User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Warm

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    That is so cool. Someday I will go there! Although I have a couple other trips line up first, to visit people who have moved away. Have you been on a whale watch before?
    Yes, I have actually. I went on one that left from Reykyavik and I saw a bunch of dolphins and a couple Minsk Whales. It was thrilling. I REALLY want to see Humpbacks sometime.... but another time, another ocean.

I explored the MAR region there and that was super fun... to "be" on two continents at the same time.

If/when you are planning on going, make sure to hit me up!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I like that they are a natural fabric.
    Yeah, that way they won't melt and stick to you like polyester does if you're exposed to fire (random irrelevant knowledge).

You might want to check SmartWool, if you haven't already. http://www.smartwool.com/womens/l/baselayer.html

What is cold, like 58?
    That's actually about what the lows have been lately, and the highs in the 80-90 range, which is a bit warmer than usual. In the winter it usually gets down to the 30s and sometimes the 20s.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

WALMART

@ gromit

Uh, it occasionally gets down in the teens? lol.

Riding my motorcycle in it is way freezing. I don't do it much anymore, now the novelty of riding has worn off. Though I do have a nice little warm engine cradle to plunge my hands into at red lights and on the highway

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Those thin thermals that you posted Gromit, they're amazing. The army issued things just like that to us, and most of the time I didn't even need a jacket when it wasn't snowing, just those things and a beanie and I was set.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Those thin thermals that you posted Gromit, they're amazing. The army issued things just like that to us, and most of the time I didn't even need a jacket when it wasn't snowing, just those things and a beanie and I was set.
    What is the material?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

What is the material?
    http://www.polartec.com/ This brand. http://polartec.com/uploads/pdfs/POL_Mil_ECWCS_G3.pdf This system. The first one on the upper left corner in the picture is what I was referring to. (We get pants with boy-style crotches anyways )

They're amazingly warm, I frequently fore-go the pants just because I'm wearing boots and it takes a slight effort to remove your pants once you're dressed in uniform and I know it will be a bit warmer later in the day. They breathe too so you don't feel suffocated, and they're so thin that you don't feel bulky and balloon-like walking around in them.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Question. Insulating plastic window sheets.

My new room is small but has five windows, and when the heat is turned down low (pretty much always, except for 7:30-8:30 AM), it gets freeeezing. I have used those plastic sheets before in other apartments, but those rooms did not have blinds. The blinds in my bedroom now are inside the window frame. If I cover the windows with the plastic sheet I will not be able to operate the blinds.

My understanding is that the sheet creates a pocket of air between the plastic and the glass, which acts as an insulator. Does it seem legit to cover the window with the plastic and then cut a very small hole at the top corner for the strings from the blinds? Some cold air from that layer between the plastic and the glass would leak out, of course. But would it be so much that it is not worth it? Leaning toward no, but would appreciate anyone with actual experience with this.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ Interesting. Not sure how much good that would do, but it's worth a look.

FWIW I'm from Ye Northern Climes and I've never heard of anyone using those and my gut tells me that people would use them if they worked. But they could also be a well-kept secret.

You could always use a space heater? My bedroom back at my parent's house is a converted sun room so three of the four walls are windowed, so it gets really cold in there unless I put a space heater in. (I usually put a container of water on top of the heater so the heat doesn't dry out the room too badly.)

Re: long-johns. You should get fleece footie pajamas!
    I like these Wolverine ones.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I have used them before and I think they do help, esp in older buildings with not as good windows.

It's not horrible, and I can go to the library, a cafe, or my bed when it gets too chilly!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I always tended to use heavy curtains to curb chill coming from windows.. I have a summer curtain and a winter one.

I think probably the better (but not cheaper) investment would be a small space heater to curb the hours that it gets too cold in the room.

This year we won't be able to afford the central heat, so instead we're going to have a wood-burning fireplace going, a couple space heaters that will transfer rooms depending on the day, more baking in the oven, and some heated blankets for night time.