• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Baby Plants - What plants do well in your area.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All about Lemons
How to grow Vegetables with little water.
Plant Zones
Looking up your state/county Plant Zones <---this zone is where you can find what plants will do well in your area. For example, my area is a fairly warm Zone 9b. Some plants that do fairly well in my area are Asparagus, Broccoli, Blackberries, and Oranges.

A quick search on Google of your zone will bring you to this site with your zone.

I've recently been fascinated with learning to grow my own fruits and vegetables, not to mention my family has a backyard that encases anything from Peppers, Chives, Peaches, and a couple of other vegetables/fruits that I can't name of at the top of my head (there is a portion of our backyard that is prone to crop rotations.)

About two weeks ago, when a family member came home with a bag of lemons (he got them near his work area,) I found out that some of them actually had seeds germinate inside the lemon. The lemons were actually quite old, meaning that they have been growing on the tree for a long while now. When I found out was when I told my family that it would be a nice idea to start growing our own lemon tree.

Why is that? One quick research and you'll find that lemons CAN grow practically year round if you can properly water and take care of it. It can also survive slightly chillier conditions(say,... San Francisco) and don't need hotter conditions (like Tomatoes) like other plants need. The other thing is that 95% of all lemons come from California and Arizona. Which, if you live outside these two states, you are most likely going to spend quite a bit of money on lemons since you don't live near the source. For a family that likes to use lemon, that is a lot of money that can be saved in the future if lemons can be grown almost year round.

So, I've been playing around with a few other fruits to see if I can germinate them while the seeds are still inside. I heard that tomatoes are an easy piece to germinate by just leaving one during the heat for a few weeks. It is probably bad that I didn't start this sooner (summer is the time when tomatoes should begin growing) but I'll see what happens come September (when summer ends.)

I can decide that an Orange tree would be a suitable fruit to grow too!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
We are in a Mediterranean climate, so you can grow a whole lot here. I work at an eight-acre nursery, so I know! I am really into drought-tolerant plants.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We are in a Mediterranean climate, so you can grow a whole lot here. I work at an eight-acre nursery, so I know! I am really into drought-tolerant plants.

I'm actually getting very interested in Citrus Trees. But upon more research, I am finding that a seed can take up to 15 years to start bearing good fruit? (Which is so much different from the other plants my family tend to grow.)

My family did buy the Tangerine Tree from a nursery a few years back though (Pruning it so that the suckers aren't taking up all the nutrients for the others to grow.) I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to just buy a few of the citrus plants from a Nursery. Like a Lemon and Orange Tree a few years old (which is about the same age as when we bought the Tangerine Tree.)

I do think I'll continue with the germinated lemon seed, but that will take quite some time to grow.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Try switching off giving them a regular organic fruit tree fertilizer with a micronutrient fert. They love that