User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Spice me up

Hate

Default Spice me up

My palette needs a makeover. I need to get some new spices and seasonings. I’ve been using the same ones for a while now. I’m looking in my cupboard and all I have are:

1 Lawry’s salt-free 17 seasoning
    1 granulated garlic powder
    1 season salt
    1 Mrs. Dash salt-free original blend
    1 Kirkland organic no salt seasoning blend

I don’t know too much about seasonings or how to combine spices etc… I use them mainly for pan frying chicken and fish...

I need to get some new flavors in my life. So what kind should I go out and buy and how should I combine them?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for throwing at chicken and such I tend to keep a couple of spice mixes on hand... if you have access to a good international grocery store you should be able to find them

shichimi is good... a mix of several peppers, sesame seeds, orange peel, ginger and nori

adobo seasoning (goya)- which is garlic powder, onion powder, oregano. pepper and salt (it's really my go to seasoning when in doubt)

I have some sort of spicy fajita seasoning that I bought which is awesome and I'm in love with it... it's spicy and fajita-ish but I use it on other things as well

the man bought a giant thing of creole seasoning which I use from time to time... it's good on fries as well

I also will happily throw chipotle chili powder or smoked paprika at almost anything

fines herbs are awesome with potatoes and fish

I also tend to keep around some garam masala and berbere for in case I feel like Indian or Ethiopian spices with my foods... like I said, a good international grocery store

though hunting any of these down is totally worth it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Ginkgo

Whatever you do, don't make it K-2.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    for throwing at chicken and such I tend to keep a couple of spice mixes on hand... if you have access to a good international grocery store you should be able to find them
    I just googled 'international grocery store' for my city and found a pretty good one, I'm gonna go check it out later.

I'm excited.

shichimi is good... a mix of several peppers, sesame seeds, orange peel, ginger and nori
    This one sounds pretty good. I really like ginger.

adobo seasoning (goya)- which is garlic powder, onion powder, oregano. pepper and salt (it's really my go to seasoning when in doubt)
    I'm getting this one.

I also will happily throw chipotle chili powder or smoked paprika at almost anything
    Smoked paprika has also been added to my list. That shit sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Whatever you do, don't make it K-2.

ur silly

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I've seen this before on the tables of the Thai restaurant's I've been to, but never bothered to try it, I'll check it out.

Chinese five spice powder and cayenne pepper powder is good on chicken.

Herbes de provence (fennel, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, lavender) is a really beautiful spice mix, smells and tastes great.

This is not technically a spice, but Asian Kitchen makes really good Thai red and green curry pastes ... heat it up with a smear of oil and add some coconut milk to it and then whatever stir fried protein and veggies you want, omg so good.

Sriracha is heavenly. I like whipping it up with mayo to make a dipping sauce like the spicy mayo they serve in Japanese restaurants.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Some good ones: Cilantro, basil, turmeric - supposed to be good for something...I can't remember what..and Himalayan sea salt.

If you get Basil or Cilantro grocery stores usually have them fresh.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I just googled 'international grocery store' for my city and found a pretty good one, I'm gonna go check it out later.

I'm excited.
    the best part about such stores is that things are usually quite cheap

This one sounds pretty good. I really like ginger.
    I get made fun of all of the time because I use A LOT of ginger while cooking... I have my own spice mix that I use pretty frequently that's ginger, garlic powder, red chili flakes, black sesame seeds and salt... it's pretty perfect

I'm getting this one.
    it's also a good seasoning when making rice... not to mention any meat that's being cooked

Smoked paprika has also been added to my list. That shit sounds good.
    it makes chili taste like it's been cooked a lot longer than it has... and it makes everything deliciously smoky

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I've seen this before on the tables of the Thai restaurant's I've been to, but never bothered to try it, I'll check it out.
    it is, quite seriously, one of the best hot sauces EVER... it's both sweet and spicy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I would also recommend garlic chile sauce which is also an asian thing. Just doing something simple like adding lime to something can bring a lot of flavor. I would also recommend mint or thyme perhaps. If you are willing to have higher flavor but with increased fat content I would look into curries, korean plum sauce, spring roll sauce, perhaps adding a bit of olive oil to something, peanut sauce, hollandaise, etc. It can be harder to find natural tasting low calorie options for seasoning/flavor, but make a soup with the bones of your favorite meat in order to add flavor without all the additional calories. Also, you can try something like lemonade with equal or something. It is not just about the spices in the food, it is about how the whole meal comes together to have an effect on your palette. Usually something sour/bitter works as an effective palette cleanser and ginger is a great thing to add to anything. I think you have to think outside of "seasonings" though and add new foods to the mix as well for flavor. Perhaps a mango ceviche for example for that nice sweet/umami mixture with a bit of a tart kick by adding a bit of onion and lemon. Think of combinations of foods in terms of the flavor profiles they bring to the table and which combinations you have tended to enjoy in the past then remake them with new ingredients by substituting one protein for another or one carbohydrate for another or an acid for an another, etc.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.