• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking, do you do it?

Do you cook?

• Yes! I love it.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Yes, begrudgingly.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Not if I can help it.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, I am a robot who does not require sustenance.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, do ya?

I've always loved cooking. When I was tiny I used to pull a chair up to the counter and beg my mom to let me help crack eggs or stir things. I loved being able to say that I helped. Once, I "helped" so much that my mom forgot to put the sugar in lemon bars. :doh: :D
I find cooking to be extremely rewarding, and enjoyable. I love to cook and bake for my friends, I find it very rewarding.

But seriously, if you do cook, do you enjoy it? Or do you just do it because you have to eat? What is your favorite thing to make?

If you don't cook, why don't you? Is it just lack of know how, or do you just hate it? Or both?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I cook when I have to, despite knowing perfectly well how likely I am to burn things in the kitchen...
Would love to improve, though - there are certain recipes from my own culture that I want to try making on my own.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I cook sometimes. I'm pretty decent at it, but I do it for the final product, not for love of the process. If I had someone else to cook stuff I liked for me, I probably wouldn't do it very often at all. Unless I had someone to clean the kitchen up after me. Then it might be more fun.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I cook when I have to, despite knowing perfectly well how likely I am to burn things in the kitchen...
Would love to improve, though - there are certain recipes from my own culture that I want to try making on my own.

What culture is that? :)

I cook sometimes. I'm pretty decent at it, but I do it for the final product, not for love of the process. If I had someone else to cook stuff I liked for me, I probably wouldn't do it very often at all. Unless I had someone to clean the kitchen up after me. Then it might be more fun.

Seriously though. I'm always so envious when I watch cooking shows and they just get to throw the dirty dishes in the sink and move on. My current apartment doesn't have a dishwasher. :(

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What culture is that? :)

Indian/Kashmiri :)

There's one particular sweetbread called "Roth" that my mom makes at least once a year, for our Punn pooja (where we pray for prosperity within our home). She has promised me and my sister that she will pass down the secret recipe to both of us when we're ready - according to tradition, the head woman in the household is responsible for preparing everything necessary and for leading the pooja. I want to at least keep that tradition alive.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
No.

...but I hate doing a lot of things or at least I don't care to do a lot of things.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't vote, since there's no mid-option.

Yeah, I cook. I wouldn't say it's something I'm particularly passionate about, but it's gotta be done.
I have the free time to do so, & it tends to be cheaper/healthier. Also, I prefer knowing/having control over what's in my food.

I don't think I do it begrudgingly. I feel neutral about it, as it's a necessity. And I make necessities enjoyable- when I can- through exploration & experimentation. If something comes out well, I'm pleased, but it's not a fulfilling activity in of itself to me. When it comes to rote tasks, my body's mostly on auto-pilot, while my brain's elsewhere.

That's about all, I guess. /shrug

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
first i figure what i'm going to make (it helps if I plan in advance, like me and my mom sit down and figure out what were having for dinner each night, I'd get overwhelmed if I had to figure it out on the spot)
then I check to see if i have everything
then i preheat the oven if need be or begin boiling water
then i prep the first part of what i'm cooking
preheat a pan
add food
prep more while food is cooking
do my thing
complete process
serve and eat

oh i missed read the title i thought it said how do you do it.

yes i cook obviously

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes I love to cook. It's a creative outlet for me and I usually have a pretty willing audience so I don't usually get into a rut or bored with it. I love to bake too.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I love to cook. It's a creative outlet for me and I usually have a pretty willing audience so I don't usually get into a rut or bored with it. I love to bake too.

Same here. I've always loved to do it and I really enjoy experimenting with cooking.

Unfortunately, I've lost some of the joy I used to have in it. Over the past couple of years it's began to seem more like a chore than anything fun.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what... the meat expires? wtf. they never tell you how to deal with food.

I'm hopeless in the kitchen. Although, they say the food is tasty. It looks like a disaster.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Indian/Kashmiri :)

There's one particular sweetbread called "Roth" that my mom makes at least once a year, for our Punn pooja (where we pray for prosperity within our home). She has promised me and my sister that she will pass down the secret recipe to both of us when we're ready - according to tradition, the head woman in the household is responsible for preparing everything necessary and for leading the pooja. I want to at least keep that tradition alive.

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I love Indian food. :)

wolfy

awsm
Yes, and... what do people mean who say they can't cook? Do they mean they can't cook well?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am in the middle as well. My mother loved to cook for the sheer enjoyment of the activity. I am a good and willing cook, but I focus more on the end results. I do enjoy the challenge of planning and making meals for various groups and situations, or figuring out something to make with limited/missing ingredients, as well as experimenting with recipes. I don't like having to do any of this in a rush, though. Then it just becomes a chore. Having cleanup help does make things better.

I enjoy good food, and want to share that with my friends. This means when we get together at my house, my SO and/or I make a real dinner for everyone, served at the dining room table on china with cloth napkins, etc. We cook for a group of 8-10 routinely, and have been known to orchestrate the odd summer picnic for colleagues and families, ~50 people. I almost get annoyed by the people who act impressed and carry on about "how much work this is". It really isn't, not if you plan ahead, choose the menu carefully, and don't leave things to the last minute.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, and... what do people mean who say they can't cook? Do they mean they can't cook well?

Yeah, I've never understood this. I also never understand when people ask me to "teach them to bake." I'm always just like "Ugh, I followed the instructions..."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah, I've never understood this. I also never understand when people ask me to "teach them to bake." I'm always just like "Ugh, I followed the instructions..."

Right but I think baking is far more of an art than cooking. Most people I know can cook to some degree but very few can bake. I don't think you can be taught to bake either. You have to do it on your own.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Right but I think baking is far more of an art than cooking. Most people I know can cook to some degree but very few can bake. I don't think you can be taught to bake either. You have to do it on your own.

I was taught how to bake. mostly by watching my mom, then later trying on my own failing a few times, then finally getting it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been learning to cook lately, I love making good food but don't enjoy the process much. I'm too impatient, but once I get better at it I'll like it more.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I suppose that's true. Although, I do think I have learned a fair bit from watching Alton Brown's Good Eats. But, most of it is trial and error.