• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spider love thread

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Since my babies all left yesterday, I want to post about spiders more than I usually do. A phidippus audax made a nest by my door and the eggs hatched, yesterday all the tiny spiderlings began their migration. There was a bunch of them just hanging out on the door glass and they were fun to watch. Little pin head sized jumping spider babies that were so cute! They slowly migrated away one by one during the day until finally none were left when the sun went down.

Anyway. This is now the spider thread. The spider love thread, not the spider hate thread! These are all gentle and friendly spiders. They don't bite typically and even if you manage to provoke one into biting, the bite is minor and harmless to humans.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sadly addicted to this show, & the spider ones are always the most interesting/entertaining.

[YOUTUBE="OfropwMh_sM"]:cool:[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="wLGf6V7rmaM"]variety in adaptation[/YOUTUBE]

It's both informative content-wise, & hilarious in its tacky approach-- along with the overly intense narration/strange backing music, they intermittently add these random sound effects to the bugs, like wild boars, lions, and I swear I heard a dolphin once..

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, a friend of mine had one of these- I held her a few times- surprisingly light in weight. Very docile.
I think of them as ugly hamsters. :yes:

[google image search pic as example]
Pink%20Toed%20Tarantula.jpg

article on Pink Toed Tarantula pets.
http://www.independent.co.uk/proper...-the-week-the-pinktoed-tarantula-1810982.html

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Spiders get a bad rap. I don't freak about creepy crawlies because my dad had me hold worms and spiders (daddy long legs) as a little girl. Thanks dad!!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*cries*

Okay. I'm here. I'm trying.
It's an exercise in counterphobia for me.

I actually do get up close and watch spiders, if I think they won't jump on me. I'm as fascinated by them as I'm terrified by them.

T

The Iron Giant

This is the goliath birdeater tarantula!

I knew them as Haitian Birdeaters when I worked in the pet industry. They're a huge tarantula, I think the world's largest. I read the name comes from the explorers who discovered it... it happened to be eating a hummingbird at the time.

largest-tarantula.jpg

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
This is the goliath birdeater tarantula!

I knew them as Haitian Birdeaters when I worked in the pet industry. They're a huge tarantula, I think the world's largest. I read the name comes from the explorers who discovered it... it happened to be eating a hummingbird at the time.

largest-tarantula.jpg

That is a big spidey!

So is this one. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Creepiest thread evar!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:holy: Cat-Faced Orb Weaver

catface5.jpg
0.jpg

:: By Whitney Cranshaw, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension, Entomology

"One of the most common but unusual spiders people encounter late in the season is the cat-face spider, Araneus gemmoides. It tends to make its webs near lights and in corners along the outside of buildings. Full-grown females can be quite large and have a combination of odd projections on the abdomen as well as dark indentation markings that some say resemble the ears and eyes of a cat.

Despite their large size and bizarre appearance, cat-face spiders are harmless to humans."

Photo: Linda Cantrill ::

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ohhh, I love spiders. I used to run out and try to catch little ones when I was younger. I'd keep them in a jar and try to feed them other bugs I caught. This was of course before I realized that they couldn't survive like that, and then I'd get upset when they died...

A

Anew Leaf

*cries*

Okay. I'm here. I'm trying.
It's an exercise in counterphobia for me.

I actually do get up close and watch spiders, if I think they won't jump on me. I'm as fascinated by them as I'm terrified by them.

Hold me!!! :cry:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Awesome thread. I like to save spiders and put them outside before they are eliminated in some cruel manner.

I love slugs and snails. I always pick them up and hold them for a little while. They are so freaking cute with their little feelers. My customers at work think I'm crazy when I "save" them and put them outside, and I think they're crazy for not thinking they're adorable.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there's one i let bite me on occasion.

he lives on the windowsill in front of my sofa and keeps an eye on things. he's beautiful and kills mosquitoes, which i detest. sometimes i open the window and have a nap. he'll come down, bite me and go back to the window later. i guess we have an arrangement.

i just realized he's getting big.

Permabanned
there's one i let bite me on occasion.

he lives on the windowsill in front of my sofa and keeps an eye on things. he's beautiful and kills mosquitoes, which i detest. sometimes i open the window and have a nap. he'll come down, bite me and go back to the window later. i guess we have an arrangement.

i just realized he's getting big.
How big?