User Tag List

Default Substitute Scotch for Vanilla Extract in Baking - Yea or Nay?

I am not sure how it's gonna come out if I do it. I'm making zucchini bread with a huge-ass zucchini from my friend's garden. I've never made the substitution before, but I got 3/4 way into the recipe and realized there's no vanilla in the house.

Thoughts? Anyone been there/done that?

I suspect it could be awesome in the right recipe, but I'm just not convinced this would be it...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

So, I chickened out, ended up using some lemon juice for a bit of oomph. The batter tastes fine/great, so I think it will be ok. I did do some googling and apparently whiskey is an excellent substitution for chocolate-based treats, so maybe I will try that next time I'm doing something chocolatey.

I don't know why I had to make an entire thread of this. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I tend to think of extracts as being pretty much optional and interchangeable. I often use almond extract instead of vanilla. I'd experiment with liquors/liqueurs if I had them around the house regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I tend to think of extracts as being pretty much optional and interchangeable. I often use almond extract instead of vanilla. I'd experiment with liquors/liqueurs if I had them around the house regularly.
    Except if you ever replace with peppermint, make sure to use waaaaay less than the amount of vanilla the recipe calls for

<<<(may or may not have learned that the hard way)

MBTI
    XXFP

^haha yes

i didn't know this sort of thing was an option? hmm. (eyes whiskey and almond extract laying around)
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I am not sure how it's gonna come out if I do it. I'm making zucchini bread with a huge-ass zucchini from my friend's garden. I've never made the substitution before, but I got 3/4 way into the recipe and realized there's no vanilla in the house.

Thoughts? Anyone been there/done that?
    I've never used scotch, but routinely substitute brandy and occasionally rum. If the taste is fairly generic (e.g. not something like creme de menthe, or kahlua), it should work. Recipes usually only call for a tsp or two of these things anyway.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I've never used scotch, but routinely substitute brandy and occasionally rum. If the taste is fairly generic (e.g. not something like creme de menthe, or kahlua), it should work. Recipes usually only call for a tsp or two of these things anyway.
    Yeah if I had either of those I would have been much more ok, especially the brandy. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    ^haha yes

i didn't know this sort of thing was an option? hmm. (eyes whiskey and almond extract laying around)
    I know, I am so excited to try making a whiskey-enhanced dessert now!