User Tag List

123 Last

WhoCares

Default Low impact farming - my permaculture project

So for the Past year I've been testing my permaculture ideas on someone elses half acre block. Now that I'm in the middle of purchasing my own acreage, my project is starting to take form. I've long desired to run a low impact farm, one that can be managed by one person, turn a profit, and requires minimal if any machinery. Obviously we are talking small acreage here, my plot is 8 acres. Eventually I will also owner build a strawbale home on this property and move into that.

I'm passionate about tending to the soil, enriching all life and onsite recycling of all waste products. So far I've acheived good success in cropping on a tiny plot. My mothers yard is now a foragers paradise and requires only a few hours a week to maintain. Between the garden and the chickens she doesn't need to buy food anymore. The next step is to create an income from a much larger plot. I've identified some potential markets in this local area, for a small amount of organically grown produce. Mostly supplying local restaurants with specialty seasonal produce. The climate is great allowing for year round growing, winter here is actually the most productive growing season. I've also got the ability to grow a range of tropical and temperate crops.

I'm excited to do this on a larger scale now. I'll be posting updates as I progress and I'm interested to hear from anyone else with their experiences or acreage aspirations. Would love to exchange permaculture ideas.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

So what are you growing on that larger scale?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Hey, that's really cool. Good for you.

WhoCares

I'm obsessed with the ancient herbs that we no longer routinely eat. Thing like borage, salad burnett, wild strawberries, edible flowers, dandelions, plantain etc. i've been living off these novel greens for the past year and they are tasty and interesting. Certainly better looking on a plate than wilted cos, and a lot more tasty too. In my current plot I grow an enormous range of food including....

Kale
    Dandelion
    Burdock
    Borage
    Kang kong
    Nasturium
    Tomato - currrently ten different types
    Okra
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Passionfruit
    Banana
    Guava
    Tamarillo
    Papaya
    Elderberry
    Rhubarb
    Corn
    Daikon
    Brussel sprouts
    Broccoli
    Malabar spinach
    English spinach
    Coriander, basil, thai basil, mint, melissa, hyssop, parsley, fennel, dill,
    Pumpkin
    Zucchini
    Luffa
    Snake beans, climbing beans, bush beans, snow pea, sugarsnap pea, soybean
    Cos lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, red lettuce
    Silverbeet, beetroot, carrots

Over the past year I've come to find out what grows well here without too much babying and what readily self seeds as well. My current plot is tiny and its entirely full now, I can't wait to use a decent sized bit of land.i'll start with one acre at a time, starting with a green manure crop to bring the soil utility up, then rotating various crops out.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Can I move in with you?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Where do you live?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

WhoCares

I'm in the antipoean subtropics.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

So cool, what's the layout like? Do you have any blueprints or pictures?

WhoCares

My plans for a permanent home include strawbale. My budget right now stretches to a shipping container. The how-to of making such a thing livable is a fairly simple task, mines and the millitary have used them for decades. There's many a blog on the internet covering things like insulation and plumbing. But I'm wrestling with the stylistic how-to. It's one thing to make it livable (albeit temporary and infrequent) but it's another thing to give it soul.

I'm both a traditionalist and minimalist at heart. I hate clutter but I love old fashioned overstuffed chairs. I hate stark walls but I love clean un-broken lines. How to marry my desire for an English country home in 360sq feet, with my love of cleanliness and order. I could never reside in a lab-like modern shell. That's too stark for me. Neither could I stay for long in a hippy den, sporting a wall of knick knacks. My favourite things include the 18th century, art nouveau and traditional japanese architecture. I'm a metalwork artist with a penchant for copper and LPG torches. There has to be a solution in all of that.

One thought that's occured to me is steampunk. Yep, okay victoriana hits the traditionalist streak, but it's cluttered and dark and knick knacky. But if we punk it up, and use a lot of metal, rivets and exposed plumbing with subway tiles I can see something cool happening here. Steampunk is like industrial for new romantic goths who never got over the 80's. Gaudy.

Then there's a part of me who wants to be a pretentious prat by reconstructing a tea ceremony house in a shipping container. What's not to like about natural wood tones, earthy expanses juxtaposed with greenery framed in a large window pane? The big rub here is that it's about as appropriate as a fart at a funeral. Last time I checked I wasn't living in minato-ku.

Solution? Japonaiserie. At the turn of the century my ancestors did re-express Japanese art in uniquely european ways. And to be honest, the results weren't hideous. Pare that down to make it a little more modern, add in conveniences like a loo and a shower and we could be talking something that is both stylish and comfortable without creating a theme park on my little farm. Still nutting out the details but I think I will keep the subway tiled bathroom with exposed copper plumbing, bung in a tiny bath with shower. Go minimalist with the kitchen cupboards, accent with hand wrought copper details. Save the earthy tones for the internal walls and perhaps even go for bamboo flooring and ceiling just to warm the space up.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

You can always use that paint that when it dries turns rustic. Not sure if you mentioned this already. What I have seen is, people use plastic containers and paint it with that, giving off the impression that it is heavy old metal but it is actually quite light to pick up