• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bicycle Care and Maintenance

gromit

likes this
Not sure if there's a thread for this yet or not. Post questions, info, facts, answers, etc.

How often should I apply chain lube? I know that a lot of people tend to over-apply, and that that causes dirt and crud to accumulate on the chain or gears. How do you tell when it needs more?

My prior bike was a mountain bike I owned since I was 14, so I have never had a proper bicycle or cared for it properly.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Not sure if there's a thread for this yet or not. Post questions, info, facts, answers, etc.

How often should I apply chain lube? I know that a lot of people tend to over-apply, and that that causes dirt and crud to accumulate on the chain or gears. How do you tell when it needs more?

My prior bike was a mountain bike I owned since I was 14, so I have never had a proper bicycle or cared for it properly.

You always need to clean your chain before you re-apply lube. Generally, I'd suggest cleaning the chain every 200 kms for a race bike, every 80 for a mountain bike (or even less when it's autumn or winter).
If you don't do that, lube will mix with dirt and form an even thicker layer...

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Is one kind of lube better than/preferable to another?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Is one kind of lube better than/preferable to another?

Ceramic-based lube is generally the best, since the lack of metallic materials prevents the formation of tiny rust particles along the chain. Then you have "wet" or "dry" variations: wet variations get easily dirty, but the lube sticks for a long time; dry variations don't get dirty, but they wash off easily. For a "city" bike, I'd recommend dry variations, since you don't want to accidentally get your working clothes full of dirty lube.

On my race bike, I use this type of lube: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/ceramic_wax_lube.htm

It's really not that expensive, around 6 dollars for a small bottle that will last 1 year.

gromit

likes this
You always need to clean your chain before you re-apply lube. Generally, I'd suggest cleaning the chain every 200 kms for a race bike, every 80 for a mountain bike (or even less when it's autumn or winter).
If you don't do that, lube will mix with dirt and form an even thicker layer...

Ah, based on distance. That's a good metric. In terms of cleaning, I just wipe it with a rag and some solvent to clean. Do you recommend the whole remove chain and soak in a jar routine every time, or just once a year or two or something?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ah, based on distance. That's a good metric. In terms of cleaning, I just wipe it with a rag and some solvent to clean. Do you recommend the whole remove chain and soak in a jar routine every time, or just once a year or two or something?

Some of my friends do that everytime, but it's a pain in the ass imho lol, so I just do it like you.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I ride roads, and have some wax type dry lube as well.

I lube my chain about once a month (maybe a little less) and haven't had any problems.

Usehername

On a mission
Best piece of advice for riders who don't already know this:

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.

That's def some good advice, esp. if you ride in a spirited manner (jumping curbs and whatnot). I get free tune ups from the Trek store I picked up my bike from. I take it in about once a month and get them to check the gears, chain, cables, and tires (pretty much all common use failure items).

They also always pump up my tires for me. I think this will work for me until I can afford some more bike stuff (a pump, padded shorts etc.)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Really, every time? Is this only for road bikes? I have a hybrid and I pump the tires only when they feel too flat, usually just a couple times in the season, and don't have any problems with flat tires. I'd probably wreck a road bike with the amount of rough stuff I go over, though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh I have a bike question: how often do you really need to replace the chain? I've heard one year/random distances floated around, but I've had my bike for 5-6 years without any issues, riding maybe 30m/day on average for 4-5 months of the year. The gears just started skipping a bit this year so I'm guessing I've pushed it too far, unless that's something else.

(Yeah, I abuse my bike :cheese: )

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
^ Replace the chain when it no longer shifts efficiently. If the bike is old, just go get a new chain at the local bike shop. Have them check for stretch.
Clean before lube, always.
I use a drier, silicon-based lube (White Lightening? I think?).

gromit

likes this

Do you use a pressure gauge? What if they already feel firm, still inflate anyway?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Every time? Then you're not pumping right :D Every time is way too much unless you always ride more than 70 miles...

If I pump my race bike a 8.5 bar then I can cycle around 150 kms before they go back down to 7.5...

Oh I have a bike question: how often do you really need to replace the chain? I've heard one year/random distances floated around, but I've had my bike for 5-6 years without any issues, riding maybe 30m/day on average for 4-5 months of the year. The gears just started skipping a bit this year so I'm guessing I've pushed it too far, unless that's something else.

Around 5000 kms for new bikes. This distance must be progressively reduced for older bikes, since the gears are less "intact" and thus more chain-consuming.

For 30 m/day at say 25 km/h for 5 months, that'll mean around every 3-4 years.

usually just a couple times in the season

Mmm well that doesn't seem enough? I guess once every two weeks should do, given your distances?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mmm well that doesn't seem enough? I guess once every two weeks should do, given your distances?

I guess I could, but they really don't seem to lose much air other than over the winter. Is there any downside to biking with not-perfectly-full tires other than it being a bit more work? I've only gotten one flat in the whole time I've had my bike, and I'm pretty sure that was from running over something nasty. It has pretty hardcore tires though. My next bike will have thinner tires, I think.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the foldable road bicycles - I'm considering getting one of those when I relocate, for the space saving purposes, as there won't be anywhere I'll be able to keep a full-sized bike, except in the back of my car/trunk.. and that's just a hassle.

Anything I should know about the folding ones?

F

FigerPuppet

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the foldable road bicycles - I'm considering getting one of those when I relocate, for the space saving purposes, as there won't be anywhere I'll be able to keep a full-sized bike, except in the back of my car/trunk.. and that's just a hassle.

Anything I should know about the folding ones?

I've heard that they're very flimsy.

gromit

likes this
I would agree, they don't seem as sturdy or as quick as a road or mountain bike. Their main strength is in convenience. I see people use them as part of their commute because they are the only type of bicycle allowed on the subway during rush hour. So they might bike a mile or two to the station, fold it up, and then take the train awhile, then bike to work. If I lived further from a station and still wanted to ride the train, then I might consider that.

Because of how my commute is now, I travel purely on a bicycle, no train or bus at all. So I wanted a solid, sturdy road bike.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would agree, they don't seem as sturdy or as quick as a road or mountain bike. Their main strength is in convenience. I see people use them as part of their commute because they are the only type of bicycle allowed on the subway during rush hour. So they might bike a mile or two to the station, fold it up, and then take the train awhile, then bike to work. If I lived further from a station and still wanted to ride the train, then I might consider that.

Because of how my commute is now, I travel purely on a bicycle, no train or bus at all. So I wanted a solid, sturdy road bike.

I should've known it was too good to be true. :cry: