User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh I have a bike question: how often do you really need to replace the chain? I've heard one year/random distances floated around, but I've had my bike for 5-6 years without any issues, riding maybe 30m/day on average for 4-5 months of the year. The gears just started skipping a bit this year so I'm guessing I've pushed it too far, unless that's something else.

(Yeah, I abuse my bike )
    -end of thread-

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

^ Replace the chain when it no longer shifts efficiently. If the bike is old, just go get a new chain at the local bike shop. Have them check for stretch.
    Clean before lube, always.
    I use a drier, silicon-based lube (White Lightening? I think?).

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Best piece of advice for riders who don't already know this:

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.
    Do you use a pressure gauge? What if they already feel firm, still inflate anyway?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Best piece of advice for riders who don't already know this:

Invest in a floor pump, and inflate your tires every time you go out for a ride. Most flats are your own fault for not having proper pressure.
    Every time? Then you're not pumping right Every time is way too much unless you always ride more than 70 miles...

If I pump my race bike a 8.5 bar then I can cycle around 150 kms before they go back down to 7.5...

Oh I have a bike question: how often do you really need to replace the chain? I've heard one year/random distances floated around, but I've had my bike for 5-6 years without any issues, riding maybe 30m/day on average for 4-5 months of the year. The gears just started skipping a bit this year so I'm guessing I've pushed it too far, unless that's something else.
    Around 5000 kms for new bikes. This distance must be progressively reduced for older bikes, since the gears are less "intact" and thus more chain-consuming.

For 30 m/day at say 25 km/h for 5 months, that'll mean around every 3-4 years.

usually just a couple times in the season
    Mmm well that doesn't seem enough? I guess once every two weeks should do, given your distances?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Mmm well that doesn't seem enough? I guess once every two weeks should do, given your distances?
    I guess I could, but they really don't seem to lose much air other than over the winter. Is there any downside to biking with not-perfectly-full tires other than it being a bit more work? I've only gotten one flat in the whole time I've had my bike, and I'm pretty sure that was from running over something nasty. It has pretty hardcore tires though. My next bike will have thinner tires, I think.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the foldable road bicycles - I'm considering getting one of those when I relocate, for the space saving purposes, as there won't be anywhere I'll be able to keep a full-sized bike, except in the back of my car/trunk.. and that's just a hassle.

Anything I should know about the folding ones?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the foldable road bicycles - I'm considering getting one of those when I relocate, for the space saving purposes, as there won't be anywhere I'll be able to keep a full-sized bike, except in the back of my car/trunk.. and that's just a hassle.

Anything I should know about the folding ones?
    I've heard that they're very flimsy.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I've heard that they're very flimsy.
    NO U

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

I would agree, they don't seem as sturdy or as quick as a road or mountain bike. Their main strength is in convenience. I see people use them as part of their commute because they are the only type of bicycle allowed on the subway during rush hour. So they might bike a mile or two to the station, fold it up, and then take the train awhile, then bike to work. If I lived further from a station and still wanted to ride the train, then I might consider that.

Because of how my commute is now, I travel purely on a bicycle, no train or bus at all. So I wanted a solid, sturdy road bike.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I would agree, they don't seem as sturdy or as quick as a road or mountain bike. Their main strength is in convenience. I see people use them as part of their commute because they are the only type of bicycle allowed on the subway during rush hour. So they might bike a mile or two to the station, fold it up, and then take the train awhile, then bike to work. If I lived further from a station and still wanted to ride the train, then I might consider that.

Because of how my commute is now, I travel purely on a bicycle, no train or bus at all. So I wanted a solid, sturdy road bike.
    I should've known it was too good to be true.