• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

whatcha eating?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Too much crap. Went to the grocery and am equipped to do better starting tomorrow.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
cheese

if the water ever boils i'm going to have 7 cheese tortellini dressed with olive oil,balsamic, and goat cheese crumbles mmmm

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
a serving of couscous with garlic, fresh basil, paprika, lots of pepper, and some Parmesan; lots of sauteed zucchini, arugula, swiss chard, and kale, with more fresh basil and garlic; a serving of wild salmon with garlic, sage, cilantro, cayenne, and some salt; tall glass of lemon water; coffee.
I have to eat lots before I take my vitamins or I feel really sick.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
a serving of couscous with garlic, fresh basil, paprika, lots of pepper, and some Parmesan; lots of sauteed zucchini, arugula, swiss chard, and kale, with more fresh basil and garlic; a serving of wild salmon with garlic, sage, cilantro, cayenne, and some salt; tall glass of lemon water; coffee.
I have to eat lots before I take my vitamins or I feel really sick.

Couscous with parmesan... and salmon?!!?!? :shock:

That's blasphemy! Vade Retro Briochickas!

Heresy!!

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

You are aware of what a real couscous is, aren't you?

If you want to instigate an instant war between Tunisians, Algerians and Moroccans, just ask them how to make couscous and which recipe is the best of all... :devil:

But I think nonetheless that they will all agree that you should not defame their national dish with "things" like salmon and parmesan. :sick: :nono:

I know people who have been stoned for lesser offenses... :angry:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Salad. With cucumbers, basil, and cashews.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
You are aware of what a real couscous is, aren't you?
But I think nonetheless that they will all agree that you should not defame their national dish with "things" like salmon and parmesan. :sick: :nono:

I know people who have been stoned for lesser offenses... :angry:

:shock:
But...why?
I mean, it's practically pasta. :newwink:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
:shock:
But...why?
I mean, it's practically pasta. :newwink:

First of all, you should never ever ever ever use cheese in couscous. A true moroccan will use smen instead, a very specific kind of rancid butter preferably made out of sheep or goat's milk, sometimes flavored with oregano or thyme. The older your smen is, the better. Some smen are several years old, and are used for special events only.

Since smen have a very strong taste, you do not need to use a lot of them, and that's better for your health.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Second.

In a traditional couscous, meat is only optional. But when you use one, you have to use only one sort and not mix them (sheep, goat, chicken or even camel guts) so the broth can perfume the couscous grains while you cook them with water vapor. You would never use fish, or only, in some cases, very firm-fleshed white ones like grouper or sea basses (in southern Tunisia or in Algeria).

What really matters are the vegetables you use.
Traditionally, it's zucchinis, onions, carrots, turnips, chards, and of course chick peas (chick peas are cooked separately with couscous). But then, Tunisians also add peas, coriander and red, hot peppers (to make the masfouf), while Moroccans prefer a sweeter (less hot) variant, sometimes with dates, grapes, almonds and cinnamon. And in Algeria it's something between those two extremes (hot vs sweet).

Tunisians also prefer to serve the couscous with marka, on a separate small plate. Marka is a kind of puree made with tomatoes, some of the broth and (again) red hot peppers.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
In some mountainous and remote parts of Morocco or Algerian Kabylia, they can also use wild boar meat even if of course, Islam is supposed to prohibit it. But apparently, the locals don't care: wild boars are everywhere. And it can make a delicious couscous indeed. ;)

And, last but not the least, couscous is generally served every friday at noon. When I think to couscous, I think to fridays, it's part of the magic that surrounds this dish. Whether you are muslim, jew, christian, or agnostic, it will always remain associated with fridays.

Last edited:

Blackmail, you're making people afraid to post in this thread with all this judginess. :alttongue:

I do find your comments interesting though. Maybe you should start a food blog here.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
First of all, you should never ever ever ever...Second. In a traditional couscous,

Blackmail, you're making people afraid to post in this thread with all this judginess.

senza tema, I think it is a bit tongue in cheek. What blackmail is doing is sort of like telling a stranger that you can never wear white after labor day, when the person is already wearing white after labor day. You really can't expect your advice to be followed, but you can give a detailed lecture on the topic knowing your advice will never be followed.

I do expect Blackmail must have some sort of sense of humor as I am neither Moroccan nor African nor Middle Eastern nor a food traditionalist. As a clever ENTP and with the emoticons I used as a guide it is (hopefully) obvious to him/her that I will eat what flavor and texture combos I like, regardless of their sanctity.

Speaking of food; today I have eaten:
two pieces of spouted whole grain organic toast with butter on both, and honey on one. On the other I had slices of tomato, a little mozzarella, and an over easy egg with fresh thyme. I also had an organic apple. :D

I know, I know, you can never mix spouted whole grain bread and thyme.

Ah, well. :blowkiss:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And, last but not the least, couscous is generally served every friday at noon. When I think to couscous, I think to fridays, it's part of the magic that surrounds this dish. Whether you are muslim, jew, christian, or agnostic, it will always remain associated with fridays.

Interesting.... I never had that association, but it's cool to learn how it was eaten traditionally. sounds a little like the Sunday dinners some people do after church.