• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Planet Earth

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone seen this BBC series? It's a couple of years old and I haven't seen it but I got the entire 6 DVD series for $20 and I've started watching it.

In the little I've watched so far the first thing that moved me was when they talked about the endangered Amur leopard, now the rarest cat in the world. I've always heard about endangered species but I never knew JUST how endangered some of them were. Apparently, there are only 35-40 of them left and only 6 of those are females. So sad. We truly may see the end of their kind if they don't multiply rapidly or if they get poached. :cry:

Here's a picture. It's beautiful cat with a thicker fluffier fur (I'm partial to fluffy cats) than most other leopards.

amurleopardei5.jpg

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yep, it's one of my favorite shows. I'll probably buy it someday, but it'll be in Blu-Ray.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I love the episode that includes the fish that I keep (Lake Malawi Mbuna cichlids) in their natural habitat!

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
The anthropology types might like Baraka. I can send a veoh link if anyone wants one (assuming it's still up).

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I second the Baraka suggestion.

Microcosmos is wonderful as well.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
My parents have the series on DVD. Isn't there one called "Blue Planet" or something for the ocean life? They have that too. I haven't watched them but I've really been wanting to. I'd like to see it on blu-ray....

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watch it with me, Beat? We'll report what we liked/disliked back here.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds good :nice:. However my parents live far away. I did see part of the series used at suncoast... If not that I'll try to watch a bit when I go home on leave in a couple weeks (if my little brother hasn't lost/ruined the discs yet).

I'd really like to watch the ocean one especially. :yes:

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
A cliche, I know, but anything with David Attenborough has the potential to be life-changing if the time is invested and you give yourself up to it. His latest Life in Cold Blood series was wonderful.

Michael Palin's Sahara is profound for a bit of worldliness, too.

I'll get on to those veoh links.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
A cliche, I know, but anything with David Attenborough has the potential to be life-changing if the time is invested and you give yourself up to it. His latest Life in Cold Blood series was wonderful.

Michael Palin's Sahara is profound for a bit of worldliness, too.

I'll get on to those veoh links.

I think "Life on Earth" was probably my first real science book. I can remember being enthralled by it at about age 7. Some of the science was a tad heavy, but the amazing photos and history just carried it for me. It was life changing, I believe. Like a childhood enlightenment :yes:

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
My parents have the series on DVD. Isn't there one called "Blue Planet" or something for the ocean life? They have that too. I haven't watched them but I've really been wanting to. I'd like to see it on blu-ray....

That series was amazing. The first three I remember having me interested, then number 4 came on. It's title was "The Deep", and Lo! It was badass.

Also, do you remember that one, I think it was "After the Dinosaurs", that detailed the life that arose immediately after the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction, and basically tracked the "Age of Mammals"?

That was awesome.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't have the "Blue Planet" one. Never seen it. If I like Planet Earth, I might check that one out afterwards.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I second the Baraka suggestion.

Microcosmos is wonderful as well.
Baraka was really cool. We watched it at school once, no one had any idea what the hell was going on, but I thought it was cool (and I think I got the "meaning" of it, too, if there is one).

Planet Earth is such an amazing series. We watched it in Science in grade 10, I loved it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I loved how well shot it was and how much veriety there was to it.

Didums

BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL! Big Cats just fill me with this sense of awe... especially in their eyes, those eyes are amazing, how can an animal not of my species be so much more visually appealing to me than a human? I mean not sexually of course if it came off that way but honestly some creatures are just so much better looking than us lol.

*runs downstairs*

"Maaaaaa' can we get a leopard??? PLEEEEASSEEE? But Maaaaaaa'!! I want it I want it I want it!!"

I'd also like to note: Beautiful animals, usually smaller ones, but in the case of big cats it still applies.. that is what "Didums" means to me. Thats why I've got this cute little anteater avatar, its a "didums" to me, I don't know if the word has any real meaning but it doesn't matter lol.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahaha yes it's a beautiful cat, isn't it?? I don't think you can have it as a pet though, young Tarzan. ;)

For you:

YouTube - Amur Leopard