User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I had a recipe that called for horseradish, and rather than using the raw form of that, I used mustard greens. I'm not sure how I arrived at that, but it seemed to work pretty well. Use it to give something a "kick"'. I suppose this only works if you like spicy food.

The recipe I used it for was a liverwurst sandwich, IIRC.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I got a bunch of swiss chard because it was on sale and looked beautiful and I've heard good things about it. But I don't know what to do with it (other than my usual strategy with greens: garlic and olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon). Any suggestions?
    Might be too late, but here's what I love to do with swiss chard:

Sautee some garlic in olive oil
    Add chopped stems from the SC, let them start to get tender
    Add chopped leaves of SC, chopped tomatoes, and drained white beans
    Season with salt, pepper, crushed rosemary

Great with roast potatoes or maybe some crusty bread (or on its own), and you can eat the leftovers cooked into scrambled eggs too.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Oh, and @senza tema, make sure you wash/rinse it well. It can have lots of sand/grit that sort of ruins the delicate texture.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Next ingredient up: fresh fennel

Anyone have anything delicious with that? I used to hate anything remotely licorice-flavored: candy, star anise, fennel. Suddenly, it is delicious to me!

ps @senza_tema, I made some "saag" paneer with the dandelion greens. It was delish.
    Lightly "braisé", fennels are a good companion of several white ocean fishes with firm flesh, like bass. Fennels and sea bass is a classic dish in my home Britanny.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 04-20-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Lightly "braisé", fennels is a good companion of several white ocean fishes with firm flesh, like bass. Fennels and sea bass is a classic dish in my home Britanny.
    Ok I have never braised anything. Is it like roasting except with a broth sort of?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Ok I have never braised anything. Is it like roasting except with a broth sort of?
    Saute the fennel in a pan with a little oil until lightly browned, then add a liquid like broth and cook until tender.

I hear fennel is good raw, sliced very thin, with oranges, olive oil, a vinegar and salt and pepper. I really dislike anything with anise flavor so can't say if it's actually good.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Saute the fennel in a pan with a little oil until lightly browned, then add a liquid like broth and cook until tender.

I hear fennel is good raw, sliced very thin, with oranges, olive oil, a vinegar and salt and pepper. I really dislike anything with anise flavor so can't say if it's actually good.
    True.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/o...ipe/index.html

I don't care for licorice/anise flavor either but this is an excellent salad. That flavor is almost undetectable. The crunch is very pleasant and the orange pairs nicely with the vinaigrette.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

@Redbone and @ceecee, that sounds terribly easy. I will have to try it next time fennel is on sale.

It's crazy, I used to feel the same way as you both, but in the past 1-2 years my taste buds have come around to the flavor.

Next up... dried lima beans!

These were on sale, so I picked up a bag. Last time I had them was as a kid, steamed, from the freezer. The green kind. I just remember them being kinda icky and bland.

Now as an adult I am ready to give it another try. I love to prepare different kinds of dried beans. I somehow think I could make it work maybe with some herbs, butter, and leeks or something... but I was wondering if anyone has some great ideas for how to cook them (preferably vegetarian haha...)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I was making a recipe last night -- peanut noodle slaw (YUM) -- that called for one small green cabbage. But all they had at the grocery were really big, like the size of my head. So now I have a little over half of a giant cabbage that I don't know what to do with.

Anyone have favorite cabbage recipes?

Edit: Ha, totally missed that @gromit asked about cabbage earlier in the thread.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!