• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unusual or Converted/Repurposed Homes?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey, guys, I'm working on a project featuring people who have unusual homes--homes that used to serve some other purpose. The weirder the better. Could be things like windmills, fire stations, water towers, restaurants, schools--anything that didn't use to be a (single family, not apartment complex) home, but is now.

If you have run across any interesting homes like this, either in your city/state or in your travels, please post them! Or tell me about them via PM.

Thanks in advance!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, wow, that is a really cool property! I wonder how much it's changed since they divided it into apartments...

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm, I don't have any pictures, but I know of two old country churches that have since been turned into houses. In the one case, it was an artist who wanted to have a nice big studio inside his home. The church was either going to be taken down or sold for a dollar, as it was too expensive to move it, and the town it had once been part of no longer had any occupants. There is beautiful wood inside the building and it is a lovely home.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm, I don't have any pictures, but I know of two old country churches that have since been turned into houses. In the one case, it was an artist who wanted to have a nice big studio inside his home. The church was either going to be taken down or sold for a dollar, as it was too expensive to move it, and the town it had once been part of no longer had any occupants. There is beautiful wood inside the building and it is a lovely home.

Can you PM me anything you know about it (location, etc)? I'm doing research to feature some of these homes on a tv show. Thanks!

Pinterest will be your best friend for this I think, just go on there and search for repurposed barns or urban warehouse lofts, you'll find a lot.

not sure where this repurposed barn is...

Man, that is gorgeous! I traced it back as far as it would go, and the original blog didn't provide details--wish I could locate that one!

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I know someone who lives in old church. I have also heard that in some of the more rural areas of my state there are old Grange Halls that have been converted into houses, though I don't personally know any one that has lived in one.