User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Bicycle Baskets

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'd take it to a bike shop and see what's compatible before you pay for anything.

You're going to be able to hold the most with a rear-rack and panniers, but those are expensive. Cheaper options include a rear-rack and milk crate on top, and a backpack.

Also: your bars might make installing weight-bearing a basket difficult, because it's towards the pleasure geometry end rather than the workhorse end.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'd take it to a bike shop and see what's compatible before you pay for anything.

You're going to be able to hold the most with a rear-rack and panniers, but those are expensive. Cheaper options include a rear-rack and milk crate on top, and a backpack.

Also: your bars might make installing weight-bearing a basket difficult, because it's towards the pleasure geometry end rather than the workhorse end.
    i have no idea what the last sentence means that's my i have no clue face-so-i
    m-gonna-keep-smiling
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    yupp

I texted my dad and asked him to ask his friend who knows a lot about bikes for reccomendations, and my dad's like i'll show him the bike (I also texted a pic of it) and he might have something lying around that he might give me. so I might not have to pay for it, but not holding my breath at the same time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I've always thought bike baskets to be handy and felt it would be useful, but they're also considered girly, and I won't use one.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    I've always thought bike baskets to be handy and felt it would be useful, but they're also considered girly, and I won't use one.
    i dunno there's some masculine looking ones
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    Panniers!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Panniers!
    Huh?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

It's a bag or basket attached to the side of the rear bicycle rack like this:

Fairly unisex in my opinion. And they can have a huge capacity.
    Likes Kas liked this post

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Panniers!
    yeah i second this from a handling and capacity standpoint. best solution.

but for simplicity a plain ol basket is probably fine. some people find taking panniers on and off/setting them up difficult.

despite the unpleasant handling characteristics with a lot of weight i've used a rear rack and been just fine.

i don't have any pics but i modded my rear rack with a piece of 5mm underlayment (like thin plywood). I radiused the edges with a jigsaw and coated the whole thing in polyurethane (underside with truck bed undercoat for rain proofing would be a good idea but i just thick enamel coated). then I screwed this into the aluminum rack with sheet metal screws. basically made a platform for strapping stuff down and it blocks rain too. and the wood top looks kinda cool. bike is in another state otherwise i'd take a picture.

i actually just made it as a test and never took it apart. also, now I can carry light passengers on the bumper, but that's probably pushing it too far.

edit: so the benefit of the platform is you can strap a back down and not worry about the straps hanging down, or you can drop a basket on top and strap the whole thing in place and then remove it. also good for carrying the big u locks flat. etc. it's just a small improvement over a regular rear rack. you can probably buy something like it ready made.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Yeah I want to get some, but right now I just use a basket and bungee cord to keep stuff falling out of the basket. Will see how far the grocery store is after I move probably.

@Bamboo, I can't quite picture what you are saying with the plywood. You affixed it to the top of the rear rack?