• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thanksgiving Food

gromit

likes this
This thread is not about being thankful, it is about FOOD. Which I guess is actually something we all should be thankful for.

Thanksgiving is maybe my favorite holiday. This year I'm hosting an 'orphan' thanksgiving... my little brother is going to be in town and then 6+ random other people and my housemate. I just went to the grocery store and I'm starting to get ridiculously excited about what we will be eating.

My housemate is doing turkey.
For the veg folk I'm doing a lentil walnut stuffed pumpkin.

And gravy of course.

other foods I will make:
Roasted mixed veggies (potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, etc) with herbs and possibly dried cranberries
Green beans with butter and garlic
Roast spaghetti squash
Cranberry sauce
Biscuits
Pumpkin pie

Guests are bringing assorted pies, stuffing, salad, mashed potatoes and maybe some more pie...?

So... what are YOU making?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We will be making the classics.
Turkey
Two kinds of stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Jello salad
Pumpkin pie from scratch

The pumpkin pie will be my responsibility. :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk yet! It might end up being just me and my boyfriend unless we get invited somewhere in the next few days. So I might have to cook, uh oh. I'll probably roast a chicken, make some mashed potatoes, maybe try to make a pie? Scary.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My husband usually cooks Thanksgiving dinner, but he has to work and doesn't want to cook and I don't blame him. I'm not really a holiday person, so I'm not going to go crazy.

Turkey, gravy
Mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Stove Top stuffing
Sister Schubert's yeast rolls
Pumpkin pie from the grocery store bakery, whipped cream or Cool Whip

And our sons' birthdays are at the end of November so there will be, as requested, chocolate cake (made from a mix) with very little (store bought) icing and vanilla ice cream.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ever thought about what makes it a Thanksgiving food? My thoughts were that the ingredients had to all be native to the Americas, but I'd like to see what others' thoughts are.

gromit

likes this
Ever thought about what makes it a Thanksgiving food? My thoughts were that the ingredients had to all be native to the Americas, but I'd like to see what others' thoughts are.

Yeah no idea. I guess I think of the most traditional being turkey, cornbread, gravy, cranberries, and pumpkin pie, kind of New England-y. But I'm not doing cornbread this year even though I love it. I was getting kind of out of hand. Probably any sort of autumn harvest food is appropriate though.

Several years we had it with my parents' Indian (subcontinent, not American) neighbors and that was sooooooooo good, half 'traditional' thanksgiving food and then some like paneer and other delicious south asian foods. Somehow it all goes together amazingly.

Keep these food lists comin' folks :D

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
cranberry walnut sauce
pumpkin cake
homemade sage stuffing
all the other traditional trimmings
a bottle of cabernet sauvignon
a big fat bird

can't wait! yum!
:bananachamp:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My housemate is doing turkey.
For the veg folk I'm doing a lentil walnut stuffed pumpkin.

Pumpkins are truly the turkeys of the vegetable world. I baked one, and it lasted me two weeks. Good times.

gromit

likes this
Pumpkins are truly the turkeys of the vegetable world. I baked one, and it lasted me two weeks. Good times.

Ha awesome. Turns out the pumpkins at the store were too small for a main dish so I got a large crazy-looking gourd called Hubbard Squash. I had never seen it before today but apparently the inside flesh is orange and tastes very similar to pumpkin. I'll cut off a thin slice from the bottom so it sits level in the pan for when I bake it, and I think it will do nicely!

hubbard-squash-lg.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of orange things seem to taste similair. Sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkins,even carrots. Not oranges though. But everything else has an orange taste. I wonder what causes that, other than the sugar?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Well, I do try to get as much locally raised/produced items as I possibly can so that must count for something. The turkey is fresh from a nearby farm, most of the vegetables are too. I make my own bread for the stuffing and rolls and there is almost nothing processed.

Turkey
Stuffing made with challah, herbs and vegetables
Riced potatoes and gravy
Baked Sweet Potatoes on the half shell
Roasted Carrots with Thyme
Sauteed Green Beans
Cranberry Chutney
Butter Lettuce w/Champagne vinaigrette
Honey Oatmeal rolls
Brandied Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
On the roster:

Appetizers on the table beforehand:
Cubed cheese, pickles, olives, pickled okra, crackers, and dried sausage with a horseradish-peach chutney

The drinks:
Wassail
Sweet tea
Hot chocolate
A sweet wine
Sparkling cider

The actual meal:
Roasted turkey
A smoked ham
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin bread herb stuffing
Dinner rolls with sweet cinnamon butter
White and giblet gravy
Roasted lemon herb brussel sprouts
Cranberry sauce

For dessert:
Pumpkin pie
Olive sables
Chocolate mousse pie
Chocolate chip cookies

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cranberry walnut sauce
pumpkin cake
homemade sage stuffing
all the other traditional trimmings
a bottle of cabernet sauvignon
a big fat bird

can't wait! yum!
:bananachamp:

Cabernet sovignon ftw! So good with a good meal like that.

Also, sage stuffing? I'm on stuffing duty this year, and that sounds pretty awesome.

Idk if my blue collar Irish family would appreciate it as much as I would though :laugh:

Enjoy!

Beorn

Permabanned
hqdefault.jpg

Polyface turkey.
Tastes like freedom.

But I'm not the one in charge of that. I still have to figure out what I'm going to contribute to thanksgiving. Thinking about doing a tres leches cake. It should travel well and it gets better the longer it sits around anyway.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cabernet sovignon ftw! So good with a good meal like that.

Also, sage stuffing? I'm on stuffing duty this year, and that sounds pretty awesome.

Idk if my blue collar Irish family would appreciate it as much as I would though :laugh:

Enjoy!

:)
Meat, potatoes-- I'll bet Irish love Thanksgiving!
Hey- make a Soda Bread stuffing!! Maybe throw little bits of corned beef in it! There you go- Irish stuffing! (omg- now I want to make it and eat it lol)

EDIT:
OMG, it really exists!!! lol
http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Irish-Savory-Soda-Bread-Stuffing-Poultry

Last edited:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a stranger in a strange land, and my friends have seemed to evaporated for these next couple of months. But, I intend to source some tamales, tamales seem important on TG, and mashed potatoes, yukons with cream and butter and skin on.

limerick

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
excellent topic.... being off on my own with no home or family relatives in sight i believe i'll have to improv something this thanksgiving to get my own little feast of gratitude up and running... possibly even igniting a yearly tradition of very personalized thanks to God, country, founding fathers & native Americans for making this land i so lovingly inhabit what it is today.... sadly I am not much of a chef, my expertise runs about as deep as basic stove use and sometimes vegetarian stir-fry combined with the ever-reliable microwave :happy2:.. but will I be making a grocery run tomorrow to pick up a few things? you bet... do i have a personal vision for how this holiday should play out involving my own essential foods and accoutrements? you bet.. will i augment it with ice cream and maybe a little fancy beer? you bet.. do I love this country?? you bet