• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fishing

Lark

Dont know if this is the right place for this but I'll post it here to begin with.

What do any of you know about fishing? Is it a good pass time? Do you need to know a lot or get a lot of things to break into it as a pass time?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fishing is boring as fuck unless you do it in a populated lake/river.
I only did it for food when camping. It was satisfying in a primal sort of way, to catch/clean/eat your own fish by a fire.
Just need a pole, fishing line, bobber, & plenty of live worms.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Its literally the easiest "sport" I've ever participated in. There's a ton of ins and outs and people have turned it into a science, but as far as getting started it's one of the easiest ones to break into. No real talent or practice needed. Coincidentally, it's not really too fun on its own. But! With friends, some drinks, and music it's a good way to sort of be productive while doing something you'd normally do anyways.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like to fish. It doesn't have to cost a lot. You can buy some fishing line and hooks, tie it to a stick, dig up some worms if you want to be really cheap. I don't fish often enough to spend a lot of money. I have a fishing rod and a halfway decent reel. I use the little weights you squeeze onto the line and I buy red worms at the gas station. Bobbers can be nice, but you don't have to have them. I usually fish at the wetland outside town.

For years I didn't fish because I didn't really have anybody to watch the kids, my husband doesn't fish, and fishing with four kids by myself didn't result in me doing much besides baiting hooks and pulling line out of trees. There isn't any reason I can't go now. I keep not buying a license because I'm afraid I'll only go once and I'll have wasted the money. That's really silly because it's only $17. :doh:

NathanZ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I hate eating fish, but love fishing. Every year my Dad and brother and I take off for a week or so to a lake somewhere, sit in a boat, and troll for trout. I like catching (and releasing) them, the fun of the fight, but for me it's mostly about being on the water with people I love.

Lark

I hate eating fish, but love fishing. Every year my Dad and brother and I take off for a week or so to a lake somewhere, sit in a boat, and troll for trout. I like catching (and releasing) them, the fun of the fight, but for me it's mostly about being on the water with people I love.

I think I'd like that, going lake fishing with someone.

On the other hand the shark clip made me think about it for a moment.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
TBH anyone can do it, but it does help to have someone else around who knows a bit. There's lots of little things you can pick up to make it easier and provide a little method in the madness - where the fish tend to be, what sort of fish are good to catch and how they each behave, how tides play a role (if you're fishing in the sea), what knots are useful, what bait/lure works on what fish, what to try if things aren't working, how to prepare and cook different fish etc.

Besides it's more fun to go with someone else - at least to have someone to complain with when you're catching nothing. :D

LucrativeSid

I've been going fishing for my whole life. (Fresh water.) Fishing for catfish from the bank of a river or lake is very easy. That's probably a good starting point. Circle hooks are good for beginners. Night crawlers are good because you can catch anything on them. I'm one of those people that'll go fishing alone. Going with company is good, too, as long as everybody can stay on task. Also, you have to be able to enjoy the experience without catching anything. Sometimes you don't get any bites. Sometimes you lose a big one. You just have to keep at it.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've gone fishing 3-4 times and I enjoyed it each time. I've gone pier fishing and surf fishing. My favorite was in San Francisco with kalimari as bait. I recommend taking some whiskey and making a day of it.