First 1234 Last

Thread: Warm

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    FWIW I'm from Ye Northern Climes and I've never heard of anyone using those and my gut tells me that people would use them if they worked. But they could also be a well-kept secret.
    What, really? Those clear plastic sheets are definitely a thing around here (ON, Canada), especially around drafty windows. Not as useful for the new well-insulated windows since they don't leak nearly as much warmth. They can make a huge difference on older/poorly insulated windows, though. I'm not sure how much they'd be affected by the small hole, my guess would be not a huge amount.

If the windows don't feel drafty a space heater might be a good option, or of course just wearing warmer clothes.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What, really? Those clear plastic sheets are definitely a thing around here (ON, Canada), especially around drafty windows. Not as useful for the new well-insulated windows since they don't leak nearly as much warmth. They can make a huge difference on older/poorly insulated windows, though. I'm not sure how much they'd be affected by the small hole, my guess would be not a huge amount.

If the windows don't feel drafty a space heater might be a good option, or of course just wearing warmer clothes.
    I read a forum where a lady tried it and she taped a box around the area before she cut the hole so it wouldn't tear, not a bad idea. Said it worked pretty well. I think I will go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Interesting. Then other people must be using them where I'm from and I just haven't noticed. (Also, it's likely that fewer people I know have drafty windows.)

I will keep this in mind, then, for if I end up living somewhere with drafty windows and cold average temperatures! Thanks, Randomnity and gromit
    ^ This is what we usually do.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Yes I am all about the warm clothing and layers. Space heater might be more of an investment than I'm willing to invest in though.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Question. Insulating plastic window sheets.

My new room is small but has five windows, and when the heat is turned down low (pretty much always, except for 7:30-8:30 AM), it gets freeeezing. I have used those plastic sheets before in other apartments, but those rooms did not have blinds. The blinds in my bedroom now are inside the window frame. If I cover the windows with the plastic sheet I will not be able to operate the blinds.

My understanding is that the sheet creates a pocket of air between the plastic and the glass, which acts as an insulator. Does it seem legit to cover the window with the plastic and then cut a very small hole at the top corner for the strings from the blinds? Some cold air from that layer between the plastic and the glass would leak out, of course. But would it be so much that it is not worth it? Leaning toward no, but would appreciate anyone with actual experience with this.
    If you have what I'm thinking of...on both ends of the blinds there should be a square box holding them up. They have screw-holes on every side of them. Just unscrew them to take em down, put the plastic sheets up and then screw the two boxes to the front of the window frame instead of on the inside of the jamb.

Not to derail (its still on subject just not windows) I work outside for hours at a time but I need good use of my fingers. I have wasted a bunch of money on gloves that just aren't cutting it. Does anybody know of a good brand of gloves that are durable but can keep me warm and my fingers flexible?
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

@Ponyboy what kind of work do you do outside?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I work on a construction site. The first 5-6 hours of my day involve operating a buck hoist, which is just a construction elevator that is attached to the outside of the buliding. I am pretty much constantly hooking/unhooking carabeeners which is why I need finger flexibility. I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use. And winter hasn't even started yet! Though I got a taste of it last week when it got down to the 30's. Wonder what the single digit/negative days will be like?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I lived near the Arctic Circle for a while. Space heaters and long underwear are my favorite. And fuzzy blankets, since their fuzz traps heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy
    I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use
    Ugh I understand. Is there any chance that wearing the thin pair underneath with a thicker pair of fingerless over the top would be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I work on a construction site. The first 5-6 hours of my day involve operating a buck hoist, which is just a construction elevator that is attached to the outside of the buliding. I am pretty much constantly hooking/unhooking carabeeners which is why I need finger flexibility. I have found some gloves that are thin enough but aren't warm and I have found warm gloves but they have all been too bulky for effective use. And winter hasn't even started yet! Though I got a taste of it last week when it got down to the 30's. Wonder what the single digit/negative days will be like?
    I will try to remember to ask my dad what he used to use. He worked construction for many years.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I lived near the Arctic Circle for a while. Space heaters and long underwear are my favorite. And fuzzy blankets, since their fuzz traps heat.

Ugh I understand. Is there any chance that wearing the thin pair underneath with a thicker pair of fingerless over the top would be helpful?
    Oh yeah, I practically live in long johns from about now til....whenever. Unfortunately its the fingers I need to be warm the most. Not sure if its a circulation issue but my fingers get super cold really quickly!