User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Fishing

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I hate eating fish, but love fishing. Every year my Dad and brother and I take off for a week or so to a lake somewhere, sit in a boat, and troll for trout. I like catching (and releasing) them, the fun of the fight, but for me it's mostly about being on the water with people I love.
    'There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.' - George Carlin

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by NathanZ View Post
    I hate eating fish, but love fishing. Every year my Dad and brother and I take off for a week or so to a lake somewhere, sit in a boat, and troll for trout. I like catching (and releasing) them, the fun of the fight, but for me it's mostly about being on the water with people I love.
    I think I'd like that, going lake fishing with someone.

On the other hand the shark clip made me think about it for a moment.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

TBH anyone can do it, but it does help to have someone else around who knows a bit. There's lots of little things you can pick up to make it easier and provide a little method in the madness - where the fish tend to be, what sort of fish are good to catch and how they each behave, how tides play a role (if you're fishing in the sea), what knots are useful, what bait/lure works on what fish, what to try if things aren't working, how to prepare and cook different fish etc.

Besides it's more fun to go with someone else - at least to have someone to complain with when you're catching nothing.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

I've been going fishing for my whole life. (Fresh water.) Fishing for catfish from the bank of a river or lake is very easy. That's probably a good starting point. Circle hooks are good for beginners. Night crawlers are good because you can catch anything on them. I'm one of those people that'll go fishing alone. Going with company is good, too, as long as everybody can stay on task. Also, you have to be able to enjoy the experience without catching anything. Sometimes you don't get any bites. Sometimes you lose a big one. You just have to keep at it.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I've gone fishing 3-4 times and I enjoyed it each time. I've gone pier fishing and surf fishing. My favorite was in San Francisco with kalimari as bait. I recommend taking some whiskey and making a day of it.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.