User Tag List

123 Last

Default Bicycle Care and Maintenance

Not sure if there's a thread for this yet or not. Post questions, info, facts, answers, etc.

How often should I apply chain lube? I know that a lot of people tend to over-apply, and that that causes dirt and crud to accumulate on the chain or gears. How do you tell when it needs more?

My prior bike was a mountain bike I owned since I was 14, so I have never had a proper bicycle or cared for it properly.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Not sure if there's a thread for this yet or not. Post questions, info, facts, answers, etc.

How often should I apply chain lube? I know that a lot of people tend to over-apply, and that that causes dirt and crud to accumulate on the chain or gears. How do you tell when it needs more?

My prior bike was a mountain bike I owned since I was 14, so I have never had a proper bicycle or cared for it properly.
    You always need to clean your chain before you re-apply lube. Generally, I'd suggest cleaning the chain every 200 kms for a race bike, every 80 for a mountain bike (or even less when it's autumn or winter).
    If you don't do that, lube will mix with dirt and form an even thicker layer...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Is one kind of lube better than/preferable to another?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Is one kind of lube better than/preferable to another?
    Ceramic-based lube is generally the best, since the lack of metallic materials prevents the formation of tiny rust particles along the chain. Then you have "wet" or "dry" variations: wet variations get easily dirty, but the lube sticks for a long time; dry variations don't get dirty, but they wash off easily. For a "city" bike, I'd recommend dry variations, since you don't want to accidentally get your working clothes full of dirty lube.

On my race bike, I use this type of lube: http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...c_wax_lube.htm

It's really not that expensive, around 6 dollars for a small bottle that will last 1 year.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You always need to clean your chain before you re-apply lube. Generally, I'd suggest cleaning the chain every 200 kms for a race bike, every 80 for a mountain bike (or even less when it's autumn or winter).
    If you don't do that, lube will mix with dirt and form an even thicker layer...
    Ah, based on distance. That's a good metric. In terms of cleaning, I just wipe it with a rag and some solvent to clean. Do you recommend the whole remove chain and soak in a jar routine every time, or just once a year or two or something?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Ah, based on distance. That's a good metric. In terms of cleaning, I just wipe it with a rag and some solvent to clean. Do you recommend the whole remove chain and soak in a jar routine every time, or just once a year or two or something?
    Some of my friends do that everytime, but it's a pain in the ass imho lol, so I just do it like you.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I ride roads, and have some wax type dry lube as well.

I lube my chain about once a month (maybe a little less) and haven't had any problems.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Best piece of advice for riders who don't already know this:

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.
    That's def some good advice, esp. if you ride in a spirited manner (jumping curbs and whatnot). I get free tune ups from the Trek store I picked up my bike from. I take it in about once a month and get them to check the gears, chain, cables, and tires (pretty much all common use failure items).

They also always pump up my tires for me. I think this will work for me until I can afford some more bike stuff (a pump, padded shorts etc.)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

Really, every time? Is this only for road bikes? I have a hybrid and I pump the tires only when they feel too flat, usually just a couple times in the season, and don't have any problems with flat tires. I'd probably wreck a road bike with the amount of rough stuff I go over, though.
    -end of thread-