• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Perfect Purse

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For years I never carried a purse because it was a bother, and I would tend to forget it places. Then I finally started carrying one. The two things I find most frustrating are:

1. It acts like a tetherball always whacking me when I lean over or turn around.

2. The thing I need is always at the bottom and tightly packed in, so I have to really dig to get it out.

I don't care about expensive handbags, but am searching for that cute little bag that doesn't assault me or withhold my little items from me. Anyone have any success with their handbags?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Purses not only assault me and hold my stuff hostage, I've had one try to trap me (it was in league with my seatbelt), and many have abandoned me at inopportune times (this is why I never keep cash in my purse).

I've never made peace with purses. I tend to stick things in my jeans pockets or in my coat pockets in the winter. When I have my keys, my cell, my iPod, and my stack of important plastic and paper cards (secured with a hair band), all secreted in my pants, it makes me feel a bit too bulgy and pack-mule-esque, so I've been carrying a bag about half the time.

Right now I'm carrying the free tote I got with my Books A Million discount account. I've decided that any purse I carry has to be large enough for a paperback and it helps if it's got an outside pocket for my cell. It's still such a bother, though. And I still have to dig around the bottom for my stuff, panicking because I fear I haven't put what I need (usually my ATM card) back in there.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I never used to use one, but I quite like them now.

Smaller is better, IMO. And with a short strap - just long enough to hook over your shoulder without dangling. Then it's easy to walk around with and doesn't get in the way.

I reckon work out what you need to carry each day and find the smallest bag that will fit it. My current one is probably a little too big so it's accumulating too much crap and it's hard to find my cellphone quickly if someone rings me.

I've been trying to google for a picture of somone holding a bag like mine, but I'm not having any luck so far.

Edit: ok, found one, sort of.

Handbag.jpg

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Ladies, how long are the straps on your purses? I use purses with short straps so it doesn't knock against me. You can carry them in the crook of your arm
PG.0109909NWR.PARGYPV.VA.jpg

or you can buy a purse with an adjustable strap.

You may also want to get the backpack purses or crossbodies, like this

images

or the use a hobo purse (one strap) instead of a purse with two straps. Then there's the ever fashionable fanny pack.:cheese:

You may want to invest in a purse with lots of pockets or compartments, so you won't have to search for high frequency items like keys, wallets, and cell phones. Also, the smaller your purse is it'll force you to carry essential items only. Everytime I get a big purse I inevitably find a way to fill it with a bunch of crap. Also you can group items together like it a little change purse for coins or a makeup bag for lose lipsticks or mascara.

Clean your purses out every couple of weeks so nothing won't reach up and grab your hand when you reach in.

I like the Kathy van Zeeland bags cause they're delightfully tacky. If you'd like something a little more conservative I recommend Tignanello or Franco Sarto. Those brands range in price from $50-$120 but they're well made and you should get a couple of years use from them. They're leather with strong rivets and double stitching. You'll get better prices if you shop online rather than from the store. Also stores like TJ Max and Ross tend to have quality purses at much cheaper prices. Target also has pretty good purses. I don't mess around with anything at Wal-mart.
indifferent0003.gif

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd just give up on them, but that's me. If I was a female, I would just carry stuff in my pockets like a male...

The main question is the amount of stuff you will be carrying. Go for ones with lots of pockets, both interior and exterior, to avoid small stuff loss.

My laptop case is pretty handy. I'll show you it if we ever happen across each-other when I'm in MN.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i pretty much just throw everything into the diaper bag, i look silly carrying a diaper bag and a purse, so i carry a diaper bag that is large enough to cater to the baby and myself.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
i pretty much just throw everything into the diaper bag, i look silly carrying a diaper bag and a purse, so i carry a diaper bag that is large enough to cater to the baby and myself.
That's what I did in my diaper bag years, too. I still have the denim/tapestry Carter's diaper bag my grandma bought me. :heart:

It's a silly keepsake, but I felt so spoiled having a Carter's diaper bag back then. :blush:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I love purses, I have a few no where near as some people I know. I always get them at wal-mart or target or tjmaxx or marshall's. Though I will admit they tend to be little black holes for various items. I've never had too much of a problem with my purse attacking me, though I could just not notice. I don't really like my pockets for things mostly because , growing up the pants I liked/fit always had really small pockets. And I like purses it's really that simple. I like slightly bigger ones (big enough to carry a book in)

though my mom on the other hand hates purses, and when looking at my purse collection wonders where my like of purses came from. She'll use the same purse for years, even when the strap breaks she'll tie it back together. She doesn't take her purse into the store she's like Cafe where she'll put everything she needs in her pocket.

though if you don't like purses why have one? surely you can find another place to put 95% of your items.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
though if you don't like purses why have one? surely you can find another place to put 95% of your items.
Also can't stand to have my hands full. Probably a carry over from trying to keep track of four little kids. :shock:

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
-Shakes head sadly- I will never fully understand people who do not love handbags. Anyway, I have some advice for you :) what you need is something like this:
tods-took-media-handbag.jpg

but in black, unless you wear light clothes a lot it should go with most things (or, if you prefer bold colours, go for red or a striking blue). Note the helpful pockets on the outside, these can be used for phone/keys/diary purposes, you also want a zip up pocket on the inside to keep your money in. Also, make sure it zips up at the top, not just a button or something, as that makes it much easier not to lose stuff. Next, some everyday handbag packing tips to make things easier to get out :D
1. All small things (keys, pens, change, phone) should go in pockets (either in your clothes or in handy pockets in the bag), they should not be loose.
2. All large flat things (such as books) must be slid in so they are vertical, else you will never get them out, they should also be pushed to one side of the bag (see point 4)
3. Large things that you will rarely need should go at the bottom if they cannot be slid in vertically like books, but you have to prepare yourself for a struggle when the time comes to take them out, and if it is VERY unlikely that you will need it, it is best to just leave it out.
4. All medium sized objects should be squished in next to the books etc., where you hopefully left a gap, and they should be on the side of the inside zip up pocket so it is easier to get to.
5. Any bottles should be upright, tucked at the ends of the bag so they are supported by everything else.

Ugh, I do have a life really. Honestly. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Also can't stand to have my hands full. Probably a carry over from trying to keep track of four little kids. :shock:

I don't mean carry it in your hands I mean another bag that's not a purse. Like if you carry around a bag for work/school why not put your things in their. Though I guess not everyone has a reason to carry a bag so bad idea. Or carry around a backpack. No worries of being attacked by your purse. Just throwing out ideas, it never occured to me to not carry a purse.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
My mother reduced from a proper giant mommy-bag to a little snap-shut pocketbook thing about a decade ago. She doesn't seem to miss the bag, though it seems that she has more trouble keeping track of the pocketbook (she would often leave it somewhere in one of my cars, like under the seat, and search everywhere for it)

It is much nicer, I'd say.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't mean carry it in your hands I mean another bag that's not a purse. Like if you carry around a bag for work/school why not put your things in their. Though I guess not everyone has a reason to carry a bag so bad idea. Or carry around a backpack. No worries of being attacked by your purse. Just throwing out ideas, it never occured to me to not carry a purse.
I guess I wasn't specifically thinking purse. :doh: In my brain 'purse' is more like 'bag you carry your crap around in.' My brain is wonky like that. :blush:

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have one purse I use every day unless it's a special dress occasion and I need to match shoes. Even then it takes a lot for me to transfer everything out of one purse to another, but I carry less to a wedding, funeral or synagogue, so it's not much trouble. Doing that every day would drive me crazy.

As someone suggested above, I use book bags. I can easily carry and find a book, pencil, notebook, water, snackbar and apple, as well as a wallet and keys when necessary. It's open and roomy, so searching for things isn't as big a problem. The person who suggested a small purse is right on. Small purse, big bag works the best for me.

That said, currently I have a Sak purse which is very sturdy but LONG and things are constantly getting lost in it, especially keys which are heavy and sink to the bottom. Lipstick is also hard to locate.

Thanks for the discussion. I think I need to get a smaller purse asap.

Jae Rae

alicia91

I love hand bags! I've tried every shape and size over the years and I find the best ones can go over the shoulder but don't dangle too far down, and has several compartments to keep things organized. As cute as some of the more unstructured ones are, they just aren't practical and everything just ends up in a mess on the bottom. So I'm always on the hunt for a more structured bag that doesn't look matronly.

WobblyStilettos gave excellent advice in her post.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I love purses/handbags! I just bought this and the coin purse for my birthday.
P1090583.jpg

I don't like purses that are too large, but too small would be useless to me.

Here's a website that may be useful. PurseBlog.com

How about this one? ;P

prada-fairy-bag1.jpg

Last edited:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm feeling the sudden urge to make my own purse. Problem is, I'll have to do it in fabric. Maybe if I love it I'll get a leather worker to make a leather one based on my fabric model. This could be fun. :holy: And expensive. :dry:

MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate purses, but I like my last two because they're cool and functional (small shapeless one-compartment cloth shoulder bags)yet sentimental. My current one was made by my sister-in-law. The one I had before that my brother bought for me in Guatemala.

I can't see myself owning anything like the bags pictured above. I suppose I'll have to grow up eventually, but I hate the idea of carrying a suitcase around. Fuck that.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Timbuk2 messenger bags are great for getting organized. They have pockets for everything so you never lose your keys, pens, cell phone, or ID. I use an extra-small sized one for my everyday purse, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I usually carry around some kind of purse. I have to have a book and psp with me at all times. I don't use it everyday, but it can get boring when left for long periods of time in public places. Those activities deter strangers from talking to me.