• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Patriot Gardens

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/...ml?pagewanted=4&src=rechp&pagewanted=all&_r=0

I found this article amusing. I don't have any gardens in the front lawn, but there is a few vegetables and fruits that are grown in the back yard. In fact, there is a mandarin tree in the backyard that has sprouted mandarins for some time. I can't wait for them to be harvested soon. :D

Most of my neighbors in my street do have at least one large tree on their lawns (mines been there before my family move to this place.) Everything else aside, the front lawn is just a front lawn. We don't use it for anything... really... it is just there to be mowed every so often.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's ridiculous that they can't grow vegetables where they want to on their own property.

I can understand ordinances against trash and old cars, but to tell somebody their house looks like a farm, as if that's a bad thing? They need to be visited by Rick James. "Fuck! yo! house! Buy a new one ya rich mothafucka!"

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's ridiculous that they can't grow vegetables where they want to on their own property.

I can understand ordinances against trash and old cars, but to tell somebody their house looks like a farm, as if that's a bad thing? They need to be visited by Rick James. "Fuck! yo! house! Buy a new one ya rich mothafucka!"

What makes it weird is that the guy owns property next door, but essentially lives in Puerto Rico.

I've seen way worse where neighbors would not even properly water their lawns so that everything essentially turns yellow or won't mow them until they get really tall (where they have sprinklers.)

I actually think it looks better than some of the lawns I've come across in this neighborhood.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I see a huge problem with the ordinances themselves, though.

I understand wanting things neat and tidy--and I also understand if you sell the property or are renting it out to renovate the land to suit the next customers (turning the garden back into grass before you go unless the new owners request it to stay) but to stop people from gardening and running urban homesteads? It's ridiculous. These are the notions that were considered patriotic not even a lifetime ago. Farming is not a bad thing, and looking like one isn't a bad thing either.

People find keeping chickens an odd thing too--but they're practical pets. They create eggs, but they're also less noisy than dogs (so long as they're hens) and no more intrusive. And no one ever heard of a chicken being dangerous if it got out of its living space. Same for goats. Small dwarf goats are way less noisy than a barking dog, and they're skittish in nature not overbearing like dogs can be for people scared of them. You'd think it'd be more polite to keep those farm animals in consideration for the neighbors.

And seriously, what constitutes a garden versus ground cover? Does a garden not sufficiently cover the ground? If they put walking stones between the plants would that be considered sufficient? As long as it doesn't look like a garden are they in the clear, like it they plant a wild-flower garden?

How is this:
1254275507e1ne51.jpg

Better somehow than this:

5012003277bc1.preview-620.jpg

Overall, I assume the white house sides with the gardeners...

white-house-vegetable-garden.jpeg

So the gardeners should be able to win this battle if they're loud enough.

Attachments

• white-house-vegetable-garden.jpeg
    white-house-vegetable-garden.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 84