User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Eating Paleo

  1. #11
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    For purposes of Paleo I don't know, but in general no. Dairy generally consists of milk-based products.

  2. #12
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Enlightening. Thanks for all of your answers. Does dairy include eggs?
    For purposes of Paleo I don't know, but in general no. Dairy generally consists of milk-based products.
    Yeah, what Udog said. Often you'll hear them grouped together when people discuss diets, but really the only reason for that is that they're similar from the "I don't like to have animals die for me to eat" perspective.

    And yes, paleo is really good for "clean eating" -- although there's a lot of food that's technically not "paleo" that can be "clean" too -- mostly I'm thinking of things like 100% whole grains, whole milk, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #13
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Does dairy include eggs?
    I'm pretty sure you don't get them by milking birds, although I haven't actually tested personally.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  4. #14
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you don't get them by milking birds, although I haven't actually tested personally.
    "milking birds" ---- I immediately envision a big steel bucket of white bird excrement.
    Then a tall cold glass of it.
    Thank you for that.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  5. #15
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    "milking birds" ---- I immediately envision a big steel bucket of white bird excrement.
    Then a tall cold glass of it.
    Thank you for that.
    "Milking the pigeon" is an old expression for a fool's errand/exercise in futility, much like wild goose chase or snipe hunt.[/trivia]
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  6. #16
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    "Milking the pigeon" is an old expression for a fool's errand/exercise in futility, much like wild goose chase or snipe hunt.[/trivia]
    now I'm picturing vagrants attempting to accomplish this in an alleyway, for some reason..

    /going to hell
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  7. #17
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Beyond the dubious prediction of what paleolithic man actually ate, the argument I've heard in paleo and low-carb circles is that dairy elicits an impressive insulin response relative to the calories consumed. It's due to the composition of milk proteins, particularly whey, from what I recall. I don't think this applies to butter or cream though.

    This can be problematic for folks trying to lose weight or who have insulin and/or blood sugar control issues. If you're trying to gain weight I'd think it would be a good thing. Have your dairy @Giggly
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  8. #18
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I definitely don't want to lose weight, if anything I prefer to gain weight. I just like this idea of eating "clean".
    If you're focused on eating clean, then buy organic and cook everything at home from scratch. Forget processed or junk food. Even better, grow your own produce. Balance your diet, keeping portions reasonable (including dairy). Drink plenty of water. Exercise regularly. You'll be fine.

  9. #19
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'm not quite sure I agree about the 80/20 thing... but I'm not certain I disagree, either. While I do splurge once a week on a mini-loaf of banana bread (which I admit, I likely shouldn't), for the most part, I don't buy anything from the grocery store that's "non-compliant", and I only eat out once a week, where I generally give myself free reign, within reason (last night was aloo mataar with rice - not paleo, but not pizza and Crispy Creme, either).
    Yeah, the point is.. if you're going to be a hard core die hard over your diet at all, you're not going to enjoy food. You're not getting the benefits you want to be seeking by occasionally eating grains. The premise is that grains are essentially slow, non-lethal poisons--throwing off hormones, and causing imbalance in the system. But that's not really practical at all. The truth is, it's impossible to be on a dedicated diet 100% of any sort and have a social life regarding food. This is okay for the major diets--diabetics, DASH, etc.--because it's easy to adjust for. Paleo not so much. So, saying you're not allowed to have dairy is .. sort of useless. If all you eat is cheese and yogurt, and everything else is paleo, you're still on track so far as I can tell. It's no more cheating than enjoying an occasional meal out with friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Maybe try the diet with smaller amounts of dairy? Caplawyer is right about dairy intolerance - a lot of people don't handle lactose or various milk proteins very well. Some have significant reactions, and some have more minor intolerances. You can try reducing the amounts of dairy, and if all goes well, slowly increase it. If your diet quits working or you start feeling worse, you know to back off a bit.
    HEB, I don't know if ya'll have one, makes a GREAT milk called Mootopia. It's lactose free, and I happen to be an expert on how delicious milk is.. and that stuff tastes just like milk. The chocolate milk one is amazing too.

    I think, Giggly, you should only be concerned about what you THINK is bothering you. If you're worried about health, lean paleo because it emphasizes clean eating, and off-set it with smaller portions of the regular stuff. You could still be paleo and have a dose of yogurt. They have pretty cheap yogurt making machines, you could make it with lactose free yogurt. My sister started feeling a LOT better when she went lactose free, even though she lacks intolerance.

    Some people truly need a healthy dosage of carbs to function properly. Something like Paleo and Atkins usually are disasters for them.
    I could NOT survive without carbs--they're a HUGE part of my diet. Studying 8+ hours a day sometimes and working out over an hour a day.. if I lacked carbs, I'd be crashing constantly. The problem is that carbs are a quick energy--skipping meals on accident is just not something you should do on Paleo-style diets. You NEED all of that slow-burning energy at regular intervals. For me? I eat fairly healthy, and put total garbage in my mouth when I need something that instant. A sweet roll with a fatty cream filling is like 300 calories, and it's EXACTLY what I need for 4 hours of studying. It's expanding, complex, filling, and lasts. When I'm just bumming around the house I don't really snack and all of that, but if I didn't have carbs, as sporadic as I eat, I'd be severely deficient in nutrients.

    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    If you're focused on eating clean, then buy organic and cook everything at home from scratch. Forget processed or junk food. Even better, grow your own produce. Balance your diet, keeping portions reasonable (including dairy). Drink plenty of water. Exercise regularly. You'll be fine.
    Another really good point. You can slowly walk down towards a paleo diet. Like start off with eating paleo for breakfast and snacks. Then work on lunch. Stepping down that way will let your body adjust to the lack of sugars it was getting too.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #20
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I like the idea of this, but I don't understand why they don't eat dairy? I love dairy.
    Because the consumption of dairy products, especially that of other species, is very unnatural. Only humans do it and only humans do it past the time of weaning. Mammals weren't made to consume milk for long periods and naturally stop producing lactase after a certain age. Some people are able to do it because a mutation appeared in herding cultures that enabled adults to retain lactase productions. I'm pretty sure that this gene is dominant but even when you look at the entire human population, the majority is normal lactose-intolerant versus the abnormal lactose-tolerant. I have no idea if this is their argument for it or not though.

    I'm on a ketogenic diet right now myself. I'm doing it to combat the threat of diabetes and to lose weight from having to often take steroids. There's no way in hell I'd be able to eat like this indefinitely. Too restrictive and it wouldn't feel right. I do know that I will have to limit the amount of carbs I eat because I don't do well with large amounts of it.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI and eating disorders
    By Kaveri in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
  2. Eating Out
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
  3. What they don't tell you about eating boogers...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM
  4. Would you eat laboratory grown meat?
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO