User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Default Need Advice on Giving Subcutaneous Fluids to My Cat

Calling some of those I know who might be able to help me: @Z Buck McFate @Lexicon @Amargith

This last bag of subcutaneous fluids has been getting a lot of air bubbles in the line when I store it for the next use. Is there a way to store the bag that will keep it from getting air bubbles?

Right now I have the bag on a hanger, hanging on a hook in a closet, with the line draped over the neck of the hanger so that it won't hit the ground. There is a blue pinch clamp, plus a roller clamp farther down the line from the pinch clamp. The air bubbles always are in the line after the roller clamp.

Also, should I be worried about the air bubbles forming in the line? Do they indicate a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have no medical training where cats are concerned, but I don't think air getting under the skin is a big deal. If the needle went directly into the bloodstream, then obviously it'd be reason for concern- but I wouldn't be too worried about air bubbles getting in the line because it just goes under the skin. (I'd call the vet to make sure.)

As far as air getting in there in the first place, I really don't know. I don't remember having that problem. (Sorry.) As long as the bag is hanging while you're actually doing it though- I'd think that'd stop additional air from going through the line once you've started? Can you empty out the line before starting, to clear the line too?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@Z Buck McFate, I don't remember having this problem with previous bags. I've found if I flick the line, the air will move towards the needle and then I can open the clamp and it will empty out. Little doesn't like the feel of the air coming out once the needle under her skin, so I do try to empty the line of air beforehand. It's just a time-consuming pain to get the air to move--lots of flicking involved.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Maybe just get a new bag? I've only had to do it for a week, and don't remember ever having this problem.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I know a little about giving IV fluids but that's it. The bag has to be higher up than the line. Once it's up there tap or flick the line with your fingers to work all the air bubbles up. Air wants to go up, fluid wants to go down. Stop the administration before the bag is empty.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Thanks, everyone. I went to pick up a new bag of fluids and asked the tech at the vet's. She said I need to hang the line lower than the bag while it's being stored.
    Johari / Nohari