer.

When I wanna get hammered with almost no hangover: Caribou Lou: Pineapple juice, Rum 151, and Malibu Coconut rum. Fucks you up quick, and it tastes awesome.. and since I get drunk really fast, there isn't enough alcohol to give me massive hangovers.

When I'm Chillin at the house with a buddy: The REAL southern Comfort: Rum and sweet tea. Real refreshing and cool with a kick.

When I'm chilling with my friends: Malibu Kamikaze: Triple sec, Sweet and sour, and Malibu rum. (Can you tell I like rum?) Real light drink, without being too francy and fussy and tastes a bit sweet so you don't drink it too quick lest you'd want to.

When I'm out at a restaurant and going to spend a lot on a drink anyways: Grass-skirts. (They're called all sorts of things, but they kind of taste like melon flavored margaritas with rum instead of tequila... I forget what's in em.)

When I'm bringing to the party: Strawberry Jello Shots. 10 oz Banana rum with a regular recipe of strawberry jello makes for a good night and tastes awesome.

Occasionally I do enjoy the Jack and Coke or Rum and coke, margaritas or shots, but those are my favorites.

Kanamori

To drink whiskey mixed with ice, or soda is to blaspheme your God... you'll regret it, just don't do it. Seriously, it makes buying anything expensive pointless. Talisker, Johnnie Walker, Glenmorangie, and Laphroaig are my favorites. IIRC, Talisker and Glenlivet are probably the best beginners if you're not sure you'd like whiskey... you can also get packs of small samples online.

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like all kinds of alcohol...when I'm drinking mixed drinks, it's usually G&T or gin & juice...or whisky. But lately I've just been drinking beer and wine. :p