MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default To Small Dog Haters

Why do you hate the small dog breeds?

I never knew anybody could be choosy over dog sizes until I was an adult. My first experience of this was with a postman, probably an ISTP. We brought our cockapoo over to his house (he was a relative), the dog jumped up on his lap, and he immediately pushed it off with an expression of disgust. Then he smiled politely and explained himself saying that, as a postman, he hates yappy little dogs.

But it wasn't a yappy dog, this cockapoo was relatively quiet compared to yappy dogs.

In another case, an ISTJ veterinarian took my $250 lahsa-poo puppy, choked it up against the side of his pickup and growled in its face.

He stated that this was a technique he learned from Cesar Millan, and that it was designed to teach the puppy who is boss.

At first I thought, ok, he's an eduated veterinarian thinking he was doing a good deed, although the puppy was scared of me (for some reason) for the next two days. Furthermore, this puppy didn't have any discipline problems whatsoever. The lhasa-poo breed is totally amazing in its intelligence, polity, and laid-back yet playful nature.

Since I worked with this veterinarian a few hours a week, I slowly learned that he believe his cattle dog was superior to my non-working breed, and all my efforts to convince him that dogs are just different, intended to meet different needs for humans, were met with little more than contemptuous smirks.

Why be such a Nazi over dog breeds?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Sometimes, because small dogs are, well, small, the owners of small dogs neglect to teach the dogs manners. Usually people don't do that with larger dogs because they'd be impossible to live with and/or get you sued. People associate the bad behavior with the size of the dog and become prejudiced against small dogs.

Or that is why I disliked small dogs for a long time. I have a min. schnauzer now and tried to make sure he had decent manners. I succeeded in making him pretty well-mannered with people, but he's kind of an asshole to other dogs. He has no idea he's only twenty pounds and 'real' dogs can eat him.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Sometimes, because small dogs are, well, small, the owners of small dogs neglect to teach the dogs manners. Usually people don't do that with larger dogs because they'd be impossible to live with and/or get you sued. People associate the bad behavior with the size of the dog and become prejudiced against small dogs.

Or that is why I disliked small dogs for a long time. I have a min. schnauzer now and tried to make sure he had decent manners. I succeeded in making him pretty well-mannered with people, but he's kind of an asshole to other dogs. He has no idea he's only twenty pounds and 'real' dogs can eat him.
    Thank you for answering. I'm still a little traumatized over what he did to my puppy, because he's a veterinarian, and I'd just love to punch Cesar Millan right in the schnauzer!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Thank you for answering. I'm still a little traumatized over what he did to my puppy, because he's a veterinarian, and I'd just love to punch Cesar Millan right in the schnauzer!
    He was a dick to do that. When you're in a job like that you have a responsibility to try to check your prejudices at the door. There isn't any reason to go hardcore on a dog who isn't behaving badly, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    He was a dick to do that. When you're in a job like that you have a responsibility to try to check your prejudices at the door. There isn't any reason to go hardcore on a dog who isn't behaving badly, IMO.
    I think he was using this Millan technique (which is real) as an excuse to do what he did because he hates my dog.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think he was using this Millan technique (which is real) as an excuse to do what he did because he hates my dog.
    I do too.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

My first experience of this was with a postman, probably an ISTP. We brought our cockapoo over to his house (he was a relative), the dog jumped up on his lap, and he immediately pushed it off with an expression of disgust. Then he smiled politely and explained himself saying that, as a postman, he hates yappy little dogs.
    Did you ask before you brought the dog over or did you just bring it? I would likely push a dog of any kind off my lap too. Dogs can be trained to not jump on people, why would you not do that?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Did you ask before you brought the dog over or did you just bring it? I would likely push a dog of any kind off my lap too. Dogs can be trained to not jump on people, why would you not do that?
    I said "we brought" although it wasn't my dog and I was just along for the ride.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

And anyway, it wasn't exactly like this:

So the question is, why would you push a small dog off your lap? I say "pushed" but it really went flying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

So the question is, why would you push a small dog off your lap? I say "pushed" but it really went flying.
    I don't want a dog on my lap. I don't want a dog in my house. I don't have a dog and I don't want a dog and I don't agree with people who treat dogs like they are a human child and go with them everywhere and expect everyone else to conform to their way of thinking. I don't hate dogs at all, and wouldn't treat a dog (or any animal) badly but I don't want a dog in my space, including other peoples dogs.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.