• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff posts some more water-photography. Enjoy!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Usual terms and conditions (critiques welcome, encouragements too).

First, Mill Falls in Kejimkujik National Park, Nova Scotia

2643455839_9abe9b1cde_b.jpg

Second, Green Bay, Nova Scotia

2644161034_3bf5ce2568_b.jpg

Third, Blomidon Provincial Park, Nova Scotia

2643984622_3bdd206cc5_b.jpg

More to follow if interest!

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
very cool, as always. You're seriously making me crave a better digital camera :) What kind do you use BTW?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I really need some sort of macro for answering a question like this (as it must be 20+ times on this forum alone)

It's a Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel in US) SLR with a 17-40L, usually with a circular polariser. In these shots there is usually a tripod involved.

MBTI Type
ENTP
In the third picture, of Blomidon Provincial Park, Nova Scotia, the mini-water fall splashing on the rocks... the color... it's almost unreal.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
In the third picture, of Blomidon Provincial Park, Nova Scotia, the mini-water fall splashing on the rocks... the color... it's almost unreal.

It's done with a long exposure (a number of seconds) and a polariser. it picks up the sunlight shining through the water. I admit it has a vibrancy boost when developed (which is pretty much what consumer cameras do to every picture taken!)

Glad you liked :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice pic composition on that last one, Geoff.
Very good eye, you found and made the most of the natural "S" there. :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Nice pic composition on that last one, Geoff.
Very good eye, you found and made the most of the natural "S" there. :)

:steam: Are you calling me a sensor?

If you, are thats cool :yes:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Awesome Pictures. Quite nice to look at.

(I wonder how you get the colors, they seem brighter/bolder than when I go outside and see things myself.)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Awesome Pictures. Quite nice to look at.

(I wonder how you get the colors, they seem brighter/bolder than when I go outside and see things myself.)

Wearing polarising lenses that aren't tinted will do this. Secondly, you need to boost the saturation a little. Which I do.. the effect I use is designed to be similar to velvia slide film (so about the same vibrancy boost as a quality traditional film)

Not sure if you can do both those things with the naked eye! Still, that's what art is for...

MBTI Type
INTJ
I really need some sort of macro for answering a question like this (as it must be 20+ times on this forum alone)

It's a Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel in US) SLR with a 17-40L, usually with a circular polariser. In these shots there is usually a tripod involved.

Are you happy with your Canon, Geoff? Would you buy it again? I'm considering a Digital Rebel XTi, which is the newest iteration.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Are you happy with your Canon, Geoff? Would you buy it again? I'm considering a Digital Rebel XTi, which is the newest iteration.

I would.. I might go just one model up in the range though, after years with the Rebel. It's been a good camera though, reliable and good in varied conditions.

The trick is pairing it with good glass. The kit lens is OK, but you'll notice a big difference with some L glass. Regrettably, so will your wallet.

I'm pretty sure you won't go wrong with it. You can always buy a better lens later too. Make sure you get at least a UV filter to protect the lens, and a polariser if you want some of the neater skies and colours to come through.

Canon and Nikon Digital SLRs are both good though, and I doubt there is much to choose between them as being the two main prosumer choices. I find some good advice on Steve's Digicams - Main Menu - good reviews and samples.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I would.. I might go just one model up in the range though, after years with the Rebel. It's been a good camera though, reliable and good in varied conditions.

The trick is pairing it with good glass. The kit lens is OK, but you'll notice a big difference with some L glass. Regrettably, so will your wallet.

I'm pretty sure you won't go wrong with it. You can always buy a better lens later too. Make sure you get at least a UV filter to protect the lens, and a polariser if you want some of the neater skies and colours to come through.

Canon and Nikon Digital SLRs are both good though, and I doubt there is much to choose between them as being the two main prosumer choices. I find some good advice on Steve's Digicams - Main Menu - good reviews and samples.

I think it's probably the XSi that's the latest one. Here's the Steve's Digicams review of it :

Steves Digicams - Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D - Hands on Review