User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Unusual or Converted/Repurposed Homes?

Hey, guys, I'm working on a project featuring people who have unusual homes--homes that used to serve some other purpose. The weirder the better. Could be things like windmills, fire stations, water towers, restaurants, schools--anything that didn't use to be a (single family, not apartment complex) home, but is now.

If you have run across any interesting homes like this, either in your city/state or in your travels, please post them! Or tell me about them via PM.

Thanks in advance!
    Something Witty

Some buildings are made for multiple tasks, that is what you are searching for.

WhoCares

Sugar Mill, at the end of my street. Pretty georgian building.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Sugar Mill, at the end of my street. Pretty georgian building.
    Hey, WhoCares! Sorry I didn't see your comment! Can you tell me where the building is? I'd love to see pics of it.
    Something Witty

WhoCares

Heres an old listing which shows the building.

http://www.homehound.com.au/listing/...os=13557153_01

Unfortunately it has been made into apartments but its too big for single person home especially as it sits on a nature reserve and river in one of the most expensive cities in the world (up there in the top 10 now apparently).

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, wow, that is a really cool property! I wonder how much it's changed since they divided it into apartments...
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Hmm, I don't have any pictures, but I know of two old country churches that have since been turned into houses. In the one case, it was an artist who wanted to have a nice big studio inside his home. The church was either going to be taken down or sold for a dollar, as it was too expensive to move it, and the town it had once been part of no longer had any occupants. There is beautiful wood inside the building and it is a lovely home.

Pinterest will be your best friend for this I think, just go on there and search for repurposed barns or urban warehouse lofts, you'll find a lot.

not sure where this repurposed barn is...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Hmm, I don't have any pictures, but I know of two old country churches that have since been turned into houses. In the one case, it was an artist who wanted to have a nice big studio inside his home. The church was either going to be taken down or sold for a dollar, as it was too expensive to move it, and the town it had once been part of no longer had any occupants. There is beautiful wood inside the building and it is a lovely home.
    Can you PM me anything you know about it (location, etc)? I'm doing research to feature some of these homes on a tv show. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kfarb View Post
    Pinterest will be your best friend for this I think, just go on there and search for repurposed barns or urban warehouse lofts, you'll find a lot.

not sure where this repurposed barn is...
    Man, that is gorgeous! I traced it back as far as it would go, and the original blog didn't provide details--wish I could locate that one!
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Sure thing!