User Tag List

12 Last

Default Anyone into wilderness survival/bushcraft?

This guy is fairly new, but he knows his stuff and posts much of it for free online. I learn at least several new things from each of his videos. Here's a good one on how to light a fire in the winter.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Not so much survival, but I love to hike, kayak, and forage! I've wanted to actually go backpacking for sometime but never can convince enough friends to make a trip of it. :/
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Not so much survival, but I love to hike, kayak, and forage! I've wanted to actually go backpacking for sometime but never can convince enough friends to make a trip of it. :/
    Experiencing nature is what it's all about! I enjoy all of those. Foraging especially is a big (and advanced) part of bushcraft. I've been foraging for many years, but I just tried ramps this past year. They're great! I had also hoped to sample morels for the first time, but no luck with that.

And then there was the time when I was a teen and decided to try cattail root. I figured out later that what I'd actually eaten was a wild leek. At least it wasn't poisonous. What do you typically forage for?

I would love to learn foraging from someone who actually knows what s/he is doing...!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I would love to learn foraging from someone who actually knows what s/he is doing...!
    No doubt. There are plenty of poisonous plants which look like edible plants.

Wild carrot looks similar to the toxic hemlock. The scariest one is probably the appropriately named and highly toxic death camas, which looks like wild onion. It even has a bulb on the root and sometimes grows alongside wild onion! The main difference is that it doesn't have an onion smell. When I eat wild onion, I have to be careful that I'm smelling the actual plant and not just onion on my hands.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Experiencing nature is what it's all about! I enjoy all of those. Foraging especially is a big (and advanced) part of bushcraft. I've been foraging for many years, but I just tried ramps this past year. They're great! I had also hoped to sample morels for the first time, but no luck with that.

And then there was the time when I was a teen and decided to try cattail root. I figured out later that what I'd actually eaten was a wild leek. At least it wasn't poisonous. What do you typically forage for?
    I gained interest because my brother is in the culinary industry and works for a restaurant group that's basically "farm to table", but they also purchase produce from foragers! My brother was fascinated and would talk to the people who came in, started doing research and eventually foraging himself. I don't have nearly as much experience as he has but I've had ramps and wild onion, and we've found some mushrooms out in Colorado (I think chantrelles?).

Is bushcraft like backpacking?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If you desire backpacking, I'd say it'd be much easier to go into a social circle that already does this.. Meet-up websites and such would be useful. or you can start out just going to National parks and backpacking around them on your own--try to make friends along the way.

Bushcraft is one of those things that I think are invaluable. I'm not sure why I never take the time to learn it all, but it's really useful whether you're actually out in nature or not.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I gained interest because my brother is in the culinary industry and works for a restaurant group that's basically "farm to table", but they also purchase produce from foragers! My brother was fascinated and would talk to the people who came in, started doing research and eventually foraging himself. I don't have nearly as much experience as he has but I've had ramps and wild onion, and we've found some mushrooms out in Colorado (I think chantrelles?).
    That's interesting! I like the farm to table approach and using food from foraging.

Is bushcraft like backpacking?
    Yes. Really there's significant overlap, and the only distinction is mostly in the the goals of why people go out in the woods/mountains.

Backpacking is more focused on the journey itself, while bushcraft is focused on the knowledge and skills it takes to live outside--the same ones which would allow one to live outside for an indefinite time. People more focused on backpacking might try to cover a specific trail or number of miles, while people focused more on bushcraft tend to leave plenty of time for around camp tasks like starting a campfire with sparks or friction, cooking over it, maybe building a natural shelter or just a fire reflecting wall of logs. Bushcraft is more focused on knowledge and skills, while backpacking is more focused on miles, trails, and gear. A backpacker is more likely to cook dinner on a portable stove, while a bushcrafter is more likely to cook over the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    If you desire backpacking, I'd say it'd be much easier to go into a social circle that already does this.. Meet-up websites and such would be useful. or you can start out just going to National parks and backpacking around them on your own--try to make friends along the way.

Bushcraft is one of those things that I think are invaluable. I'm not sure why I never take the time to learn it all, but it's really useful whether you're actually out in nature or not.
    Meetup groups are great for backpacking. I do at least a few trips with meetup groups every year, and I organize a few trips also. True, bushcraft skills are great to know. They allow me to carry less, and to not worry about forgetting something or a gear failure. My sleeping bag getting soaked or lost down river just means that I'll be building a shelter instead of sleeping in my tent rather than trying to bail out and get back to the trailhead.

Mors Kochanski and Ray Mears are probably the most knowledgeable and respected bushcraft instructors alive today. I'm always amazed with the amount I learn when I read or watch them. There are many videos of them on youtube.

This video is old and low quality, yet still timeless...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I learn at least several new things from each of his videos.
    Me too.