• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

gahh... ''Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists''

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
''Eyeless shrimp and fish with lesions are becoming common, with BP oil pollution believed to be the likely cause.

New Orleans, LA - "The fishermen have never seen anything like this," Dr Jim Cowan told Al Jazeera. "And in my 20 years working on red snapper, looking at somewhere between 20 and 30,000 fish, I've never seen anything like this either."

Dr Cowan, with Louisiana State University's Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences started hearing about fish with sores and lesions from fishermen in November 2010.

Cowan's findings replicate those of others living along vast areas of the Gulf Coast that have been impacted by BP's oil and dispersants.

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP's 2010 oil disaster.

Along with collapsing fisheries, signs of malignant impact on the regional ecosystem are ominous: horribly mutated shrimp, fish with oozing sores, underdeveloped blue crabs lacking claws, eyeless crabs and shrimp - and interviewees' fingers point towards BP's oil pollution disaster as being the cause.''

...Anyone see this article?

more indepth below-
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/04/201241682318260912.html

:ack!: Discuss.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*shakes head*

Figures.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone else feel like presenting the bill to BP for this? Loss in income for fishing companies, loss of livelihood for several employees no doubt, higher prices for the consumer, due to scarcity and extra health inspections, not to mention perhaps an introduction program of multiple healthy specimen of the species affected and of course continuous water control checks and ongoing purification?

Permabanned
Anyone else feel like presenting the bill to BP for this? Loss in income for fishing companies, loss of livelihood for several employees no doubt, not to mention perhaps an introduction program of multiple healthy specimen of the species affected and of course continuous water control checks and ongoing purification?

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are they still edible?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on who you ask. The obvious response from the official agencies is "yes". Personally, I wouldn't go near it with a stick.
Enjoy your sushi.
It's rather disturbing, yes. But you never know what it'll be at southern seafood restaurants another 5 years from now.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why chance it? Are you hoping to gain superpowers from eyeless, tumor-riddled mutant seafood?

This is the most recent article I can find. Seems they'll be opening to fishers July 15th. :sick:

http://www.thevindicator.com/sports/article_b389a91c-cba3-11e1-b20c-001a4bcf887a.html

:edit: I'll add this here, too, from our good ol' FDA.
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/ucm251969.htm
I'd never go near the stuff myself. Just pondering about whether they'll be used through means of legalities to sell or serve later on. Perhaps a lot has been served already. The thought is unpleasant.
You mean: 'are tiny chicks cooked in gasoline still edible'?

Sure. Bon appetit.
Was this done before? Perhaps a story I've missed.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Anyone else feel like presenting the bill to BP for this? Loss in income for fishing companies, loss of livelihood for several employees no doubt, higher prices for the consumer, due to scarcity and extra health inspections, not to mention perhaps an introduction program of multiple healthy specimen of the species affected and of course continuous water control checks and ongoing purification?

They already need to pay billions of dollars (something like 20x their yearly profit). We might want to increase the amount they will have to pay back, however the likely effect will be their bankruptcy.
Another option would simply see the american government obtain BP's full royalties - their profits will have to be given to the american govt...forever.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Delightful. Now all that remains to be seen is the effect of this on the higher level carnivores, fish and seabirds etc. (and, dare I say it, humans, if the FDA manages to push it through...). Mm, biomagnification.