First 242505152535462102 Last

Thread: whatcha eating?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Second.

In a traditional couscous, meat is only optional. But when you use one, you have to use only one sort and not mix them (sheep, goat, chicken or even camel guts) so the broth can perfume the couscous grains while you cook them with water vapor. You would never use fish, or only, in some cases, very firm-fleshed white ones like grouper or sea basses (in southern Tunisia or in Algeria).

What really matters are the vegetables you use.
    Traditionally, it's zucchinis, onions, carrots, turnips, chards, and of course chick peas (chick peas are cooked separately with couscous). But then, Tunisians also add peas, coriander and red, hot peppers (to make the masfouf), while Moroccans prefer a sweeter (less hot) variant, sometimes with dates, grapes, almonds and cinnamon. And in Algeria it's something between those two extremes (hot vs sweet).

Tunisians also prefer to serve the couscous with marka, on a separate small plate. Marka is a kind of puree made with tomatoes, some of the broth and (again) red hot peppers.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

In some mountainous and remote parts of Morocco or Algerian Kabylia, they can also use wild boar meat even if of course, Islam is supposed to prohibit it. But apparently, the locals don't care: wild boars are everywhere. And it can make a delicious couscous indeed.

And, last but not the least, couscous is generally served every friday at noon. When I think to couscous, I think to fridays, it's part of the magic that surrounds this dish. Whether you are muslim, jew, christian, or agnostic, it will always remain associated with fridays.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 07-03-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Blackmail, you're making people afraid to post in this thread with all this judginess.

I do find your comments interesting though. Maybe you should start a food blog here.

MBTI
    XXFP

I want to eat a wild boar too
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

First of all, you should never ever ever ever...Second. In a traditional couscous,
    Blackmail, you're making people afraid to post in this thread with all this judginess.
    senza tema, I think it is a bit tongue in cheek. What blackmail is doing is sort of like telling a stranger that you can never wear white after labor day, when the person is already wearing white after labor day. You really can't expect your advice to be followed, but you can give a detailed lecture on the topic knowing your advice will never be followed.

I do expect Blackmail must have some sort of sense of humor as I am neither Moroccan nor African nor Middle Eastern nor a food traditionalist. As a clever ENTP and with the emoticons I used as a guide it is (hopefully) obvious to him/her that I will eat what flavor and texture combos I like, regardless of their sanctity.

Speaking of food; today I have eaten:
    two pieces of spouted whole grain organic toast with butter on both, and honey on one. On the other I had slices of tomato, a little mozzarella, and an over easy egg with fresh thyme. I also had an organic apple.

I know, I know, you can never mix spouted whole grain bread and thyme.

Ah, well.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post

And, last but not the least, couscous is generally served every friday at noon. When I think to couscous, I think to fridays, it's part of the magic that surrounds this dish. Whether you are muslim, jew, christian, or agnostic, it will always remain associated with fridays.
    Interesting.... I never had that association, but it's cool to learn how it was eaten traditionally. sounds a little like the Sunday dinners some people do after church.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

MBTI
    yupp

plain greek yogurt with honey
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

Stag Silverado Beef Chili with Beans
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

egg fu yung

MBTI
    ISFP

yellow peach.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet