• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does your garden grow?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Does anyone else garden? I finally have a place to do it, and I'm enjoying it a lot. My dad gardened when I was a kid, so I have some basic facility with it, though I'm no expert.

Currently planted: 3 varieties of bell peppers, cayenne peppers, tabasco peppers (planted away from each other, though it's a community garden so people have planted whatever they want, so I might end up with crazy spicy bell peppers anyway). Three varieties of heirloom tomatoes, which are growing so. freaking. slowly. Sweet basil, thai basil, oregano, cilantro, sweet mint, rosemary, dill, and sage. Cucumbers. Catnip. Oh, and okra.

Really, I'm just dying for my tomatoes to get going. I have one fruit on the vine. To save space, I tried those topsy-turvey planters, which I do not recommend (they're doing okay, but it's just a dumb gimmick).

I spent some time fertilizing them on Sunday afternoon, and my pepper plants seem a little greener (they were kind of pale) after getting some fish emulsion and plant-tone. I need to spend time weeding (but also need to spend time writing lesson plans and doing work for this grant writing class, so I might see if I can trick the eight year-old across the parking lot into hanging out with me and pickin' weeds).

What's happening in the dirt where you are?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
My brother tried to start an herb garden but I think there was too much shade. Everything died. We got rid of all of our fruit trees, mostly the squirrels and our dogs would eat from them. Right now, I'm trying to grow privacy trees/hedges for a bald patch in our fence. If you have any experience with that, please share, my modesty demands it. :dry:

Mostly the front and back yard look fine, my dad is an architect and he did the basic landscaping lay out but then I think things got haywire when we threw some money at a gardener to finish it up. Now there are smidgens of bushes and trees dotting the place and I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like full grown and what the actual vision was. We are also big fans of tanbark.

The only greenthumb in my family is my mom, at least, she's the only one who shows any extended interest in the green stuff outside our house.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In answer to your thread title; photosynthesis.

Also; reproduction like, seeds and stuff... J/k, I garden, for liesure, and to keep my house looking neat... I tend the gardens, I have 2, a front one and a back one. 'My front graden' 'My back garden'... The back garden's bigger.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Today I learned that I can pollinate my tomato plants with an electric toothbrush. Apparently the reason so many of my blooms have been drying out is that the bees haven't been all-up-ins the way nature prefers. Enter vibrating toothbrush solution. (Here's a link about it!)

gromit

likes this
This year my roommate is in on it with me. We have some herbs (chive, parsley, basil doing well) and also a couple tomatoes, a zucchini, and several bush beans.

Today I learned that I can pollinate my tomato plants with an electric toothbrush. Apparently the reason so many of my blooms have been drying out is that the bees haven't been all-up-ins the way nature prefers. Enter vibrating toothbrush solution. (Here's a link about it!)

I have never heard of that! I like to mix in some flowers with my vegetable plants. I like to think that it attracts bees more. But also they are pretty.

N

NPcomplete

My mom somehow got me involved in her garden plans. So now we have chives, basil, thyme, mint, tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, peppers, egg plants, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower. I think that's it. Ooh and beans.

There's a cherry tree as well but we didn't get a lot of fruits this year because of the silly weather.

I really really want strawberry "plants" but maybe next year. (Anticipatory :drool: )

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's happening in the dirt where you are?

I have a few years' worth of extnesive photos from my various gardening/landscaping projects from when I lived in Florida.
They are in my blog ("Halla74's Flipbook - Glimpses Into the Frenzy">

Also, I will be moving into a new house on 8-17-2012, and must be rebuild the landscape from scratch, and will be doing some extensive planning and serial projects that will be photographed and shared here.

One site I like right now is: http://online-garden-design.designofgarden.com/herb-garden-design-plans/

These are my two faves from it, ATM...

garden-design-ideas-photos-1.jpg

AND...

images

My Mother's maiden name is "Marz" - which translated back to old German during the days of the Roman occupation in the Rheinland Pfalz region roughly translates to "Gardener."
My Mom has always had a heavenly garden, all around the house, front yard, back yard, sides, everywhere - there is botanical beauty.
I inherited this love of gardening from her, and it has been an immense source of joy and contentment in my life.

:solidarity:

-Alex

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I tried, but i'm bad at remembering to water the garden so my mom's taken over. I need something that vocalizes and goes hey feed me! like I'm good at keeping my cat alive because he meows at me when he needs something.

gromit

likes this
I have a few years' worth of extnesive photos from my various gardening/landscaping projects from when I lived in Florida.

Also, I will be moving into a new house on 8-17-2012, and must be rebuild the landscape from scratch, and will be doing some extensive planning and serial projects that will be photographed and shared here.

One site I like right now is: http://online-garden-design.designofgarden.com/herb-garden-design-plans/

AND...

images

My Mother's maiden name is "Marz" - which translated back to old German during the days of the Roman occupation in the Rheinland Pfalz region roughly translates to "Gardener."
My Mom has always had a heavenly garden, all around the house, front yard, back yard, sides, everywhere - there is botanical beauty.
I inherited this love of gardening from her, and it has been an immense source of joy and contentment in my life.

-Alex

Halla I like those gardens that incorporate a patio. Exciting that you get to start afresh and build up something new at the new place (although sad about moving on from something you've invested in for years).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Halla I like those gardens that incorporate a patio.

Me too, Gromit.
They satisfy my need for a balance between form and function.
Is that what appeals to you also, by chance?

BTW ---> :hug: for you!

-Alex

Exciting that you get to start afresh and build up something new at the new place (although sad about moving on from something you've invested in for years).

Indeed the fresh start is exciting.
I am not saddened by leaving my old house behind.
It was my first masterpiece.
It was a HUGE learning experience.
I built up the landscape beginning with drainiage control and installation of limestone boulder beds in the front yard for setting up the palette. ($5,000)
Then I invested in two specimen palm trees for the front yard to initiate the prime aesthetic effect desired ($1,000)
The backyard was landscaped for scenery, and also to be low maintenance where the lard was low + one more specimen palm tree. ($2,750)
Two new levels of decks were installed in the back to create a three-level tiered area for entertainmnet of various kinds. ($3,000)
The rest was filled in over time as I bought beautiful specimens (trees, bushes, vines, etc.) and also was given some by neighbors.
It all came together beautifully.

My goal with the new house is to create an equally impressive and functional landscape at half the cost.
I also want it ot be as low mainteneance as possible.
My belief is that a blend of 70% bushes/trees positioned appropriately with 30% perennial flowering plants disperesed amongst the primary foliage creates a yard that looks good year round, and has dashes of beauty and flair as each flowering specimen makes its appearance each year.

-Alex

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
This year my roommate is in on it with me. We have some herbs (chive, parsley, basil doing well) and also a couple tomatoes, a zucchini, and several bush beans.

I have never heard of that! I like to mix in some flowers with my vegetable plants. I like to think that it attracts bees more. But also they are pretty.

Yes--I hadn't thought of it until recently (I have a "gardens are best for FOOD" bias, though flowers are lovely and I would like to grow them also--I just have so little space) and I think I'm going to do that next time. Actually, whoever has the garden box next to mine (it's a community garden) hasn't planted anything so it's just a mess of weeds and grass right now, so I am thinking of just planting flowers there also.

My mom somehow got me involved in her garden plans. So now we have chives, basil, thyme, mint, tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, peppers, egg plants, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower. I think that's it. Ooh and beans.

There's a cherry tree as well but we didn't get a lot of fruits this year because of the silly weather.

I really really want strawberry "plants" but maybe next year. (Anticipatory :drool: )

I was super excited about my broccoli this spring. It got hot and my plants started bolting so I just harvested everything... but I discovered my new love for broccoli greens. So much nom.

AND...

images

-Alex

Amazing pictures :)

N

NPcomplete

I was super excited about my broccoli this spring. It got hot and my plants started bolting so I just harvested everything... but I discovered my new love for broccoli greens. So much nom.

How do you prepare the broccoli greens? That would make my mom happy (I think).

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
How do you prepare the broccoli greens? That would make my mom happy (I think).

I sautee them in a little olive oil with diced onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, and soy sauce. When I was researching on the internets about whether I should eat them, I couldn't find that much in the way of recipes, so I wasn't sure if they'd be yummy. They are a little on the bitter side, but I really like them (especially with LOADS garlic and ginger, which is kind of how I roll usually).

N

NPcomplete

I sautee them in a little olive oil with diced onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, and soy sauce. When I was researching on the internets about whether I should eat them, I couldn't find that much in the way of recipes, so I wasn't sure if they'd be yummy. They are a little on the bitter side, but I really like them (especially with LOADS garlic and ginger, which is kind of how I roll usually).

Niiiiiice! Thanks. :)

[Garlic and ginger = land of awesome]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGvd1UPZ88"]The Garden[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVGIsFW9rQ&feature=relmfu"]The Garden[/YOUTUBE]

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I work at a very large nursery, so my garden is at work, but my garden at home consists of indoor plants.

In my room I have a zamioculcas zamiifolia and a pachira, and they are my loves.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I work at a very large nursery, so my garden is at work, but my garden at home consists of indoor plants.

In my room I have a zamioculcas zamiifolia and a pachira, and they are my loves.

I've got a pothos now and this peace lily that I've had since my brother's funeral that was teetering on the edge of death when I moved (due to my never being home at my old place) but that has lots of new life on it. I've been thinking about investigating 1. air plants, and 2. succulents.

:) plants are green yaaayyy

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yep clean air plants all the way. Fake plants :sick:

Edit: oh air plants like tillandsia?