So i phoned around and took him to the rspca. It operates slightly differently from my vet (which is private), because it's a charity. The service is poor in comparisson and i still have to pay (and i do not begrudge it at all) but it's a brilliant service if you have no alternative in an emergency. Much like the NHS.
I have to wait until after lunch tomorrow to phone back and find out the latest news and to see if we can visit. They said he was in isolation and we would have to go in suited and booted if allowed.
Honestly though i will be phoning my vet tomorrow, if i don't get some communication flow, to ask their opinion and if necessary will see if i can get him transferred.