User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTp

Small dogs usually have some degree of terrier in them, so that makes them kind of yappy and obnoxious by nature. People tend to neglect their training because they are small and usually can't do much harm, even if they are ill mannered. Still, it's almost impossible to get a terrier to be quiet. It's instinctive for them to raise a ruckus when strangers (or critters) are running amuck - in other words, anywhere nearby. Difficult to get them to suppress this behavior. OTOH, it is NOT hard to train a small dog not to growl or snap at people. That's just bad ownership. As well, these dogs need to be indoors when not supervised. Since they're small it should be easy to do. Failure to do so = bad ownership again.

Working breeds are bred to listen to you, so training them is as easy as falling off a rock. Terrier breeds, not so much. Anyways, I like small (but not so small as to be toy) dogs. It would be nice to have a mini-lab type of breed though. So 20-25 lbs of sweet mellow obedience. No such thing that I know of. Corgis and Shelties are pretty well mannered small dogs though.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's your doggie? omg it's cute! lhassa-poo??? i think i want.
    No, ours was oranger as a puppy. Same look though.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    No, ours was oranger as a puppy. Same look though.
    i wanna see pics!! i'm sorry that guy was such an ass. i probably would've freaked out a bit.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Back to dog psychology. I have a particular hatred of people who buy working breeds them give them the task of being a lawn ornament. When that doesn't work out it's the dog that ends up on the end of the green dream for failing to completely change its nature according to human whim. Breeds I am thinking of right now that end up as backyard lawn ornaments and are often dumped for 'bad behaviour'...

Huskies
    Samoyeds
    Australian cattle dogs
    Border collies
    Jack Russels

I'm sure there are others as well. But I always think its the person that should get the lethal injection for failing to grow a neuron and realise a dog bred for work needs work or it will go insane and act out.
    I remember reading a while ago on an Aussie rescue page, #1 rule to getting an Aussie? Don't get an Aussie!

My Aussie was so different from the greyhound we had until she seemed like a different species. She was a busy, active and often trouble-making pup from day one. I finally spent an insane amount of money to take classes from an ex-canine cop to train us, not her. It was really worth it. I love my dog but they do require a bit of work in order not to be a menace...some more than others.

I read this on small dogs last week:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...gical-problems

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i wanna see pics!! i'm sorry that guy was such an ass. i probably would've freaked out a bit.
    I'll see if any pics still survive.

I've emailed the guy about his belief in that method, whatever it's called, and he's standing by it. But when I asked him if he's actually resorted to it, I got no answer back.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Be kind to fluffy things, people.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I'll see if any pics still survive.

I've emailed the guy about his belief in that method, whatever it's called, and he's standing by it. But when I asked him if he's actually resorted to it, I got no answer back.
    it's incredibly repulsive to me and i'm pretty sure i would've had to tell him that. just yuck. sweet lil fluffy baby dog.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Chihuahua's are never ok.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

My Aussie was so different from the greyhound we had until she seemed like a different species. She was a busy, active and often trouble-making pup from day one. I finally spent an insane amount of money to take classes from an ex-canine cop to train us, not her. It was really worth it. I love my dog but they do require a bit of work in order not to be a menace...some more than others.
    I lolled here. You could not get two polar opposite dogs if you tried. The docile (and frequently not energetic) greyhound and the hyperstimulated cattle dog. I get the charm of the cattle dogs, they are really intelligent and look classically 'mans dog' but they need regular work to do. When left in a yard they get aggressive and territorial because they have nothing to focus on. Its a dog that really wants a job to feel right.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Chihuahua's are never ok.
    I would never have one.

We had a Newfie about 10 years ago. This is probably why I got turned off of having a dog, they, Newfies are physically such high maintenance. They MUST have a job. Must. They get so down and sad, it's hard to watch. This is one reason we live on a lake. Summer, winter, it didn't matter. He was near that water even if the lake was frozen. He pulled the kids on their sleds, went out when they were skating or playing hockey. Summer, he was in his glory. My oldest got stuck out on a jet ski when it stalled in the middle of the lake one day. Jack was on it before I could even get the boat started and he towed him and the jet ski right back to shore. I don't think all dogs should have human names but Jack was definitely a Jack.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.